C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint runs on doors...the rest of the story (from pickup to re-delivery)

Old 10-28-2013, 09:54 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default Paint runs on doors...the rest of the story (from pickup to re-delivery)

VIN 1786...original paint thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...the-doors.html

At 2:30 p.m. today, I received a phone call from from my local service manager telling me the car hauler had arrived to pick up my Corvette for it's trip back to Bowling Green. I left work and headed home to pick her up and take her to the dealership.

When I arrived, the service manager met me immediately and began marking the places on the car that need attention (using a pink highlighter). As a point of information, several additional paint and fitment issues have been discovered since I first posted photos of the paint runs on the doors, and all of these were marked today. Both the service manager and I took photos of all of the places that were marked.

From here, I drove my new Corvette out of the service bay and to the back lot where the car hauler awaited my arrival. I got out of the car and the truck driver very carefully and meticulously drove my Corvette up the ramps and onto the trailer. He even got out of the car once he had it on the ramps to check the front air dam clearance since the cars aren't initially shipped with the front air dams attached. I was impressed with the care he showed as he drove the car onto the trailer and then secured the straps over each wheel.

The driver had most recently delivered a load of Corvettes to the East Coast and was dispatched to pick mine up on the way back to Bowling Green for his next load of Corvettes. Mine will be the only car on his trailer all the way back to the factory. The driver told me that he plans to arrive in Bowling Green as early as Tuesday evening, or Wednesday at the latest.

My service manager told me that he expects my Corvette to be returned to me in approximately three weeks. I really wish it didn't have to be gone at all, but I couldn't ask for a better service experience so far at every point, from my local dealership to my interaction with Chevrolet Customer Care and all the way up to the Corvette plant management team.

By the way, upper levels of management have described the paint issues I have as the worse they have seen. While there are a few threads on this forum regarding various paint issues, there are far more posts about cars with virtually perfect fit and finish. Personally, after all I have have learned through this process, I would not hesitate to order another 2014 Corvette. If I had the money right now, I would honestly place an order for a convertible! :drool:

As I have information from the plant, I will update this thread. Management in Bowling Green plans to do some things to compensate me for the inconvenience of not having my Corvette for several weeks while it is being repaired and to make up for the fact that I had issues to begin with. I do not yet know everything that they will do, but I expect that it will be every bit as generous as their treatment of me has been thus far.

And now, I eagerly await the return of my Corvette!

A few photos and a video from today...

Last edited by jagamajajaran; 10-29-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:25 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Wonder if the temp tag will stay on all the way to B G ?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:29 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Wonder if the temp tag will stay on all the way to B G ?
Well, it stayed on all the way from Virginia to Oklahoma when I picked it up and drove it back.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:31 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I think I would have just had them build me a new car.

Maybe you'll get a free CF roof!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:32 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So where are these paint repairs being made exactly? And by whom? I mean, they can't run these through the line again so they have a 'repair shop'?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:38 PM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best of luck to you!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:40 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
I think I would have just had them build me a new car.

Maybe you'll get a free CF roof!
So far, the only non-negotiable that I have asked for on my part is that they not repaint any part of the car. This may actually require an entire re-skinning, so to speak, and I will be happy with this as long as the car returns in as good or better condition as one would expect when taking delivery of a brand new vehicle. In the end, they may decide to simply deliver a new car, but if they can correct the problems with mine, I will be quite pleased.

Originally Posted by BlueOx
So where are these paint repairs being made exactly? And by whom? I mean, they can't run these through the line again so they have a 'repair shop'?
I'm not actually sure about their processes. I do know that the car is going back to the plant at Bowling Green. If they strip the exterior of the car, I would think they would be able to run it through the body assembly line again, but then again, I do not know much about the manufacturing process. I do know that some of Bowling Green's top brass is involved in the process of my repairs and I would bet money that when my Corvette leaves the plant it will have been meticulously scrutinized.

Originally Posted by rexracerx9
Best of luck to you!
Thanks!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:45 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Wow, that sounds like a pretty darned great response by G.M. IMO. While it's unfortunate that your car experienced the problems, it's good to see that G.M. stepped up in the manner they did. I think you can be assured that your car will be perfect when you get it back. Nice job by all.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:45 PM
MHFontaine
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 155 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Just curious, what was your VIN?

