C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Era Performance dyno testing C7 today and tommorrow

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Mike@NewEra
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Era Performance dyno testing C7 today and tommorrow

With all the testing going on with the new C7, we finally got a couple hundred miles on ours, and decided to do some testing on some of the simpler stuff.

The C7 we have is a base model, no dual mode exhaust. The first thing we are testing is a high flow aluminum intake tube, since we don't think you can make it function any better as a true cold air intake, the only flaw is in the elbow from the throttle body to the MAF housing. I have been seeing others mentioning the thermal inefficiencies with an aluminum tube, well, we will find out. We plan on doing testing with the hood open, and then the hood closed with the stock plastic elbow, and then the same with the higher flowing aluminum elbow to see if/what the gains will be, we are going to try to heat soak it. if it works, then it works, if it doesn't, then it doesn't...Then we will get into tuning, and also porting the stock throttle body, etc.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:57 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

subscribed... good luck!
Old 10-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Mike@NewEra
Instructor

Just finished testing the 4 1/2 inch aluminum intake elbow, it gained nothing over the stock intake.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Mike@NewEra
Instructor

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Mike@NewEra
Instructor

New Era Performance C7 dyno tune results. Stock vs. Stock with a tune. We ported the stock throttle body and it gained 1 more rwhp and 1 more rwtq, which is more less nothing on a stock car, so don't expect to really gain anything porting the stock throttle body at this point based on our experience.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:06 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Thanks for sharing data! Some interesting results. Any difference in noise, like odd induction noises with the tube over OEM box?
Old 10-30-2013, 06:41 AM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 598 Likes on 453 Posts

We appreciate your honesty in this matter.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 582 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

So Mike, the best bump was the tuning? How much over your stock pulls?

What were the IATs on the aluminum tube pulls? I would think Aluminum and the open filter to the radiator fan would add around +50 degrees to ambient with the hood closed.

Without our heat shield in place, we see 100F+ sitting for a minute, on a 48F day. Without cold air, the fan on pushes 66% of the radiator exit heat right into the engine bay.

As you know, at 86F timing starts to go South with up to -6 to -8 degrees from the engine bay radiator heat. Since full timing is only 16 degrees on the LT1, you end up with 8 to 10 degrees lead. That would effectively destroy any gain from airflow.

Thanks for the honest report.

We will have our intake ready in a couple of weeks and get one out to you for testing.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 10-31-2013, 03:13 PM
Mike@NewEra
Instructor

This is what we tested (left unfinished for testing only).

We left the MAF housing and air filter box stock since we thought the stock design of "Cold Air" was already pretty good. We noticed that the MAF housing OD was 4.5 inches, and that after the housing it necked down in the stock elbow, so the idea was that creating a 4.5 diameter throughout, and a smoother bend without any baffling might free up some power, and if there was a temperature issue to figure out a way to address that after. It didn't do anything, and the IAT's didn't change much either, yes the aluminum tube definitely got hot, much hotter than the stock piece did, but the air travelling through it at a high speed didn't really give it time for the air to warm up much (if anything 2-3 degrees).

Also, in regards to the IAT timing MAP, there is a multiplier for the MAP Jim posted here, it will only remove 20-40% of the value in the IAT timing map up to 5600 rpms. Also, there is IAT1 and IAT2 in this car, and I am assuming it uses the IAT2 sensor for this MAP just like the LS9 and LSA engines do.

I am very much so looking forward to testing what you have coming out Jim. I think that if we (New Era Performance) were to move forward on making something worthwhile as far as a CAI goes for this vehicle, we would have to get into something injection molded, and I am not prepared for that. I am also curious to see if your CAI has any issue with the torque management utilized in the stock calibration, if more than 363.8 Kilowatts of power is calculated/reported, it will begin closing the ETC (Electronic Throttle Controller) to maintain 363.8 Kilowatts. This can be addressed of course with a tune.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:37 PM
Mike@NewEra
Instructor

We aren't moving forward on this, if you read the posts you will see it didn't work.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:55 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 582 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Mike@NewEra
This is what we tested (left unfinished for testing only).

