C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Most affordable Mid-Year?

Old 11-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Default Most affordable Mid-Year?

Good Day. Never posted here before, long term on the C6 and CFOT forums. My first ever Corvette is my current 2006.

I flirted with building a Factory Five Cobra as a hobby, but it occurs to me that nothing will ever have the intrinsic value of a mid-year Corvette. Besides, I can make a decent argument that the mid-year is the most beautifully styled car in American car history.

What I am looking for is a hobby, not a complete disaster rebuild, but am too frugal (cheap) to buy a numbers matching top of the line, e.g. swc.

I am thinking a 64 coupe with the lower hp engine, not much in options, and a powerglide. I do all my own wrenching and have plenty of time on my hands and a 3-car garage, and am looking at a long-term semi-retirement project.

Thoughts and inputs?
Old 11-23-2013, 01:59 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

You pretty much have it there.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:11 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yup. but unless you find one with A/C (not likely), you might think about a roadster instead.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:24 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Welcome! Agree, 64 coupe will typically be the best bang for the buck if you are looking to get into the C2 side of the hobby in a cost-effective way.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:09 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Low HP 64 with a NOM, and possibly painted very nicely but not in its trim tag color.

With all that said, the best "bang for the buck" in terms of real value rather than the cheapest entry point would be a C2 with a 5+ year old, well-done body off restoration - you'll buy something at market value which will be at least $10-20 grand less than it would have cost you to buy the car pre-restoration and have it restored to that condition
Old 11-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

What you've described is pretty much the bottom of the food chain alright, but it's still going to be at the bottom when you're finished dumping dollars and time into it. I don't know what your skill set is, but buying a car with better DNA but has rough paint and interior would be a better prospect. A small block 65 4 speed coupe for example would be a better start.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Carlsbadliving1
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 63 - 67 generation as a whole is pretty much an investment grade purchase from the standpoint of not being a depreciating asset. Might consider selecting your price range and then scouring the ads remaining open to what you might find be it coupe or convertible. The better the condition, the less you will need to tackle in after-purchase expenditures.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,922 Likes on 4,771 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

dont worry about the year just buy the best car for the amount you want to spend up front. while I agree 64 coupes are going to be the best cheapest. that dose not mean you wont find a 65-66 that is in better shape for the same price. also the more you pay for the car up front should mean the less you should have to spend latter on
Old 11-23-2013, 04:15 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The current issue of Corvette Magazine that just came out has an article saying pretty much the same as others here have told you. They say from a performance per dollar aspect, the 1964 coupe is the best Corvette deal out there.

-- Steve
Old 11-23-2013, 04:46 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

As someone else stated, buy what you can afford. This is the beginning and you will have plenty of money to spend on parts regardless of what year you buy. All the parts are high, matter of fact this is my old mans statement " A mid-year will hundred dollar your azz to death "

If it were me I would be looking for a car that has majority of the parts there and can be cleaned up to close to new as possible.

Just be patient and the right car will come along. If you are not familiar with mid year cars, its always a good idea to take someone that does know them and what to look for with you prior to purchase.

Good Luck with your search and in the end it will pay off.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Originally Posted by azmusclecar
I had to allow my money decide for me which car I could buy. Maybe you have deep pockets and can look for the diamond in the "NOT so rough.

It disappointments me when members who own a C2 look down their nose at my 64 coupe. It's a numbers matching low optioned 300 horse car. My car is a survivor.....it sort of resembles ME.........not pretty to look at and can't run as fast as it used to but we both have our integrity intact, and we can build off of that, and we don't just use our checkbook to make us both look like pretty.

I try to appeciate everyone's car and the owner. But I have met some of the greatest looking cars with some of thee ugliest owners.

I hope you find what you are looking for, just don't let some others dismiss a car simply because they could not accept it, not because of the car, but becasue of what the car represents..................they couldn't live with themselves if their car wasn't PERFECT.

Good luck and welcome to the C2 group.............
To 99.9% of adults, there is no difference between any mid-year Corvette, heck to half, they couldn't tell you what it is at all.

FWIW, I can afford all but the top 1% of mid-years but I have different work for my money. While I could go $100K+ cash, that is not what I'm looking for.

What I don't want is one that is more money to fix than it is worth. I want something to wrench on and play with that is cheap. Older cars require more maintenance, so the wrenching is pretty much assured. In other words, not looking for a basket case, just looking for a decent cheap driver that I can keep as a toy, and not freak out about putting miles on it.

