C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edmunds Comparison Test: C7 vs. Cayman S

Old 10-01-2013, 08:14 AM
CasualGuy
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Edmunds Comparison Test: C7 vs. Cayman S

Edmunds.com just posted a comparison test between the Z51 and the Cayman S.

We knew how this would turn out ahead of time. The Stingray posts better numbers in every instrumented test, yet the Porsche takes the win. Not having driven a C7 yet, I simply cannot say from personal experience how these two actually compare, but I can say that the Cayman S is the best handling and most rewarding car I have ever driven and that I was eagerly waiting for someone to finally do this comparison (the Cayman is much closer in price to the Vette than the 911). I did the Porsche Sport Driving School at Barber Motorsports Park back in August, and I was truly amazed by how well that car drove. It's clearly head and shoulders above my C6 Grand Sport, so it doesn't surprise me that it also wins out over the C7.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Zee51Vert
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh and by the way CORVETTE TAKES THE WIN!!!

A bit better in every category and looks way better than the Cayman IMHO.

And here you are looking at almost 20K more for the Porsche. Nevermind upkeep and maintenance...

CORVETTE BY A LANDSLIDE!!!

Last edited by Zee51Vert; 10-01-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:38 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Casual guy.. I look forward to photos of your cool new cayman s.

Good luck
Old 10-01-2013, 08:47 AM
CasualGuy
Racer

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Casual guy.. I look forward to photos of your cool new cayman s. Good luck
I have to be able to afford one first! I am actually very happy with my Vette. Everytime I see it or start it up and hear that V8 burble I can't help but smile. Friends and family give me a hard time because it seems like I'm always wearing a Corvette logo shirt or ball cap. I don't see myself getting rid of my GS anytime soon, although if I found a great deal on a Boxster S or Cayman S I would have to think long and hard about it.

I suppose I'm just saying that <gasp!> it's okay to like both Vettes and Porsches. They're all fantastic cars.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:53 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I have seen other articles mentioning the C7 0-60 performance as 4.3 seconds as well as this one. Was GM fudging with the 3.8 second claim or just overly ambitious from a marketing perspective ?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:55 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by CasualGuy
I have to be able to afford one first! I am actually very happy with my Vette. Everytime I see it or start it up and hear that V8 burble I can't help but smile. Friends and family give me a hard time because it seems like I'm always wearing a Corvette logo shirt or ball cap. I don't see myself getting rid of my GS anytime soon, although if I found a great deal on a Boxster S or Cayman S I would have to think long and hard about it.

I suppose I'm just saying that <gasp!> it's okay to like both Vettes and Porsches. They're all fantastic cars.
Sorry to hear you can't live the dream of a caymanS. Maybe the next time you can get the car you like better.

I imagine Porsche hats and shirts will be available if that floats your boat.

Good luck
Old 10-01-2013, 08:57 AM
CasualGuy
Racer

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I have seen other articles mentioning the C7 0-60 performance as 4.3 seconds as well as this one. Was GM fudging with the 3.8 second claim or just overly ambitious from a marketing perspective ?
Edmunds' acceleration figures are usually a bit slower than other mags, as they don't allow roll-out like many others due. Some publications have seen 3.8 to 60. There are so many variables that affect 0-60 times that some variation is normal. Ambient temperature/humidity, surface type, number of miles on test car/tires, gasoline octane, and driver skill can all have a big impact one way or the other. Edmunds is in CA, so I'm guessing they fill their test cars with 91 octane instead of 93.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 AM
shaan
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 17 Posts

I think motor trend had 0-60 time of 3.7 sec for the C7. So i am not worried at all
Old 10-01-2013, 09:03 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by shaan
I think motor trend had 0-60 time of 3.7 sec for the C7. So i am not worried at all
Maybe so. But I would really like to see somebody here that has a car try to get anything close to those figures. I have a feeling 0-60 is really closer to 4.3 and its just another attempt by GM at nonsense numbers. But the fact is all of the big 3 do this so I am not surprised.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:46 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Mark Takahashi is a blinded Porsche shill. I saw a video with him in it once. He is so jaded by the Porsche superiority nonsense that it was a joke to listen to him. He has no business being a objective journalist !! Wobbly switch gear. What a line of BS.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:47 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Normally I don't respond to reviews but this review is kind of a joke...
Why even do any real testing? Just drive it around and crown it king. I've seen it said in a number of reviews that the Cayman drives better than the 911 so I would guess that its going be be rated better than the Corvette. If the Corvette wins in every single tested category but still loses, why bother?

