C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is MyLink compatible with newer phones?

Old 10-16-2013, 04:28 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Is MyLink compatible with newer phones?

OK, so I've made lots of cracks about Apple products, but honestly, maybe I was wrong and GM flat out doesn't care about anything but 30% of the market.

I have one of the best phones on the market (The HTC One) and it seems that it's somewhat incompatible with MyLink, even though it's a Bluetooth 4.0 device and seems compatible with everything else in the world.

While I'm able to stream music and make calls, I cannot sync my contacts. Doesn't matter what I do, MyLink doesn't recognize my phone's contacts at all. I looked through the OnStar app as well, and there's no way to do it from there either.

Please tell me there's a software update or something for my new $70K+ car that will allow me the simple function of knowing who's calling me or being able to call someone hands free.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 AM
pittperson
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got a galaxy note 2 and mylink sucked in my contacts without a problem.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:51 AM
Nate GM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get an iPhone!! Problem solved
Old 10-16-2013, 08:55 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate W
Are you saying this feature will work properly with an Iphone ?
Old 10-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Nate GM
Racer

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Are you saying this feature will work properly with an Iphone ?
I can't be 100% sure since I don't have a C7 yet but yes, it most likely works with the iPhone. The iPhone is the most popular/common phone on the market and is always the first phone to be programmed to work with this type of technology.

Just my guess
Old 10-16-2013, 09:38 AM
BIg Wash AZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hmm?

I can't be 100% sure since I don't have a C7 yet but yes, it most likely works with the iPhone. The iPhone is the most popular/common phone on the market and is always the first phone to be programmed to work with this type of technology.

Just my guess
So we need to figure out what 'most popular' means? Does it mean people will stand in line to buy it? Then yes it is. Does it mean it gets tons of press? Then yes it is. Does it mean the iPhone is the number one seller? Then no it isn't. Samsung sells more phones. Not only more, way more. Add other Android phones and the iPhone number is a mini me.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:39 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,969 Likes on 1,030 Posts

The HTC One has some serious Bluetooth issues. A friend with an M3 returned his HTC One because it wouldn't work with his car. It doesn't seem to work well with the GM cars with Mylink/Intellilink. My wife has one so I searched and read that it also doesn't seem to with some Volkswagens, Acuras and a few other cars. Of course, HTC blames the car manufacturers, but when one phone doesn't work across multiple car manufacturers, and those same cars work with lots of other phones, HTC should be looking in the mirror. The HTC One does work with some cars though.

PS. I should add that for the contact syncing issues, some people have had success deleting all paired phones from the car, all paired bluetooth devices from the HTC One, and syncing as the first pairing for each. Not sure if that will help in this case.

Last edited by z28lt1; 10-16-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:52 AM
time2run
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

My HTC One would not work in two of my vehicles. The IPhone works in all of them including the C7 with no issues.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:53 AM
OddJob1971
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St Jude Donor '14

My Galaxy S4 sync'd right up and download all my contacts. So it's not an Android issue. My guess is the HTC phone itself.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Nate GM
Racer

Originally Posted by BIg Wash AZ
So we need to figure out what 'most popular' means? Does it mean people will stand in line to buy it? Then yes it is. Does it mean it gets tons of press? Then yes it is. Does it mean the iPhone is the number one seller? Then no it isn't. Samsung sells more phones. Not only more, way more. Add other Android phones and the iPhone number is a mini me.
Unfortunately you're data is little bit off The iPhone is one of the best selling phones of all time and like I said, probably the most popular phone. Currently it is the #1 best selling phone in all 4 major carriers http://bgr.com/2013/10/04/apple-iphone-5s-sales/

Originally Posted by time2run
My HTC One would not work in two of my vehicles. The IPhone works in all of them including the C7 with no issues.

Thank you for confirming this! I'm not surprised
Old 10-16-2013, 10:26 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Unfortunately you're data is little bit off The iPhone is one of the best selling phones of all time and like I said, probably the most popular phone. Currently it is the #1 best selling phone in all 4 major carriers http://bgr.com/2013/10/04/apple-iphone-5s-sales/
Drinking the Apple Kool-Aid much? Apple is loosing market share and will continue to if they don't change their ways and give consumers what they want.

