C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help asap

Old 12-23-2013, 12:37 PM
ChrisCamp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help asap

driving down the highway and all of the sudden car tells me to service active handling, engine lose of power. I got it pulled off an exit and it is running real rough, telling me to service active handling, engine lose of power still...when I start it she runs real rough. anything I can try out on the road?

2009 M6

Chris camp 918-384-9641
Old 12-23-2013, 12:39 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

do you have anything you can disconnect the battery and reconnect with?
I had this same issue once and doing that reset it for me and I cleared the codes, I needed a new battery.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:58 PM
ChrisCamp
Advanced

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
do you have anything you can disconnect the battery and reconnect with?
I had this same issue once and doing that reset it for me and I cleared the codes, I needed a new battery.
Battery is a month or two old, I restarted it right away and it ran real rough. Then I waited five minutes and restarted it again and it ran fine. I eased her up the road a mile and am now chilling for several hours. Only thing I noticed when I drove it up the road is the engine light is on.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:33 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Check the plug wires every now and then one will come off and not look like it is
Old 12-23-2013, 02:37 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisCamp
Battery is a month or two old, I restarted it right away and it ran real rough. Then I waited five minutes and restarted it again and it ran fine. I eased her up the road a mile and am now chilling for several hours. Only thing I noticed when I drove it up the road is the engine light is on.
if the check engine light is on go to a parts store napa , auto zone etc they can scan it and give you a idea whats up.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Russkier
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine did the exact same thing, a plug wire fell out of the coil. Easy to fix once the engine cools off!
Old 12-23-2013, 04:17 PM
IrishSpuds
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 243 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
Check the plug wires every now and then one will come off and not look like it is
You DEFINATELY have either a loose wire or a coilpack that is gone bad. Had the EXACT same thing happen twice on my 13.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,439 Likes on 778 Posts

That is good information to know just in case it ever happens.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:40 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
And if one is off don't forget to Burp the boot. In other words get all the air out of the spark plug boot. you can do it with a paper clip Believe it or not its what causes plug wires to fall off

Clif
Old 12-23-2013, 08:30 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,332 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by z06clif
And if one is off don't forget to Burp the boot. In other words get all the air out of the spark plug boot. you can do it with a paper clip Believe it or not its what causes plug wires to fall off

Clif
Wow, that's crazy. I can't imagine how that was discovered. Good info to file away for future needs.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:52 PM
ChrisCamp
Advanced

Ok, I have an update. The engine light has gone off and the car is running perfect again. I checked the plugs and all boots are on good. I took the car to O'Reillys today to see what codes came up and they got two.

P2101 (Generic)
Throttle Actuator
Control Motor Circuit
Range/Performance

P1516 (GM)
Command vs Actual
Throttle Position Performance (TAC
Module)

I typed it just as the screen showed, obviously the small screen made it look this way. I am assuming each should be one long code explanation/description right?

What do you all think, drive it and see if it acts up again?

P.S. thank you for all the help and the quick responses when she acted up on me, it is truly a comforting feeling knowing I have a vette family out there!
Old 12-28-2013, 01:43 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

You see, it only needed to be burped. You will be fine.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:14 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Russkier
Mine did the exact same thing, a plug wire fell out of the coil. Easy to fix once the engine cools off!

Exact same thing happened to me a few months ago after a hard braking.
Check wires at the coils - easy to snap off the F/I rail covers.
Check wires at the plugs & burp - less likely, but ya never know.
Good luck.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:07 PM
ChrisCamp
Advanced

Got a slight update and question. Car has been running fine, but this morning it did it again as I left the house for work. Only a block away I turned around and nursed her back home.
Now I have been having trouble getting in it and it starting for a while now, no fob detected message. Being hard headed I have been getting by, have to mess with fob buttons a bit and it'll start or let me in the door. Don't want to use the new one...yea I know.
So as I sit in it in the drive I think to myself, what if it is doing some sort of shut down because it thinks it is being driven with no fob? So I go in and get the fob number two that never gets used and she started right up and ran fine.
Do you all think the fob can be it...will the car act like that when it thinks there isn't a fob?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:26 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,332 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Got a slight update and question. Car has been running fine, but this morning it did it again as I left the house for work. Only a block away I turned around and nursed her back home.
Now I have been having trouble getting in it and it starting for a while now, no fob detected message. Being hard headed I have been getting by, have to mess with fob buttons a bit and it'll start or let me in the door. Don't want to use the new one...yea I know.
So as I sit in it in the drive I think to myself, what if it is doing some sort of shut down because it thinks it is being driven with no fob? So I go in and get the fob number two that never gets used and she started right up and ran fine.
Do you all think the fob can be it...will the car act like that when it thinks there isn't a fob?
Git one a them solar fobs ...or replace the batt in fob #1...might do the trick.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:43 AM
ChrisCamp
Advanced

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Git one a them solar fobs ...or replace the batt in fob #1...might do the trick.
Battery is new...think the fob is just toast. Two things I have noticed that Chevy went cheap on, the fob and the brakes, I did the ceramic pads and all of that and I still get embarrassed pulling up next to a kid in his rice grinder and my 50K plus car has squeaky brakes!

Last edited by ChrisCamp; 01-11-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:30 PM
ChrisCamp
Advanced

Battery is new...think the fob is just toast. Two things I have noticed that Chevy went cheap on, the fob and the brakes, I did the ceramic pads and all of that and I still get embarrassed pulling up next to a kid in his rice grinder and my 50K plus car has squeaky brakes!
Well S&%#$ it isn't the fob idea for sure, it did the same thing to me on the way home from work the other night; I shut it down for five minutes and started her back up, ran fine from there. I am going to recheck all plug wires, can someone please explain in detail how to burp them?

Get notified of new replies

To need help asap

Old 01-15-2014, 05:45 PM
Wideout
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

It will continue to do this until you have it properly diagnosed. From what I've seen, a number of reasons can cause this. Perhaps your O'reilly diagnosis will lead to someone else giving you a good recommendation though.

In my 2007 A6 vert it happened twice over a year's time. The first time, the dealer recommended that I replace the battery and cable harnesses. It did fine for about 9 months and acted up again. They suspected a transmission relay but I didn't feel confident in their diagnosis. I traded it in as I wanted something with lower miles anyway.

Two days after I picked up an 09 M6, my car overheated in very little traffic. Same thing...all lights came on including the one you mentioned and the car went into limp mode. I knew what was happening based on it cooling off as I got up to speed. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the radiator fan and another fan relay. My car has been fine since then.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Jitsu
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Which battery is "a month or two old"? FOB or car battery? Sounds to me like the car battery might be the culprit which can cause weird electrical issues.

I doubt it's the FOB. I've started mine then walked away where it was out of distance and the car doesn't seem to care.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:31 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Even if the FOB battery dies while you are driving, the car doesn't care about it. The car will care when you push the "Off" button. It will THEN scream no FOB and ask if you want to run or shut down. It will not restart until it sees an approved FOB.

Did you check for codes stored again? It would be a good thing to do. If the same ones pop up, then you need to have the TB/TAC looked at.

If you get the no FOB at start up, then I would use this >> No FOB Detected checklist << to figure out the problem.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 01-20-2014 at 10:30 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need help asap