C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wilwood Brake Caliper & Rotor options

Old 12-23-2013, 12:38 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Wilwood Brake Caliper & Rotor options

Okay, so I've decided to go with the Wilwood option for my LS restomod. Now the question is which option to choose. The first option is their front & back big brake package. $3200

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILWOOD-DISC-BRAKE-KIT-65-82-CORVETTE-C2-C3-13-RED-DRL-/220612370222?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item335d859f2e
These Big Brake kits require at least 17" diameter wheels.

Front kit includes parts for both front wheels:
•Drilled & Slotted, 1.25" Thick x 13.06" O.D. Rotors
•Billet Superlite 6R Calipers - Red
•Caliper Mounting Brackets
•Spindle Mounting Brackets
•BP Smart Compound Brake Pads
•Brake Hats, &
•All Hardware necessary to install the complete braking system on both front wheels

Rear kit includes parts for both rear wheels:
•Drilled & Slotted, 1.10" Thick x 12.90" O.D. Rotors
•Billet Superlite 4R Calipers - Red
•Brake Hats, &
•All Hardware necessary to install the complete braking system on both rear wheels

Or I can buy separate caliper and rotor packages:

$1350 for the caliper Kit, includes parts for both front wheels:
•D8-6 Calipers - 6 Piston - Red
•BP-10 Smart Compound Brake Pads
•Stainless Steel Flexline Kit for Both Front Wheels

Kit includes parts for both rear wheels:
•D8-4 Calipers - 4 Piston - Red
•Stainless Steel Flexline Kit for Both Rear Wheels

Then add on rotors for $450 (Wilwood Rotor Kit Front/Rear Drilled 65-82 Corvette C2/C3 (1Pc) 140-11727-D) and now I have a total cost of $1800.

So for the extra $1400 I get the superlite calipers and bigger 2 piece rotors. Am I missing something here? This seems like a lot of extra cost and no real added benefit? Is there a significant upgrade in performance to the bigger brake package?

Last edited by CWerner; 12-23-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:46 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I use BP 20 pads in my wilwood calipers and I have the most important item. The "Thermloc piston option"

how about option #3.

Front kit includes parts for both front wheels:
•Drilled & Slotted, 1.25" Thick x 13.06" O.D. Rotors
•Billet Superlite 6R Calipers - Red
•Spindle Mounting Brackets
•Brake Hats, &
•All Hardware necessary to install the complete braking system on both front wheels

Kit includes parts for both rear wheels:
•D8-4 Calipers - 4 Piston - Red
•Stainless Steel Flexline Kit for Both Rear Wheels
Old 12-24-2013, 10:12 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

That's a good option. I'm still wondering about what the big advantage is going from D8 std rotors to big brakes with 2 piece rotor. I've looked for trade articles but can't find any info. Looked on wilwood site and found nothing there either.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Try doing an advanced search on The Forum. When I did mine a few back I think I recall some posts about improved stopping distance by a memeber.

I went with the 6 piston front, 4 piston rear big brake package (2 piece, slotted only rotors) and it definitely seems to stop much shorter than previously. At the same time I did the Wilwood's I replaced the power booster/master cylinder with a billet aluminum master cylinder and an ABS electric booster so that regardless of engine rpm/vacuum the brakes are rock solid, its a great combo that I highly recommend. Saves weight at the wheel and under the hood. Tube A-Arms & QA coil overs all around take it to the next level.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:41 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CWerner
That's a good option. I'm still wondering about what the big advantage is going from D8 std rotors to big brakes with 2 piece rotor. I've looked for trade articles but can't find any info. Looked on wilwood site and found nothing there either.
The advantages to the aluminum hat two piece rotors:

The biggest thing is heat transfer from the outer steel rotor to the aluminum hat. With lots of heat x-fer it melts the wheel bearing grease.

Then weight and probably cost of just bolting on a new rotor ring.

If you have good enough tires and brakes on the front. When you stomp on the brakes, so much weight is transfered forward that you only want less rear line pressure, small rear calipers, and rotors to keep from locking the rears
Old 12-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

What's your reasoning for the brake setup change? Thirty two hundred bucks is a lot of money. Is your car going to see any road course track time, or is it just a street machine?
Old 12-24-2013, 02:40 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

On your question,...... so I'm doing a full resto-mod and I've gone top end stuff all the way (LS 480, RS500, FR Rack, Van Steel A-Arms & Coilover Suspension, Dakota Digital Gauges, Rear Diff Updated, VA Air Conditioning, C7 Seats), and I'm doing everything my self (or most of it). I've addressed almost all areas of the car except for braking.

In that area, I'm putting in a hydroboost system, with Wilwood MC. So now I'm looking at the brakes. I don't do anything but weekend cruising. I doubt I ever go to the track, but you never know. So as I'm evaluating the Wilwood options, I'm trying to balance the "cool factor" vs wasted money on the brakes. It appears that there is about $ 1k difference in the big brakes vs std D8's when your all said and done. That's a lot of money, but in the big picture of this car if there's a reasonable benefit then I can justify it. So the decision isn't $3200, it's about $ 1k ( the difference between the two).

