Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

From the beginning... to now. The story of my 95

Old 10-09-2013, 02:36 AM
17inac4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default From the beginning... to now. The story of my 95

Most do not know me, I am not aiming to gain popularity by any means as I write this thread; just sharing my love affair.

I usually keep to myself here on the forum, admiring the work of fellow enthusiast and the beautiful cars they own. Reading the tips and tricks they have pointed out down the long road of building, restoring, and refurbishing their Corvettes to a personal piece of art...

As a young boy I found myself attracted to the lines of the C4 Corvette, and had never thought I would ever be so lucky to own my car at the age of 17 last spring.

This is my story, enjoy..

It all began with a simple craigslist ad for a 1995 Chevrolet Corvette, Torch red with tan interior. Looking through multiple ads on craigslist I kept going back to this one ad, looking the car over more and more; falling in love with the car the more I studied the pictures.

Well worn at 120,xxx miles, most would say it would be a car that should be passed on but something about it called to me and I knew I had to have it, I watched the ad for a few weeks as it fell lower and lower in price it made me more eager to call the seller.

the price came down to what I thought was acceptable, I instantly called the seller and the next day I went to go see it... I still remember it being backed in the driveway of the sellers house, once my eyes made contact with it I knew I had to have it.

it was love at first sight.

Like I had said, the car called to me. I had a grin from ear to ear when I fell behind the wheel of the car and put it into gear. I will never forget that moment.

20 minutes after that drive I was back in it, headed home. It was such a rush having such a powerful car but I knew it demanded respect as they aren't exactly known for staying planted

I probably spent the first couple hours just taking pictures of it in my driveway, I don't think it hit me at the time that I bought my dream car.

I drove it everywhere! School, work, you name it, I was always eager and jumped at any chance to drive my car.... I believe its what you all call "the addiction".

After getting the hang of it and knowing the power it possessed, like any teen age boy we get bored with our toys... I wanted it louder, meaner..... So that's exactly what I did.

I began my tear down in my third car garage in August of 2012, new to the C4 itself but not to cars (thanks dad!) I tore into my car....

Taking my time labeling everything as I went, scrubbing and cleaning each piece under the hood of that car until I was more filthy then the car itself.

this thing was FILTHY....

I pulled the motor, and got very ambitious with how I wanted to build it... around Indianapolis you always see build LSx cars running the streets.... I figured nobody would expect anything out of an old LT1 C4 right?

I decided a LT-based 396 would look nice at home in the engine bay of the C4... now I know most of you will say why not go C5 or LSX, my reasoning is simple.... The C4 community is very small compared to the newer cars, they are more unique and in my personal opinion one/if not the best looking corvettes produced.

I unfortunately for some reason don't have any pictures of the motor apart, i'm not sure what memory card they are on.

I will share pictures that are before and after for you all to enjoy, when I said it was filthy I seriously was not kidding....

I also decided that the saw blades were not doing it for me so I swapped them out for a set of the Zr-1 replica's from a vendor here on the forums.

I figured a big motor needed some big meat so I went with a set of Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials, man do these things hook.

and for the first time since August of 2012 the car was back on earth!!

I am such a sucker for big hips and a wide ***

I would like to thank my parents for allowing me to use their garage for my addiction and to all of you that have fueled my dream, something I know I couldn't have done with out this forum.... to all the people who take the time in their life, to explain and describe things about these cars... I want you all to know even though people might not comment on the thread you write.. they are well looked over and taken into thought, this car would not be what it is today if it weren't for people like you.

I hope to keep this passion alive until the day I leave this earth.. there is nothing like owning a Corvette and I am blessed to say I do!

Thanks again to all of you on the Corvette Forum!!

Last edited by 17inac4; 10-09-2013 at 02:45 AM. Reason: picture issue
Old 10-09-2013, 05:48 AM
nicpete
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

looks great,nice job !!!!!!!!!!! enjoy
Old 10-09-2013, 06:21 AM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Thanks for sharing a great story neighbor, and for making me smile while I took a trip back (wayyy back ) into my own past while reading...For me the addiction and the journey began back in 1977 with a 1967 Camaro, and continues to this very day!

