Sponsored by:

Only 142 miles and I get a CEL

Old 09-28-2013, 06:16 AM
zipcode
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only 142 miles and I get a CEL

Title says it all really...

Well done GM. All that hype about quality...
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2013, 06:22 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

That sucks... but it really could happen with any car. My wife's Toyota had an issue with the air conditioner at 500kms. Easy fix and nothing since. It can happen once and a while to any car. Hopefully it's nothing. Keep us updated and good luck!
Old 09-28-2013, 06:27 AM
MHFontaine
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 155 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Wonder if the OnStar diag can tell you quickly what the problem is...I've done that a couple time on my wife's Equinox. Gives you an idea as to what's wrong before you head to the dealer. Good luck !
Old 09-28-2013, 06:27 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Might be something very minor like a loose MAF cable. Take it in and let us know.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:38 AM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

That sucks. It shouldn't happen, plain and simple. Hopefully it's minor, but now you'll have to be inconvenienced with a trip to the dealer.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:41 AM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

check your gas cap, that sets off a CEL if it's not properly tightened.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:41 AM
Jose Jalapeno
Advanced

loose gas cap from when dealer filled tank????
Old 09-28-2013, 06:42 AM
Jose Jalapeno
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rob 99
BMTI by seconds
Old 09-28-2013, 06:48 AM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 99
[matrix]

There is no gas cap.

[/matrix]
Old 09-28-2013, 06:55 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does it have an OBD2 port? If so, you can read it on your own perhaps.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:12 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by zipcode

I agree that it sucks and I wouldn't be too thrilled about it if it was my car but it most likely is something very minor....

Part of the reason I am sitting back a bit before ordering is just this....good luck with the car, congrats and keep us posted....
Old 09-28-2013, 07:23 AM
jsc7vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by -CM-
[matrix]

There is no gas cap.

[/matrix]
As CM noted, the C7 has a capless fill system. You open the filler door and insert the gas pump nozzle. There is a separate adapter included in case you have to add gas from a gas can.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:25 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Picked up a brand new CTS-V 5 months ago and at 300 miles the check engine light came on. Took it into the dealer and as I drove it into the service dept the light went out. It has never come on again( car now has 7000 miles on it). S--t happens. No worries, you have a warranty.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:28 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I don't know why this statement bothers me so much, but it really does. Do you honestly believe every single car is going to be 100% perfect??? I'm confident GM has done a great job at making the C7 the best Corvette ever, but that doesn't ensure that every single car is going to be trouble free. You'd have to be foolish to believe that. You should just be happy that you've got a C7, as a lot of people (myself included) want one real bad!
Old 09-28-2013, 07:33 AM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

You have a warranty and it's probably something minor. I'm sure GM would want to get their hands on it quickly, "hype about quality"....really?
Old 09-28-2013, 07:34 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
I don't know why this statement bothers me so much, but it really does. Do you honestly believe every single car is going to be 100% perfect??? I'm confident GM has done a great job at making the C7 the best Corvette ever, but that doesn't ensure that every single car is going to be trouble free. You'd have to be foolish to believe that. You should just be happy that you've got a C7, as a lot of people (myself included) want one real bad!

My father in law just bought a big screen LCD LED TV and 2 days after we mounted the thing on the wall it crapped out...all he did was get a new one under warranty...happens with ANYTHING that's manufactured....

GM will most certainly take care of any issues very quickly...this car launch is a big deal for GM and I for one am glad they have made the investment to make the C7....

I hate to be a broken record BUT....if I was one of the first batch I would know that there might be a few issues here or there...which is why I'm waiting until Dec or Jan to either order the car or walk into a showroom and buy one...

Old 09-28-2013, 07:37 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Agreed... things happen with ALL car brands. People take something like this and completely overreact. The world is not falling apart. Even the best quality cars in the world will have the odd issue here and there.

Having said that, I do get the OP's disappointment in having to see this light on their new car when he has been so excited to receive it!

Get notified of new replies

To Only 142 miles and I get a CEL

Old 09-28-2013, 07:39 AM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

The guy just got the car and is frustrated and probably worried that there is more of this to come if it is happening so early. What he posted doesn't warrant a lecture from you about being happy about having a C7.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:44 AM
bgood
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Does it have an OBD2 port? If so, you can read it on your own perhaps.

This leads into a question I have for the C7. On the C5 there was a way to pull DTC codes and read them from the DIC. I know this feature was disabled or removed in the C6. Does anyone here know if we will be able to pull codes similar to what we are able to do with the C5?
Old 09-28-2013, 07:48 AM
asphaltrecycler
Instructor

Really? What do all you early adapters expect? You are one of the first retail deliveries of an entirely new program. Name a major program that has launched recently that has NOT had a problem, issue or hiccup? I have never seen such a collective group of bratty two year olds in my life...Have most of you lived in a donut and beer filled bubble your whole lives?
On a positive note, I appreciate the efforts...I am purposely waiting until next spring for all of you to figure most of the bugs out so I can order mine with some of the issues corrected at significantly under sticker! Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Only 142 miles and I get a CEL