I want the cool factor of the big breaks, but I'm struggling on the justification.

Last edited by CWerner; 12-24-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

On your question,...... so I'm doing a full resto-mod and I've gone top end stuff all the way (LS 480, RS500, FR Rack, Van Steel A-Arms & Suspension, Dakota Digital Gauges, Rear Diff Updated, VA Air Conditioning), and I'm doing everything my self (or most of it). I've addressed almost all areas of the car except for braking.

In that area, I'm putting in a hydroboost system, with Wilwood MC. So now I'm looking at the brakes. I don't do anything but weekend cruising. I doubt I ever go to the track, but you never know. So as I'm evaluating the Wilwood options, I'm trying to balance the "cool factor" vs wasted money on the brakes. It appears that there is about $ 1k difference in the big brakes vs std D8's when your all said and done. That's a lot of money, but in the big picture of this car if there's a reasonable benefit then I can justify it. So the decision isn't $3200, it's about $ 1k ( the difference between the two).

I want the cool factor of the big breaks, but I'm struggling on the justification.
Well, it's your money so obviously spend it as you like.

I've got Wilwoods all around and they fit under my 15" street wheels (I like the stock look off-track). Along with a $35 C5 aluminum master cylinder I have less than a thousand bucks in my setup. Probably not much cool factor in my setup but it's significantly lighter weight and works great on track days.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:15 PM
gkull
Team Owner

How much is my option # 3 setup? bigger wheels can show off bigger brake rotors. You also need to remove the dust covers when you have it apart.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:27 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

the front big brake kit goes for around $1600. Then you add$600 for reard D8-4's and a couple hundred for rotors and the total is now about $2400.

Someone told me not to mix the big brake kit in front with stock style in the back.... so there's one opinion on this option that says don't do it. I'm sure it's done often, though.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:35 PM
HBZ_81_C3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the big brake set up on my car. It is an awesome set up. I agree with GKULL, get the BP20 pads.
The only change I could recomend is...
If you ever plan on having to drive in rain, do not get drilled rotors. With the big brakes the inner shield behind the rotors is deleted and when wet the rotors collect some water. Then when the brakes are applied the pads tend to suck the water out of the holes and you get a barrier between the pads and rotor for a brief period.
It will scare the s#%t out of you when it happens. Just do not expect to make a panic stop in the wet!
Old 12-24-2013, 04:40 PM
HBZ_81_C3
Racer

the front big brake kit goes for around $1600. Then you add$600 for reard D8-4's and a couple hundred for rotors and the total is now about $2400.

Someone told me not to mix the big brake kit in front with stock style in the back.... so there's one opinion on this option that says don't do it. I'm sure it's done often, though.
There is not an issue with this. Just make sure the master cylinder is sized correctly.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:50 PM
gkull
Team Owner

I use a stock MC and no hydroboost. My system is pretty balanced.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:22 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I think I'm going for the Big Brake package.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:23 PM
HBZ_81_C3
Racer

I went with Wilwood for the master cylinder. Originally I went with a 1 1/8" and have now changed to a 1" to increase line pressure. It was easier to go to 1" on the master cylinder than to change the pedal ratio.
It was just a mater of personal preference for me. I prefer the less pressure needed on the pedal for the feel (response) I get from the pedal.
I l

Last edited by HBZ_81_C3; 12-24-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:32 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by HBZ_81_C3
I went with Wilwood for the master cylinder. Originally I went with a 1 1/8" and have now changed to a 1" to increase line pressure. It was easier to go to 1" on the master cylinder than to change the pedal ratio.
It was just a mater of personal preference for me. I don't mind the little bit of extra pressure needed on the pedal for the feel (response) I get from the pedal.
1" MC will have less effort and more travel than 1 1/8", i.e. the opposite of what you seem to be saying.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:49 PM
HBZ_81_C3
Racer

Originally Posted by zwede
1" MC will have less effort and more travel than 1 1/8", i.e. the opposite of what you seem to be saying.
You are correct sir!
I obviously do not proof read before I post. Trying to multitask this afternoon... Cooking Christmas Eve dinner while cruising the forum. Something I obviously can't do!
Thank you!

I have adjusted my original post.

Last edited by HBZ_81_C3; 12-24-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:09 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Now it makes sense.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:28 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Popular options for restomod big brake kits are:

Wilwoods
C6 Z06 kit
Baer 6Ps

I went with the 6Ps but they were really hard to install and I had to have brackets fabbed to fit properly. A 3000lb restomod probably doesnt need any of the big brake kits to stop properly.

Anything less than a big brake kit will probably hurt resale if that is a concern. Most new performance cars are coming out with 15.5" ceramic brakes. Even these big brake kits will be viewed as obsolete in a couple of years. It is more of a style thing than an actual need, lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Wilwood Brake Caliper & Rotor options

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wilwood Brake Caliper & Rotor options