C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CF Diffuser recommendation

Old 09-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default CF Diffuser recommendation

Any recommendations for a CF diffuser? Looking for something that has quality build, appearance, fitment, and is easy to install.

Ideally the OEM Reverse lights would bolt right in, but open to other options as well.

I have seen options from American Hydrocarbon and C7 Carbon. Not a fan of the reverse light setup on the APR.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:11 PM
rhathawy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got an APR setup. It's a functional diffuser. I have a backup cam installed and can see fine at night with the APR setup. Even with no backup lights in the dark, the backup cam allows me to see behind the car.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rhathawy
I've got an APR setup. It's a functional diffuser. I have a backup cam installed and can see fine at night with the APR setup. Even with no backup lights in the dark, the backup cam allows me to see behind the car.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I'm not interested in using the lights to see, but rather, to let people know when I'm backing out of my spot.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Still looking for feedback. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Yellow C-6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I have the APR Diffuser it has the LED reverse lights that are mounted of each of of the license plate, you will have to look to see them on the ledge above the plate and they are bright. The quality of the APR is really good and perfect fitment. I have one of the other brands you mentioned on another Vette and it is very poor fitment and the mounts for the reverse lights is horrible. Hope this has helped some.

Derwin
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2013, 09:49 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I have the APR too and the quality and fitment is perfect
Old 09-27-2013, 09:52 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Breathless Performance has the nicest (to me) diffuser by far, but requires the additional purchase of custom exhaust. That being said, it still looks bad-*** and is at the top of my wishlist.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:05 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I have a CF rear diffuser from American Hydrocarbon. The fit was pretty good and finish was very good. There was a small gap on the top of one of the back up lights but it isn't noticeable unless you get down really low to look for it.

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 10-01-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Yellow C-6
I have the APR Diffuser it has the LED reverse lights that are mounted of each of of the license plate, you will have to look to see them on the ledge above the plate and they are bright. The quality of the APR is really good and perfect fitment. I have one of the other brands you mentioned on another Vette and it is very poor fitment and the mounts for the reverse lights is horrible. Hope this has helped some.

Derwin
Thanks. I like the style of the APR diffuser, just not a fan of the reverse light treatment. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the other brands.

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
I have the APR too and the quality and fitment is perfect
Thanks. Will keep the APR in mind. They look great.

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Breathless Performance has the nicest (to me) diffuser by far, but requires the additional purchase of custom exhaust. That being said, it still looks bad-*** and is at the top of my wishlist.
Yeah, the Breatheless one is pretty sweet, but not looking to do a custom exhaust. The dual mode is too nice to let go.

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
I have a CF rear diffuser from RPI. The fit pretty good and finish was very good. The was a small gap on the top of one of the back up lights but it isn't noticeable unless you get down really low to look for it.
Thanks. Did not know RPI made one. I couldn't find it on their site. Can you share a link?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jawnathin

Thanks. Did not know RPI made one. I couldn't find it on their site. Can you share a link?
After more searching (Diffuser didn't pull it up) I found this. Is this what you bought? Is it a replacement or just a cover? The description seems to indicate that it is just a cover that you lay on top of the existing one.

http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=987
Old 10-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Another vote for APR. Quality is top notch and fit is perfect. IMO it looks a lot better without the stock reverse lights. The LED lights are a lot brighter than you think. You couldn't miss them from behind the car. The APR diffuser isn't just for looks, it's a truly functional diffuser if that's what you're looking for. Mine's been on for a couple of years, including some high speed (160+ mph) road racing and it still looks brand new.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:14 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

After more searching (Diffuser didn't pull it up) I found this. Is this what you bought? Is it a replacement or just a cover? The description seems to indicate that it is just a cover that you lay on top of the existing one.

http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=987
My fault! I got confused about where I got my Carbon Fiber side skirts and front splitter with where I got the rear diffuser.

I got the FULL Carbon Fiber rear diffuser from American Hydrocarbon when it was on sale.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-diffuser.html

NOTE: I will mention that American Hydrocarbon had a batch of these that went out before mine, that had fitment problems. I waited until they fixed the problems before I ordered mine.

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 10-01-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

My fault! I got confused about where I got my Carbon Fiber side skirts and front splitter with where I got the rear diffuser.

I got the FULL Carbon Fiber rear diffuser from American Hydrocarbon when it was on sale.

NOTE: I will mention that American Hydrocarbon had a batch of these that went out before mine, that had fitment problems. I waited until they fixed the problems before I ordered mine.
My wife has a West Coast Corvette stick on and I have the American Hydrocarbon replacement one. As mentioned, it is stock shape but with a nice c/f finish. The only real problem with my wifes is how they cut out around the reverse lights.

Last edited by Racer; 10-01-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Another vote for APR. Quality is top notch and fit is perfect. IMO it looks a lot better without the stock reverse lights. The LED lights are a lot brighter than you think. You couldn't miss them from behind the car. The APR diffuser isn't just for looks, it's a truly functional diffuser if that's what you're looking for. Mine's been on for a couple of years, including some high speed (160+ mph) road racing and it still looks brand new.
Thanks. Not so concerned with the brightness actually, just don't like how the reverse lights look. Appreciate knowing the APR is a quality piece though and I'm still keeping that in mind.

Okay, thanks for the clarity. Sounds like they should have hammered all of that out by now. I think American Hydrocarbon might be the ticket for me.

Originally Posted by Racer
My wife has a West Coast Corvette stick on and I have the American Hydrocarbon replacement one. As mentioned, it is stock shape but with a nice c/f finish. The only real problem with my wifes is how they cut out around the reverse lights.

Thanks, which one do you like more? I assume the top is your wife's and the bottom is yours?
Old 10-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Anything out there actually functional or just cosmetic? Most of these look to be cosmetic factory replacements.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:52 PM
switchblade six
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Supervettes is perfect and while yur at it get some quarters too...
led reverse lights look great at the front of the tunnel
Old 10-02-2013, 11:37 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Drewstein
Anything out there actually functional or just cosmetic? Most of these look to be cosmetic factory replacements.
Functional?? If it is a direct replacement then it is functional.

Get notified of new replies

To CF Diffuser recommendation

Old 10-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Thanks. Not so concerned with the brightness actually, just don't like how the reverse lights look. Appreciate knowing the APR is a quality piece though and I'm still keeping that in mind.

Okay, thanks for the clarity. Sounds like they should have hammered all of that out by now. I think American Hydrocarbon might be the ticket for me.

Thanks, which one do you like more? I assume the top is your wife's and the bottom is yours?
Yes, mine is the bottom and it is better in every way, just like my car is better in ever way.....oops, here she comes, gotta go.......
Old 10-03-2013, 12:39 AM
switchblade six
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Functional?? If it is a direct replacement then it is functional.
I think what he meant was does the diffuser create downforce and no not likely..a functional diffuser works on the basis of negative pressure from the expanding tunnels and ideally should be about a third of the cars length and as close to the ground as possible....
Old 10-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Thanks, gonna take a good look at the American Hydrocarbon one.

Just not a fan of the APR's reverse light setup.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CF Diffuser recommendation