Sponsored by:

3D-Printed Ashtray Panel...

Old 12-23-2013, 01:37 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Received 175 Likes on 77 Posts

Default 3D-Printed Ashtray Panel...

Howdy!

Some of you may have seen my thread about using 3D printing technology to print replacement HUD dimmer *****. (See: 3D-Printed HUD Dimmer ****...)

I'm getting ready to reupholster the driver's seat to replace the worn halo.

As it's gotten colder (relatively speaking --I live in So. Cal) I still enjoy driving with the top down, but the heater in the `Vette doesn't work as well as I would like.

I was talking with a friend at church and he mentioned something about how nice seat heaters were to have on cold winter mornings and I decided to add seat heaters to my seats when replacing the skins.

I contemplated many different places to put the seat heater switches, but in the end I thought the best place would be the ashtray. I thought about buying a replacement ashtray then, removing the door and gluing a plate to the top which had holes for the switches. The $55 price tag for ashtrays disabused me of that notion.

So, I decided that I could print a switch panel that fit into the ashtray recess.

Below are two screen shots of the ashtray switch panel. The first one has the holes punched into the plate for the Rostra seat switches .

The second screen shot is the same switch panel with no holes that could be used for any custom application like nitrous, etc.

I've ordered a seat heater switch plate and it should be here around the 1st of the year.

Dan

The following users liked this post:
Edmund Iverson (02-13-2020)
Old 12-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Driver220
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Subbed. Be interested to see this outcome!
Old 12-23-2013, 01:53 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Nice work, I was looking to mount my switched bellow the stereo. I am replacing the factory radio with a single din that sits in the top of the mount location. It leaves plate on the bottom before the climate controls.

I look forward to seeing how this turns out.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Does this widget replace just the pop-out ashtray insert or also the flip-up door that's part of the center console shell?
Old 12-23-2013, 04:37 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
Does this widget replace just the pop-out ashtray insert or also the flip-up door that's part of the center console shell?
Just the pop-out ashtray. The flip-up door stays with the console.

The idea is that you flip up the door to access whatever switches are installed and close the door when you done.
The following users liked this post:
Edmund Iverson (02-13-2020)
Old 12-23-2013, 04:50 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Great idea and one could leave the ashtray door off if he chooses too. What color do they print out in? Are you considering selling one as I have the same issue where to put seated heat switches. Christmas Greetings, Rob
Old 12-23-2013, 04:59 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Originally Posted by El original
Great idea and one could leave the ashtray door off if he chooses too. What color do they print out in? Are you considering selling one as I have the same issue where to put seated heat switches. Christmas Greetings, Rob
The colors available from the printer are pretty garish. They print in white, then dye them to the colors below. It adds time and cost.

Because of the added time and cost I prefer to order them in white, then finish them to the color using rattle-can paint. That's what I did with the HUD *****.

The resulting surface texture is similar to a sand cast part.

I am making one for myself, but I've seen a lot of instances where guys have to make plates for nitrous, etc., so I thought others might be interested in these, too.

Because I'm not a forum vendor, I can't really sell them myself. So, I'm in the process of contacting other forum vendors to see if they might be interested in adding these to their product line.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:17 PM
chevy406
Tech Contributor

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm not looking to add seat heaters, but I am digging your vocabulary. I just had to google "disabused" because I've never seen that word before. Well done.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:23 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

I could be interested though I'd still want the 12v accessory unit, probably located in the middle, or maybe to the right and tighten up the spacing of the heater *****. Having moved to the PNW from SoCal, I'd love add Seat Heaters sometime...

Dan, wonder if you ever saw my MY Z06, lived in Mission Viejo since '94. (Got the Vette in the Summer of 2011)
Old 12-23-2013, 10:55 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,186 Likes on 13,910 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Subscribed to this too to see how it comes out. I might be interested in something like this should I ever want to add seat heaters to my C5.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:15 AM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chevy406
I'm not looking to add seat heaters, but I am digging your vocabulary. I just had to google "disabused" because I've never seen that word before. Well done.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:43 AM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JETninja
Dan, wonder if you ever saw my MY Z06, lived in Mission Viejo since '94. (Got the Vette in the Summer of 2011)
I may have seen it. What does it look like?
Old 12-24-2013, 11:44 AM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Subscribed to this too to see how it comes out. I might be interested in something like this should I ever want to add seat heaters to my C5.
Thanks.

Keep in mind that this isn't just for seat heater switches. That's just what I'm using mine for. It could be used for any switches or controls.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:46 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

WA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by DanSavage
I may have seen it. What does it look like?

Old 12-24-2013, 04:25 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Nice!

I don't recall seeing yours, but if I had I would have surely remembered it because I love yellow Corvettes.

I was originally going to buy a yellow vert, but I didn't want a black roof and interior. IMO, these are the only colors that go well with the yellow paint.

I had an MG Midget years ago with a black roof and interior and didn't like how hot they got in the summer sun.

So, in the end I decided to get an `03 AE vert, which I'm very happy to have.

Since we're neighbors, we'll have to get together sometime.

Dan
Old 12-24-2013, 08:01 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

WA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by DanSavage
Nice!

I don't recall seeing yours, but if I had I would have surely remembered it because I love yellow Corvettes.

I was originally going to buy a yellow vert, but I didn't want a black roof and interior. IMO, these are the only colors that go well with the yellow paint.

I had an MG Midget years ago with a black roof and interior and didn't like how hot they got in the summer sun.

So, in the end I decided to get an `03 AE vert, which I'm very happy to have.

Since we're neighbors, we'll have to get together sometime.

Dan

You didn't read all of the above or I didn't write it clearly enough, I moved in 2012 to the PNW, new Boeing job (my 28th year) and nice change from SoCal. I do go to Laguna Seca every year for the ALMS Now TUDOR) race at Monterey...Though I fly to that now. I did drive the Vette down for the Historics there this past Summer, Corvette was the featured Marque. Wife's first trip to the track. Pic was on 17m drive in Carmel.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:03 AM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JETninja
You didn't read all of the above or I didn't write it clearly enough, I moved in 2012 to the PNW, new Boeing job (my 28th year) and nice change from SoCal. I do go to Laguna Seca every year for the ALMS Now TUDOR) race at Monterey...Though I fly to that now. I did drive the Vette down for the Historics there this past Summer, Corvette was the featured Marque. Wife's first trip to the track. Pic was on 17m drive in Carmel.
Gotcha!

I misread what you wrote. I thought you came from the PNW to SoCal.

I may have seen your Vette and noticed it because I love that color yellow, but that would have been before I was in the market for one.

In aviation circles, Millennium Yellow is known as Aviation Yellow.

I went to LS for the Historics with my parents back in the late 80s/early 90s when the featured marque was MGs. (they had a `59 MGA)

Get notified of new replies

To 3D-Printed Ashtray Panel...

Old 12-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I think making a blank panel that could be used for switches is a great idea. If I get around to doing a trans cooler I will need a hidden place to mount a switch or two.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:46 AM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Thanks! Me, too.

I think a lot more folks will get use out of a blank panel than one specialized for one application, such as seat heaters.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Nice idea - 3D printing is definitely a great way to go on custom needs like this. Several years ago, I did a 3D model of the ashtray to install a switch for my cutouts and had a buddy with a machine shop machine it in black Delrin for me. Would've been nice to have the 3D printing option back then.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3D-Printed Ashtray Panel...