I don't know what the Edmunds reviewer is talking about but there are a variety of electronic nannies/settings to the Cayman. It's clearly a great handler but it's not quite 'The Natural' he might have you believe.
From Car and Driver...
The Sport button, formerly included with the Sport Chrono package, is now standard, as it’s the shortcut to deactivating the coasting and the engine stop-start programs. It also relaxes the stability control, quickens shifts, and sharpens throttle tip-in. Sport Plus, still part of the $1850 Sport Chrono package, takes each of those computerized parameters one step further and, on PDK-equipped cars, adds launch control. Torque vectoring, which brakes the inside rear wheel to help the car rotate in corners, is new to the Cayman. An option that first requires the optional Porsche Active Suspension Management, it certainly makes itself known in high-g cornering. But the Cayman is neutral and responsive enough that it’s hardly critical.
C&D also had an issue with the Cayman's 6 spd manual...
When hurrying the three-two downshift, it’s too easy to land in reverse.
Ever had THAT problem with your Corvette?

Maybe the Corvette just has too much power for this Edmund reviewer. Maybe if the Corvette dropped 30-50 hp it would handle more like the Cayman, which, as Car and Driver also recently said, "...is still a car with more chassis than guts".

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure the Cayman is a fantastic car and handles better than the Corvette but, clearly, would still lose at the track and on the back roads. It's all depends on what you want and clearly, the guy from Edmunds wants a Cayman.

Last edited by BlueOx; 10-01-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

You've got to be kidding me.
It has been pointed out several times each time that Edmunds releases another of these "comparisons" to the C7 that they are just regurgitating a single test over and over again.

But no...you're probably correct. GM clearly lied about the C7's performance.
S.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Maybe so. But I would really like to see somebody here that has a car try to get anything close to those figures. I have a feeling 0-60 is really closer to 4.3 and its just another attempt by GM at nonsense numbers. But the fact is all of the big 3 do this so I am not surprised.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:58 AM
VIN666
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And at the Streets of Willow road course, a track that distinctly favors handling over power, the Corvette clocked a lap time of 1:24.6, smoking the Cayman's 1:27.0. Pit them against each other at Willow's big track and the Porsche would be even further outclassed.

So on a HANDLING track the C7 rapes the beetle, yet itīs the worse handling car?
Makes perfect sense to me...
Also itīs better through the slalom and on the skid pad...

Idiots.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Old 10-01-2013, 10:01 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Snorman
You've got to be kidding me.
It has been pointed out several times each time that Edmunds releases another of these "comparisons" to the C7 that they are just regurgitating a single test over and over again.

But no...you're probably correct. GM clearly lied about the C7's performance.
S.
Its not that they lied. Its just that they use artistic license. Lets see what they really do on the track by some new owners here. I may be wrong. But you may be also.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Its not that they lied. Its just that they use artistic license. Lets see what they really do on the track by some new owners here. I may be wrong. But you may be also.
You know...no matter how many times these claims are laid to rest with facts from numerous tests where the car ran sub-4.0 0-60's or achieved quarter mile results on unprepped skidpad sufaces that are close to what GM claimed the C7 will run, somebody is always going to pick the slowest test results out there and say the manufacturer "lied" or misled customers.
S.

Get notified of new replies

To Edmunds Comparison Test: C7 vs. Cayman S

Old 10-01-2013, 10:25 AM
LS6GXP
Racer

This comparison is the biggest pile of steaming shat I've read to date....
Old 10-01-2013, 10:41 AM
VIN666
Pro

Ainīt that the truth.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:53 AM
CorvetteFerrariFTW
Advanced

Originally Posted by VIN666
And at the Streets of Willow road course, a track that distinctly favors handling over power, the Corvette clocked a lap time of 1:24.6, smoking the Cayman's 1:27.0. Pit them against each other at Willow's big track and the Porsche would be even further outclassed.

So on a HANDLING track the C7 rapes the beetle, yet itīs the worse handling car?
Makes perfect sense to me...
Also itīs better through the slalom and on the skid pad...

Idiots.
I agree. It makes no sense. With Edmunds, I don't weigh very heavily on their results, whether the Corvette wins or does not. And this author sure seemed very biased. The Corvette loses, it loses. OK. But it just appeared to be slanted towards the Porsche. Great car and all, don't get me wrong, but c'mon. If you look at the MT Best Driver's Car, the Cayman didn't come in first. In fact, the MT preferred the Corvette to the Cayman and they also like preferred the F-type to the Cayman.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Edmunds Comparison Test: C7 vs. Cayman S