C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 : power for the memory circuit wire issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Danieljta
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 : power for the memory circuit wire issue

While redoing the interior of my 1980 corvette I came across a yellow wire running from a relay behind the passenger seat and is spliced into the cigarette lighter wire. It has a foil sticker on the wire that reads: power for the memory circuit. And directs to be connected to to the constant power source. The wire was cut(no longer hooked up) when i reconnect the wire the relay clicks.
So my question is; what is this for exactly?
Judging by the tag and the way the wire is poorly ran under the center console I assume this isn't factory?
Old 12-23-2013, 10:15 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Danieljta
While redoing the interior of my 1980 corvette I came across a yellow wire running from a relay behind the passenger seat and is spliced into the cigarette lighter wire. It has a foil sticker on the wire that reads: power for the memory circuit. And directs to be connected to to the constant power source. The wire was cut(no longer hooked up) when i reconnect the wire the relay clicks.
Judging by the tag and the way the wire is poorly ran under the center console I assume this isn't factory?
Welcome to the Forum.

Likely your Courtesy Lamp Timer. See UPC page 12L - sheet 9 (most likely page 542) of your 1980 A.I.M..

The courtesy light delay circuit diagram and narrative description is on pages 8A-34&35 of your 1980 GM Corvette Shop Manual.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You are correct in your "assumption". it is not factory. if it has been cut...I would not worry about it. Remove it and move on. I have never seen a wire spliced into the cigarette lighter wire ( from the factory) that has a foil sticker on it. Somebody probably had a stereo unit mounted in the rear at one time or another.

DUB
Old 12-23-2013, 08:30 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Could have originally been the trigger wire for the power antenna.
Does it share a plug at the relay with an orange and black wire?
Old 12-23-2013, 09:02 PM
Danieljta
6th Gear

I have just recently purchased the car (first corvette) and am still waiting on the a.i.m manuals.

I just confirmed that the yellow wire does run to the passanger side harness(three wires; yellow, orange and black) of the middle of the three relays there. And looks factory in the harness. But the other end of the yellow wire running to the cigarette wire looks like a real hack and slash job.

Any idea how this is suppose to go? Or if it is for surely not needed anymore. Is just like to make sure before I put the interior back together.

Some additional info:
The car came with no stereo or cigarette lighter, and a malfunctioning power antenna (ran constantly with antenna stuck up) I just pulled the antenna out for a rebuild(broke plastic cable)

Thanks everyone for the help!

Last edited by Danieljta; 12-23-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:25 PM
80-Vette
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

My guess would be it is a constant power for an after market stereo.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 80-Vette
My guess would be it is a constant power for an after market stereo.

With a memory function for the presets.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:23 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike

With a memory function for the presets.

Unless you have a California 305 motor, there shouldn't be anything stock in a 1980 with a memory. Also, I don't think that GM ever labeled any wires with its function.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:05 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

The car came with no stereo or cigarette lighter, and a malfunctioning power antenna (ran constantly with antenna stuck up) I just pulled the antenna out for a rebuild(broke plastic cable)

Thanks everyone for the help!
There ya go.
The yellow is the trigger for the power antenna. Connects to the "antenna" lead at the factory or even aftermarket radio. You verified this by noting the orange and black wires with the yellow at the relay plug.
Some clown hooked it to constant hot(lighter) and ended up clipping it to try to stop the constant running antenna.
Why someone hooked the yellow to the lighter is the mystery!

Last edited by KapsSA; 12-24-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Danieljta
6th Gear

That makes perfect sense now.. Thank you!
Someone must have put a aftermarket stereo in that did not support the power antenna and tried to rig it up?

I plan to put the factory radio, and radio wire harness in the car so is it safe to assume there will be a yellow end from the new factory radio harness to connect my mangle yellow power antenna wire to?
Old 12-24-2013, 08:03 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

A correct harness to a factory radio will have a 4 wire plug with TWO yellows.
One supplies power to the radio, the other pretty much is a continuation of that yellow, switched on inside of the radio that supplies power to the antenna.
Make sure you have the correct yellow going to the correct location.
You won't hurt anything connecting them wrong but you will notice some oddities if they're switched. Make sure you got them right before buttoning everything up.

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 : power for the memory circuit wire issue

Quick Reply: 1980 : power for the memory circuit wire issue