C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

flickering dash lights and no start

Old 11-02-2013, 10:43 AM
jnorth
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flickering dash lights and no start

I just purchased a 1990 that would not start and the digital cluster and the climate control lights are flickering. These are the only lights flickering. All other lights are operating fine.
When i turn the key to start, all lights shut down as they should, but not even a click from the starter.
So obviously i'm thinking VATS. I can jump the start and it works and i can get the engine to fire but it only fires and sputters and dies within 3 seconds. is any of this jumping out to anyone?
Old 11-02-2013, 11:25 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Have you tried putting the charging the battery, by the sound of it you might not have enough power in the battery to run the car, and if the alternator can't produce enough power to run the car it will die.

If it will run while the jumper cables are hooked to another car the battery power might be your problem.

Also check to see if your ground wire on the battery is making good contact, and that the main wires on the starter are tight.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:26 PM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jnorth
I just purchased a 1990 that would not start and the digital cluster and the climate control lights are flickering. These are the only lights flickering. All other lights are operating fine.
When i turn the key to start, all lights shut down as they should, but not even a click from the starter.
So obviously i'm thinking VATS. I can jump the start and it works and i can get the engine to fire but it only fires and sputters and dies within 3 seconds. is any of this jumping out to anyone?
It is also possible your neutral safety switch is the culprit. Do a search and you'll find a number of threads on that problem

Good luck! John
Old 11-02-2013, 09:44 PM
jnorth
Intermediate

I had a charger/booster hooked up to it because ya, the battery was dead. With the charger on it still flickered and would not turn over with the key. I bought a new batt and will put it in ASAP. I know that voltage has to be correct for these cars to operate properly so I'll start there and find and clean grounds. Here's hoping.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:19 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Check your battery cables for a good connection. BOTH ends.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:24 PM
jnorth
Intermediate

Ok, so i changed the battery and that fixed the flickering lights on the dash. But still wouldnt turn over with the key. so i located the starter enable really and while testing conections with a test light, I found that if i grounded the little black wire with yellow strip on it the key worked normally to turn the engine over. but still no start. So first off, I must have a bad ground there, and second must have clogged fuel filter??? the engine will run if i am fogging intake with starting fluid. but it wont run on its own. Anyone know where that starter enable relay gets its ground?
Old 11-05-2013, 01:31 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

All sorts of good parts get broke when the battery goes down.
Consider buying an FSM to start your troubleshooting journey...

Get notified of new replies

To flickering dash lights and no start

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: flickering dash lights and no start