I hope to see you on the road---I live just south of Geist and am Fishers frequently. You'll know me when you pass me...I always wave!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:22 AM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

You have done a great job on the car AND the story. Your writing is excellent and your spelling is, too. That says a lot about you. I see a good future for you. Enjoy your car.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:21 AM
Docderek05
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bee u tee ful..very nice job. when can I bring my LT over for you to do the same to mine?!
Nice wide stance...this is not a criticism, just a question, I had the 11 inch wide a-molds on my rear for a while, but found that I was taking a beating to the paint on my lower quarter panels, are you thinking of wheel flairs or mud flaps to prevent those wide tires from eating up your paint? I used the static applied plastic "clear-tastic" on mine after I noticed the chipping but wind got under one side and I lost one..so instead of that, I went to molded mud flaps on my rear wheel wheels only.
Best, Derek.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:26 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 525 Likes on 475 Posts

Default Story

Great looking car along with the story. You're very fortunate to be able to get such a car at your age. Take care of it and enjoy.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:41 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Congrats to you on all of your hard work. These cars are getting up there in age and it takes some dedication to keep them going, you surely have that! You seem to have a great head on your shoulders and aren't afraid of a little hard work, two things that will get you far in life. Thanks for sharing your story and also your pics, oh and don't forget to wave.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

VERY NICE!!!!

It is great that you tackled the motor and probably leaned more by doing this than half the members here on the Forum. Your connection to the car is even greater now that is is part of you.

Respect the power and be safe. If you want to explore the power, try something like autocross or the drag strip. Autocross is easier on the car than the strip and you learn to drive better and understand what the car is capable of doing.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

to 17inaC4,

Your car looks great inside and out. Congratulations

The reason it is called an addition, there is no light at the end of the tunnel when it come to good maintenance, upgrades, and what if's.

Welcome to the therapy , hide your wallet , buy more memory cards .

Boxcar
Old 10-09-2013, 10:19 AM
89L98TPI
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks amazing.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:39 AM
ricasso
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful looking car! well done.. you've set yourself a high standard for the next one but I'm guessing this one will be around for a long time! All the best..
Old 10-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,206 Likes on 13,923 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Congrats on making your dream come true and sounds like some very good mods you've done. Enjoy that '95.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:09 AM
17inac4
Instructor

Originally Posted by nicpete
looks great,nice job !!!!!!!!!!! enjoy
Thank you! I am a sucker for the 40th anniversary cars, beautiful car you have there.

Originally Posted by White87
Thanks for sharing a great story neighbor, and for making me smile while I took a trip back (wayyy back ) into my own past while reading...For me the addiction and the journey began back in 1977 with a 1967 Camaro, and continues to this very day!

I hope to see you on the road---I live just south of Geist and am Fishers frequently. You'll know me when you pass me...I always wave!
I'm sure I will see you before snow fall! maybe we can possibly meet up and get a solid cruise in while the weather is still here? let me know.. i try and wave to every vette I see!

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
You have done a great job on the car AND the story. Your writing is excellent and your spelling is, too. That says a lot about you. I see a good future for you. Enjoy your car.
I appreciate the kind words, I am trying my best to succeed and make something of myself..

Originally Posted by Docderek05
Bee u tee ful..very nice job. when can I bring my LT over for you to do the same to mine?!
Nice wide stance...this is not a criticism, just a question, I had the 11 inch wide a-molds on my rear for a while, but found that I was taking a beating to the paint on my lower quarter panels, are you thinking of wheel flairs or mud flaps to prevent those wide tires from eating up your paint? I used the static applied plastic "clear-tastic" on mine after I noticed the chipping but wind got under one side and I lost one..so instead of that, I went to molded mud flaps on my rear wheel wheels only.
Best, Derek.
Haha! Anytime you want... as long as you bring your wallet

My cars lower quarters were already a little marked up from rocks and such from the previous owner, it does not really bother me at the moment... the car will need repainted somewhere down the road but until then I keep them clean and try to wash and wax the car at least once every month, I am very OCD when it comes to my car being clean.

Originally Posted by hcbph
Great looking car along with the story. You're very fortunate to be able to get such a car at your age. Take care of it and enjoy.
Thank you! I do consider myself very lucky, I plan on having it around for a while.

Originally Posted by 96 Vette CE
Congrats to you on all of your hard work. These cars are getting up there in age and it takes some dedication to keep them going, you surely have that! You seem to have a great head on your shoulders and aren't afraid of a little hard work, two things that will get you far in life. Thanks for sharing your story and also your pics, oh and don't forget to wave.
I agree. to me that is what makes it fun, if there was nothing to fix I would most likely become bored with it. I am not afraid of turning wrenches, my dad gave me that problem...

I always wave! I do my part to keep it alive...

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
VERY NICE!!!!

It is great that you tackled the motor and probably leaned more by doing this than half the members here on the Forum. Your connection to the car is even greater now that is is part of you.