I was a avid iPhone user for about 6 years that was until the released the iPhone 5 with a taller screen, WTF? I want a larger screen damn it! Switched to the Galaxy S4 and to be honest I'd rather have a iPhone because of the virtually seamless integration into most things as well as things just work as they should. Bring me a iPhone 6 with a larger screen and I'll order one.

Back on topic now

My Galaxy S4 synced up right away.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:36 AM
RickMN
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Anybody use a Nokia Windows Phone with their Mylink?

(I work for Microsoft, but we love feedback, so don't be afraid to say what you really think about our products and market share).
Old 10-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Nate GM
Racer

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Drinking the Apple Kool-Aid much? Apple is loosing market share and will continue to if they don't change their ways and give consumers what they want.

I was a avid iPhone user for about 6 years that was until the released the iPhone 5 with a taller screen, WTF? I want a larger screen damn it! Switched to the Galaxy S4 and to be honest I'd rather have a iPhone because of the virtually seamless integration into most things as well as things just work as they should. Bring me a iPhone 6 with a larger screen and I'll order one.
Not at all actually. As an IT major and educated consumer, I understand that there are other perfectly good smartphones on the market. It's just my opinion that the iPhone is the best and smartest phone to buy. I'm not going to get into that much detail on a car forum but camera quality, screen resolution, features, ease of use, and great integration into almost everything are all reasons to choose the iPhone. Especially the last 2 if you ask me.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

My Motorola Droid works fine.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:57 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Guys, I didn't want this to be an Apple vs. World discussion. There's enough of those on this forum. LOL

Not an option. I don't like Apple products. /story

Just my guess
iPhone is the most popular phone by brand. But not the most popular phone by version. And it's also not the most popular phone by OS (which is honestly the most important point in this thread).

Android is the most popular mobile phone OS by leaps and bounds and should be the primary target for MyLink.

Originally Posted by z28lt1
The HTC One has some serious Bluetooth issues. A friend with an M3 returned his HTC One because it wouldn't work with his car. It doesn't seem to work well with the GM cars with Mylink/Intellilink. My wife has one so I searched and read that it also doesn't seem to with some Volkswagens, Acuras and a few other cars. Of course, HTC blames the car manufacturers, but when one phone doesn't work across multiple car manufacturers, and those same cars work with lots of other phones, HTC should be looking in the mirror. The HTC One does work with some cars though.

PS. I should add that for the contact syncing issues, some people have had success deleting all paired phones from the car, all paired bluetooth devices from the HTC One, and syncing as the first pairing for each. Not sure if that will help in this case.
Yeah, I've suspected HTC is to blame for this. I have a few non-HTC phones I'll put my SIM in and try just for the hell of it. But before I do, I'll try your suggestion.

Originally Posted by time2run
One day, T-mobile will release that massive update HTC put out for the One and hopefully will fix these kinds of issues. But again, the iPhone is not an option for me.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Bingo!

Love the iPhone. It "just works". Even in the C7!
Old 10-16-2013, 12:57 PM
r1owner
Racer

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
One day, T-mobile will release that massive update HTC put out for the One and hopefully will fix these kinds of issues. But again, the iPhone is not an option for me.
I got the 4.3 update for my HTC One (AT&T), seems to have increased the phones propensity to drop my wi-fi connection by quite a bit...

Get notified of new replies

To Is MyLink compatible with newer phones?

Old 10-16-2013, 02:15 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

FIGURED IT OUT! Got my contacts to sync.

OK, it's dumb, but it worked. To get the initial sync to work, you need to turn off your WiFi and mobile data. Then pair the phone and *BAM!* The prompt comes up asking to sync the contacts. Double checked and all 815 contacts were in the MyLink screen.

Turned my mobile and WiFi back on and it was all working correctly. iPhone purchase averted!
Old 10-16-2013, 02:19 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It doesn't specifically say Corvette yet but...
"Chevrolet Offers iPhone Users Siri Eyes Free Integration"
http://www.gm.com/content/gmcom/home...4-siri.gm.html
Old 10-16-2013, 02:20 PM
r1owner
Racer

Cool. Glad you got it working. What's the advantage to having all the contacts in Mylink versus just using voice commands to the phone via bluetooth?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is MyLink compatible with newer phones?