Good luck !
Old 10-28-2013, 10:46 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Ridiculous that BG paint inspection let it sail and that it is being sent back. They should build you a new car & deliver it to your driveway. I'd be livid!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:52 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
So far, the only non-negotiable that I have asked for on my part is that they not repaint any part of the car. This may actually require an entire re-skinning, so to speak, and I will be happy with this as long as the car returns in as good or better condition as one would expect when taking delivery of a brand new vehicle. In the end, they may decide to simply deliver a new car, but if they can correct the problems with mine, I will be quite pleased.
I don't see what's wrong with a repaint. I can't imagine GM setting a precedence like a new car. Re-skin maybe.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:53 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by gmwindsor
Ridiculous that BG paint inspection let it sail and that it is being sent back. They should build you a new car & deliver it to your driveway. I'd be livid!
Why would you be livid? They're going to make his car perfect and get it back to him in a fraction of the time it would take to build and deliver a replacement. they could have just as easily let the dealer fix the problems under warranty but instead they chose to handle everything at the plant which will almost certainly result in a better outcome. I'd say that G.M. is doing the right thing here.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:55 PM
MHFontaine
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 155 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by MHFontaine
Just curious, what was your VIN? Good luck !
Never mind...I see it now.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:02 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by gmwindsor
Should have just replaced the car! What the about the 3 weeks down which likely will be more! A little CASH back?
Old 10-28-2013, 11:03 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

After work today I was going to cancel my C7 order and wait it out or decide to purchase another European car. Its been a long time since I owned a GM product. The GM response to your problem made me decide to allow my order to be placed this coming Tuesday. Way to step it up GM and take responsibility for your mistake

Last edited by fasttoys; 10-28-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:05 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I don't see what's wrong with a repaint. I can't imagine GM setting a precedence like a new car. Re-skin maybe.
Won't they just replace the affected parts hood, fender with a nre yellow part or whatever?
Don't see them spraying any part on the car!
Old 10-28-2013, 11:05 PM
#1c6
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Why would you be livid? They're going to make his car perfect and get it back to him in a fraction of the time it would take to build and deliver a replacement. they could have just as easily let the dealer fix the problems under warranty but instead they chose to handle everything at the plant which will almost certainly result in a better outcome. I'd say that G.M. is doing the right thing here.
if bowling green was doing the right thing the car would had never left the plant!!

Get notified of new replies

To Paint runs on doors...the rest of the story (from pickup to re-delivery)

Old 10-28-2013, 11:09 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

That is an incredible story, way to go GM.
Good luck to the OP, hope you get your car back soon.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:11 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Wow, that sounds like a pretty darned great response by G.M. IMO. While it's unfortunate that your car experienced the problems, it's good to see that G.M. stepped up in the manner they did. I think you can be assured that your car will be perfect when you get it back. Nice job by all.
I think their response has been tremendous!

My main concern with a repaint would be the potential evidence of a repaint, which would be a red flag to a potential buyer whenever I decide to sell it, or even the possibility of losing a potential buyer because of it. Another concern is the longevity of the paint if the car is resprayed. Will it hold up as long as an original painted car would? I do not know, but it is a concern, which would seem to be hard to test at this point. I don't expect GM to send me a new car, but I do think it's not out of the realm of possibilities. My local service manager thought they might do that initially and thinks they still may do that. A gentleman had an issue with the paint on his 2011 Corvette and instead of repainting the car, they actually replaced the exterior of the car. This would be the most satisfactory solution in my opinion.

But I can understand someone being upset about a situation like this. I just choose not to be livid...I don't need the stress in my life.

Originally Posted by MHFontaine
Never mind...I see it now.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:20 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Should have just replaced the car! What the about the 3 weeks down which likely will be more! A little CASH back?
There is consideration being given to this.

Originally Posted by fasttoys
After work today I was going to cancel my C7 order and wait it out or decide to purchase another European car. Its been a long time since I owned a GM product. The GM response to your problem made me decide to allow my order to be placed this coming Tuesday. Way to step it up GM and take responsibility for your mistake
I support your decision 100%...GM will stand behind your purchase!

Originally Posted by #1c6
if bowling green was doing the right thing the car would had never left the plant!!
In a perfect world, yes, this would be true. But since we do not live in a perfect world, as long as they are doing what is necessary to prohibit these kinds of issues from taking place in the future, and are making things right for those having issues, my opinion is that they are indeed doing the right thing.

Originally Posted by proexpert
That is an incredible story, way to go GM.
Good luck to the OP, hope you get your car back soon.
Thanks! Me too!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint runs on doors...the rest of the story (from pickup to re-delivery)