Respect the power and be safe. If you want to explore the power, try something like autocross or the drag strip. Autocross is easier on the car than the strip and you learn to drive better and understand what the car is capable of doing.
I do feel more connected to the car, just because I've been inside of it and I now know how everything works.. I try my best to help out other members with questions from my personal experience where I can.

As for tracking the car, I have taken it to the strip I have taken it to Indianapolis and ran an 11.6x with traction problems... As it is set up now i'd have to do some work to do an Auto-X.. but it is definitely on my bucket list.

Originally Posted by Boxcar
to 17inaC4,

Your car looks great inside and out. Congratulations

The reason it is called an addition, there is no light at the end of the tunnel when it come to good maintenance, upgrades, and what if's.

Welcome to the therapy , hide your wallet , buy more memory cards .

Boxcar
That's what I love about it! It keeps the hobby interesting! I plan on buying a second one sometime down the road, who knows what will happen! As for the wallet, car related things are easy.... its everything else that seems like such a pain to pay for haha!

Originally Posted by 89L98TPI
Looks amazing.
Thanks brother, I still can't wait to meet up with you one of these days... I've been having an urge to buy an L98 project car.. I'd only be so lucky if it turned out half as nice as yours.

Originally Posted by ricasso
Beautiful looking car! well done.. you've set yourself a high standard for the next one but I'm guessing this one will be around for a long time! All the best..
Thank you! I try my best to do the best with what I've got.. I do plan on keeping the car for a long time to come

Take care
Old 10-09-2013, 11:27 AM
17inac4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Congrats on making your dream come true and sounds like some very good mods you've done. Enjoy that '95.
Thank you! I completely forgot to list the mods.

Engine:

factory block machined
Eagle 3.875 Crank
Manley Rods
mahle Pistons
CC306 Cam
Factory Heads Heavily ported by Lingenfelter
Comp beehive springs(i'm thinking of changing these)
LS7 lifters
hardened pushrods
Scorpion 1.6 rr's (these are nice for the money, but i'd like to go crane in the future)
Stock Lt1 intake ported powder coated red
cloyes double roller timing chain
factory opti
30lbs injectors
hooker long tubes
full 3 inch exhaust exit through borla mufflers

Trans:
RPM transmissions stock rebuild
heat sink trans cooler
Yank 3200 stall

Rear end is next on my list, dana 36 does not like my power right now
Old 10-09-2013, 06:48 PM
91 black convert
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Docderek05
Best, Derek.
On trucks they're called "mud flaps", on cars, (especially Vette's), they're called "splash guards".
Old 10-09-2013, 07:44 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to share your story and pictures. Your car looks amazing and must be a ton of fun to drive. When my son lived with us he had a Camaro SS and did a lot of up grades in our garage. I look back now and those were some very good times as we worked together on his car and my truck. Times like that well be memories that will last a life time and I cherish very much. I hope you and your dad had the opportunity to spend time together while working on your car. I guess thats your dads C6 in the garage ?

I'm glad to see young guys like you that have a love for these cars and desire to turn your own wrenches. A few years back I thought most young guys were going to imports but I've seen a bunch of young vette owners step in and keep the passion alive.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Sassman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing the story of your new/old Vette. The feelings you relate are the same for all the members here, whether they're 17 or 70. BTW, I fully approve of your dream car, as I just purchased mine 1 month ago. You may notice a few similarities.

Get notified of new replies

To From the beginning... to now. The story of my 95

Old 10-09-2013, 10:17 PM
routeman007
Burning Brakes

"I enjoyed your story of your Corvette Experience! Most all of us share in your sentiments of ownership of the All American Sports Car; The Corvette!"
"I also bought my 2nd Vette less than a month ago. '96 LT1" "Enjoy the 'Ride!' and remember, "Everything else is just transportation!"

Last edited by routeman007; 10-09-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:18 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Good job.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:01 PM
maddogwyatt
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Lovely car. You should be proud of it and of yourself. Over here in the UK, a 17 yr old would never get insurance on a Corvette or similar performance car. It wasn't always so. When I was a teenager in the '70's (I know) I started with a '59 Bugeye Sprite, then a '63 Jaguar S-Type, '67 Jensen Interceptor (6.3 litre Chrysler v8 motor, is that 383cu.in?) then a '68 Jaguar Mk2. I was never as good with tools as you, just fixed them when they broke. That Jensen started my love affair with American V8's, so a few years later, married to a car-mad wife, we bought a Mach 1 Mustang, finally, a year ago we bought our '93 convertible, and are loving it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: From the beginning... to now. The story of my 95