I pretty have no use for Corvette snobbery. Some people really need to acquire some real self-esteem.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:35 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I had to allow my money decide for me which car I could buy. Maybe you have deep pockets and can look for the diamond in the "NOT so rough.

It disappointments me when members who own a C2 look down their nose at my 64 coupe. It's a numbers matching low optioned 300 horse car. My car is a survivor.....it sort of resembles ME.........not pretty to look at and can't run as fast as it used to but we both have our integrity intact, and we can build off of that, and we don't just use our checkbook to make us both look like pretty.

I try to appeciate everyone's car and the owner. But I have met some of the greatest looking cars with some of thee ugliest owners.

I hope you find what you are looking for, just don't let some others dismiss a car simply because they could not accept it, not because of the car, but becasue of what the car represents..................they couldn't live with themselves if their car wasn't PERFECT.

Good luck and welcome to the C2 group.............

Don't pay any attention to them or to what they say. There are some people in this world who aren't happy unless they can make someone else feel bad. Your '64 is a fine car. Most people, myself included, would be proud to own it. It's a classic Sting Ray . . . nothing else matters.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:41 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
Don't pay any attention to them or to what they say. There are some people in this world who aren't happy unless they can make someone else feel bad. Your '64 is a fine car. Most people, myself included, would be proud to own it. It's a classic Sting Ray . . . nothing else matters.
azmusclecar. hold your head high on that car. she's a beaut. I couldn't speak about the owner however
Old 11-23-2013, 07:21 PM
John A. Petrarca Jr
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
What you've described is pretty much the bottom of the food chain alright, but it's still going to be at the bottom when you're finished dumping dollars and time into it. I don't know what your skill set is, but buying a car with better DNA but has rough paint and interior would be a better prospect. A small block 65 4 speed coupe for example would be a better start.
You know, it's comments like this that do not do a thing for the hobby or people like myself and others who own and are proud to own 64's.
Sorry, but I had to say it.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:48 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by John A. Petrarca Jr
You know, it's comments like this that do not do a thing for the hobby or people like myself and others who own and are proud to own 64's.
Second that!
Old 11-23-2013, 08:16 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 194 Likes on 126 Posts

Well said, I pulled my comment since I didn't want to interfere with the OPs thread, he did ask for opinions and ideas and I thought that is what I posted but some sensitive people may have misinterpreted what I wrote......
Old 11-23-2013, 08:53 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a solid lifter 64 and a BB 66. They are both great cars. Any mid year is a gem in my opinion!

Get notified of new replies

To Most affordable Mid-Year?

Old 11-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I really didn't mean to step on anyone's toes, but that's just the way it is. Everyone knows that 64's are the best value for the money, and no doubt that would have been the better way to word it.

The simple fact is that it costs the same money to restore a 64 as any other mid-year, so why not spend that money on something with a better potential to avoid being upside down?

I'm here to learn just as much as anyone else. If someone can refute what I said, I'm all ears and ready to learn.

Assuming equal condition, what can be purchased cheaper than what the OP proposed?

Old 11-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Well said, I pulled my comment since I didn't want to interfere with the OPs thread, he did ask for opinions and ideas and I thought that is what I posted but some sensitive people may have misinterpreted what I wrote......
No, your comments, and the others, are in alignment with my vision.

Again, I can afford a museum '63 SWC or a '67 427, and know nothing about it and pay someone else to work on it for me as if I didn't know a combination wrench from a quadrajet, and drive it only on sunny days to a car show to frown at others because I lack self-esteem.

But that's not what I'm looking for, I want a simple toy to wrench on, like back when life was simpler.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,922 Likes on 4,771 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Zoomin
I really didn't mean to step on anyone's toes, but that's just the way it is. Everyone knows that 64's are the best value for the money, and no doubt that would have been the better way to word it.

The simple fact is that it costs the same money to restore a 64 as any other mid-year, so why not spend that money on something with a better potential to avoid being upside down?

I'm here to learn just as much as anyone else. If someone can refute what I said, I'm all ears and ready to learn.

Assuming equal condition, what can be purchased cheaper than what the OP proposed?

truth hurts some people maybe you should make it political correct so you don't up set anyone.

while what you said is true and every auction and sell list over the last 30 years reflect it.

there is nothing wrong a 64. this conversation comes up every couple of months the same things are said. there is no sense beating a dead horse

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Most affordable Mid-Year?