We left the MAF housing and air filter box stock since we thought the stock design of "Cold Air" was already pretty good. We noticed that the MAF housing OD was 4.5 inches, and that after the housing it necked down in the stock elbow, so the idea was that creating a 4.5 diameter throughout, and a smoother bend without any baffling might free up some power, and if there was a temperature issue to figure out a way to address that after. It didn't do anything, and the IAT's didn't change much either, yes the aluminum tube definitely got hot, much hotter than the stock piece did, but the air travelling through it at a high speed didn't really give it time for the air to warm up much (if anything 2-3 degrees).

Also, in regards to the IAT timing MAP, there is a multiplier for the MAP Jim posted here, it will only remove 20-40% of the value in the IAT timing map up to 5600 rpms. Also, there is IAT1 and IAT2 in this car, and I am assuming it uses the IAT2 sensor for this MAP just like the LS9 and LSA engines do.

I am very much so looking forward to testing what you have coming out Jim. I think that if we (New Era Performance) were to move forward on making something worthwhile as far as a CAI goes for this vehicle, we would have to get into something injection molded, and I am not prepared for that. I am also curious to see if your CAI has any issue with the torque management utilized in the stock calibration, if more than 363.8 Kilowatts of power is calculated/reported, it will begin closing the ETC (Electronic Throttle Controller) to maintain 363.8 Kilowatts. This can be addressed of course with a tune.
Your dilemma and frankly refreshing honesty, is why our intake was dynoed first on an engine dyno, to eliminate as many issues with heat, air density, humidity, water temps, oil temps, etc. Without first controlling those variables, A-B single mod benefits are pretty much up to the chassis dyno operator, their scientific method or lax in that area. It is obvious that you are not among the folks that do not use a more scientific approach to dyno results. Baselines have ranged from 390s to 420s. How can A-B testing show accurate results when the baselines are speculative.

We rely on Katech's engine dyno testing so that when our competition gets our intake their reports will hold no weight. Katech does not "rig" their dyno to produce results they are hoping for. They actually use all of the exhaust components, backpressure simulators from the last cat back, the stock ECM and program. Their 464 SAE dyno numbers are within 1% of the GM Certified numbers, and that was our baseline A.

Jason was in fact, disappointed with 13 HP 8 lbs-ft. Our second edition intake did 2 more lb-ft for 13/10. Those numbers are with stock program parameters.

I know for a fact that their tuner does not play with torque management to get better numbers. Not with our intake for sure. In order to run the stock profile, the reporting had to be the same A-run air fuel ratio, air temps, water temps, humidity, oil temps. You can never get that accurate on the chassis dyno, never.

We actually have a better filter now for the stock location, better flow dynamics through on intake and the MAF translation perfect. We discarded 100% of the stock air intake system and started from scratch. Our challenge is the heat shield. Once that is finished, we are ready.

The carbon fiber version will likely not be released before the roto-molded version, since the cost to build one carbon intake will probably
cost more than we could charge retail. Katech will probably have those available before we sell them retail for their packages, since they have done the R&D for Halltech.

We will be driving to Michigan for dyno testing in about 2 weeks (weather permitting) for chassis dyno testing, just to re-validate the engine dyno numbers, with our production Stinger Carbon Fiber intake/heat shield combo.

One last thing. I have known you for many years, and you still purchase intakes from us, even though you design your own intakes. New Era Performance and Mike are stand up folks, and I have never worried about our designs being knocked off. That takes a special guy these days.

Last edited by Halltech; 10-31-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Pro Stock John
Pro

Interesting info Mike.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:56 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys rock! Not a bad tune if i may say. Keep up the good work, and please continue to be transparent with us. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

I think it's great that you say the intake didn't work and the tb was pretty much nada. You could of fudged the numbers and sell then to make a few bucks but you didn't. This is why I don't ever here bad things about you. Honestly that's how you run a business and people do notice and talk.. You know you could still sell them if people want that aluminum for bling wise and say make no hp. People would still buy it I'm sure just for looks alone. Good luck with the upgrades!!!

Get notified of new replies

To New Era Performance dyno testing C7 today and tommorrow

Quick Reply: New Era Performance dyno testing C7 today and tommorrow