Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The First 100 miles A non-Z51 perspective

Old 09-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Litumup411
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts
Default The First 100 miles A non-Z51 perspective

I just picked up my car last night from the great guys at Kerbeck, and I thought I would give my impression of the ride home.

I averaged about 28 miles per gallon cruising at a steady 75. It was pretty interesting using the rev match feature on the car. Around town it was neat to have it almost shift for me, which made all of the traffic lights in Atlantic City a little more bearable.

Seven gears, I don't know. I did a Lot of 4–7 shifting. I think it will take some getting used to.

For those of you who were wondering whether the ride would be too floaty, it's not. It is well damped and the steering is very communicative. I'm no hot shoe, and I'm not one of those guys that likes to take his cars to the track, but I do love a good on-ramp. The car handled flawlessly. After the two hour ride home, even though it was late, my body was not tired getting out of the driver seat. The seats are an amazing improvement.

I really didn't step into it to see how powerful the car is, but I did run a yellow light in fifth gear at about 1000 RPMs with no problem.

I was a little worried at first that I did not get the Z 51 suspension since that seems to be all the rage with the car magazines, But for those of you who did order the standard suspension, you won't be disappointed.

I know it's been a long wait for some of you, but as anxious as I was, once you get your car, none of that will matter.

I have some great pictures, but if someone can help me to post them I'll do that. They're just on my iPad now.

Last edited by Litumup411; 09-30-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up, good luck with your new car!
Old 09-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Thank you! The world does not end if you get a non Z51 car - some of us actually demanded it...
Old 09-28-2013, 09:50 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Nice,

Any pics?

Old 09-28-2013, 09:56 AM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

A lot of folks use Photobucket to upload their pics online then post the links here. Good luck and congrats!
Old 09-28-2013, 09:57 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

thanks,I`m in the same situation,changed my order from z-51 to non z-51 three times.....at the end I chose the look I preferred.....the wingless non z-51,green with black interior.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:01 AM
sccaracer46
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Litumup411
I just picked up my car last night from the great guys at Kerbeck, and I thought I would give my impression of the ride home.

I averaged about 28 miles per gallon cruising at a steady 75. It was pretty interesting using the rev match feature on the car. Around town it was neat to have it almost shift for me, which made all of the traffic lights in Atlantic City a little more bearable.

Seven gears, I don't know. I did a Lot of 4–7 shifting. I think it will take some getting used to.

For those of you who were wondering whether the ride would be too floaty, it's not. It is well damped and the steering is very communicative. I'm no hot shoe, and I'm not one of those guys that likes to take his cars to the track, but I do love a good on-ramp. The car handled flawlessly. After the two hour ride home, even though it was late, my body was not tired getting out of the driver seat. The seats are an amazing improvement.

I really didn't step into it to see how powerful the car is, but I did run a yellow light in fifth gear at about 1000 RPMs with no problem.

I was a little worried at first that I did not get the Z 51 suspension since that seems to be all the rage with the car magazines, But for those of you who did order the standard suspension, you won't be disappointed.

I know it's been a long wait for some of you, but as anxious as I was, once you get your car, none of that will matter.

I have some great pictures, but if someone can help me to post them I'll do that. They're just on my iPad now.
Ditto on those comments! I also bought mine w/o the Z51 option and I have driven competitively for many years and this car handles amazing well with the standard suspension. I bought my car to enjoy touring and was concerned that the Z51 option (especially without the magnetic shocks) would have a harsher ride. Also, the weight of the Z51 appears to be about 150# heavier. Also, transmission gearing is lower in the Z51 and with 465 lb/ft of torque, that is not an issue for street driving.

I love the seven speed gearbox with the rev matching feature.....smooth shifts! I find I shuffle thru the gears and unless I am on the freeway, I like to cruise in 5th gear as it really responds when you mash the throttle. I have used 7th gear when cruising at 70mph, but have used the Eco-mode for maybe 5 minutes! I could do without that mode!

I also like driving with the car in "Sport mode" or "Track mode" as the tunable exhaust makes very entertaining music in those modes!

I think everyone will be pleased with the performance and ride quality with the standard suspension. If I were going to spend a lot of time on the track or autocrossing (competitively) I would opt for the Z51 option. But for general driving and occasional trips to the track or autocross, you won't be sorry you didn't get the Z51 option!
Old 09-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Litumup411
Racer

http://instagram.com/p/ezoGG4NFdT/

Hopefully this link works, if the picture is upside down I'm sorry

I forgot to mention the eco-mode. I turned it on for a little bit, and there is a noticeable rumble that, if I was looking to get that extra one or two MPG, I would deal with it. I don't know that I'll be using that mode unless gas is $9.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Litumup411
Racer

http://instagram.com/p/ezmcfVNFaD/
http://instagram.com/p/ezm214NFa7/
http://instagram.com/p/ezm_TRNFbI/
http://instagram.com/p/ezmNiCtFZj/
Old 09-28-2013, 10:27 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,419 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Nice feedback.

Congrats on the new 7.

Have fun and be safe.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:30 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

A great review. This is the type of information people(who don't know what car and options they want to buy) are looking for. How a normal person drives his car normally and the results of his driving his car.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:34 AM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks great enjoy. How about the Bi-xenon headlights are they brighter than the C6?
Old 09-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Litumup411
Racer

Wife says they are very bright, and I blinded her with the brights.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:42 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Thanks for the review
Old 09-28-2013, 10:45 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratulations on your new C7!
As for the 7 spd, I still do a lot of 4-6 shifts in my '05 Vette, so I'm not surprised you are doing 4-7. Did you happen to notice the LT1's rpm @ 75 mph in 7th? Somewhere in the 1250-1350 range?
Curious how it was in hard cornering? Did you feel there was a lot of body roll without that rear anti-sway bar?
What about the AFM/4 cyl mode? Did you try this at all and if so, what was your impression?
Old 09-28-2013, 10:45 AM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife says they are very bright, and I blinded her with the brights.
What i don't know is if the C7 HID has auto leveling mechanism.

When you turn the lights on if it has it, the beam will move up and down until it settles.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:51 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome..good insight

Get notified of new replies

To The First 100 miles A non-Z51 perspective

Old 09-28-2013, 12:08 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

... the white looks pretty sharp. I like those wheels and the big red calpers all seem to go well with the white & black scheme.

How about a picture or two of the new C7 with the 66 GT40? Wow, that GT is a nice car.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:11 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Beautiful ride!! Congrats
Old 09-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Zevo
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for the info. I trust the opinion of anyone who has a gulf oil Ford GT. You have some awesome cars. I'm truly jealous. Enjoy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The First 100 miles A non-Z51 perspective