Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7s land in SoCal...First Impressions.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:23 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default C7s land in SoCal...First Impressions.

DISCLAIMER#1: Some of the things you are about to read may seem nitpicky. If you feel they are nitpicky please be aware that I am aware that they are nitpicky and do not require you posting to tell me they are nitpicky followed by an insult or snide comment.

DISCLAIMER#2: People tend to justify their own purchases in their mind as a defense mechanism to reinforce their own purchasing decisions. I am no different and while some of you may be above that, I am only human. Please see disclaimer#1 if you feel I am justifying my own purchasing decisions and being biased.

My dealer received a Torch Red on Black 3LT. It had a painted top with black wheels. Z51 with NPP and MRC. It also had the carbon fiber interior and red calipers.

Exterior:
Good:
  • Amazing lines that are way better in person than in photos.
  • Good panel gaps and paint quality
  • The whole roof line made a ton of sense and looked really good.
  • Carbon Flash is a nice finishing touch and the rear isn't as bad in person, granted it may wear off. I am still starstruck.
  • Wheels look great and those brakes are finally worthy of all Corvettes not just higher models.
  • Small details like crossflags in the headlights and rear window are nice subtle nods of the cap
  • Nothing else on the GM lot looked even close and the Camaro sitting next to it looked ancient in comparison
Bad:
  • I can tell the shipping cover left moisture between the cover and the car because the detailers were lazy. Waxers get ready to re-detail the cars.
  • The wheels and wheelwells were absolutely filthy and the lazy detail job made it abundantly clear how dirty these cars get before getting to the dealer.
  • Three of the car covers on this shipment flew off the cars in transit. Not a good thing to have flapping fabric and zippers on your car
  • Spoiler does have gaps but the good news is I am 99% sure they are supposed to be there to channel water. Equal on both sides and it looks deliberate.
  • Torch Red at dusk looks orange...really orange...and this doesn't show up in photos.
  • The red brake calipers were not the same shade of red as the Torch Red and had more orange than I would like. again depends on lighting and doesn't show up in photos
  • Car had NPP and was misaligned by a half inch on the driver's side. It made the tips look wrong in the center and also on the driver's side outer edge because it was pushed too far in. That is the risk you run putting four tips so close together like that.
  • Not a fan of different color tips from the NPP
  • The exhaust tips are better than what we got stock with C5s but those with aftermarket units will want to go right out and repolish them. Do not expect a show car polish.
  • There is a secondary line from the fender and hood that runs into the headlight and disappears. I am sure it does something but I am not a fan of this one line.
  • There is a TON of places for lazy detailers to get wax caught so those of you who take your car down to bubba with the wool pad and no skill expect white lines everywhere.

Interior: Which was locked
Good:
  • Lines look amazing and the standard seats look bad a$$ from the outside
  • The dash makes the car look so much more modern than C5/C6 it is crazy.
  • As big a difference in quality from a C6 as a C6 is from a C5 and pictures don't do it justice.
Bad:
  • Black 3LT was a bit much on the stiching on the dash as they traced every single contour with thread.
  • There is a really weird thin strip of leather in the middle of the dash that has thread on both sides and splits in the middle of the dash. The thread work here is WAY TOO BUSY
  • Personally I think the 3LT is overdone in black, I can't make any impressions of other colors.
  • The carbon fiber trim is a little too subtle and almost looks fake. Maybe it looks better inside the car.
  • That was all I could see.

I couldn't get access to more because it was a customer car and was locked. I hope to have a more in-depth when I get mine, which could be 2 days or 3 weeks. It depends on which 4200 status I got.

Glad I finally got the chance to see one. Overall very nice job GM.

Last edited by WildVettes; 09-25-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

again, thanks for your observations...I think very good ones....tired of just seeing pics here....brace yourself.... cheerleaders will be following here quickly....

how was paint, orange peel or good gloss?

Last edited by Glen e; 09-24-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:30 PM
VIN666
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait, this wasn't even your car? LOL
So in other words, you just saw your first one in person?
Man, the title kinda suggests a driving review, don't you think? haha
Old 09-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Awfully nitpicky id say!
Thanks for the great list of impressions look forward to seeing what you have to say after you take delivery!
Old 09-24-2013, 11:37 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,428 Likes on 2,268 Posts

I wonder if it was moisture under the cover, or if the cover was put on a dirty car.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:40 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Glen e
again, thanks for your observations...I think very good ones....tired of just seeing pics here....brace yourself.... cheerleaders will be following here quickly....

how was paint, orange peel or good gloss?
I didn't go in-depth enough. The hood and front fenders looked good, but they usually do. The doors and rear fenders are generally where GM has the worst orange peel.

Last edited by WildVettes; 09-24-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:42 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by VIN666
Wait, this wasn't even your car? LOL
So in other words, you just saw your first one in person?
Man, the title kinda suggests a driving review, don't you think? haha
Nope I think it implies that C7s have landed in SoCal which they have and my first impressions...which I gave.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:43 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I wonder if it was moisture under the cover, or if the cover was put on a dirty car.
Similar white film to when I accidentally left my C5 in the rain with a dust cover on. I think it came from rain or dew in the air during transport. There were slight surface scratches but nothing crazy.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:44 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Bill B 1
Awfully nitpicky id say!
Thanks for the great list of impressions look forward to seeing what you have to say after you take delivery!
Me too!
Old 09-24-2013, 11:45 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
If the latter, inexcusable! I sincerely do not believe that BG would do that with their creations, even if ONLY for marketing purposes. Everything I have ever heard from people who have taken the buyer's tour there tells me they take far too much pride in their product to let the lack of a 15 minute rinse down/dry off prior to cover install ruin it all.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:47 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,428 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
If the latter, inexcusable! I sincerely do not believe that BG would do that with their creations, even if ONLY for marketing purposes. Everything I have ever heard from people who have taken the buyer's tour there tells me they take far too much pride in their product to let the lack of a 15 minute rinse down/dry off prior to cover install ruin it all.

I would hope so, too.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:51 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by rcallen484
I don't believe based on what I saw the covers are put on dirty cars, but on a side note based on the condition of the exposed pieces like the wheels it is a very good thing they have them on there. HOWEVER, they need to fix the problem with them flying off as flapping zippers are much worse than no cover.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:22 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

DISCLAIMER 1: snide remarks coming. If you don't want snide remarks, don't post and then tell people not to make snide remarks

DISCLAIMER 2: If you really don't like snide remarks, don't read any further.

So, GM is supposed to keep in mind "lazy detailers" as they design and engineer the cars?

I find it hard to believe 2 car covers "ripped off" in transit. Have you seen that video of it being removed? It takes 8 minutes and you have to open the doors and the hood to do it. I suspect they were removed for other reasons and not simply "blown off" in transit.

Also, isn't this the same torch red of the C6's?

Last edited by Sin City; 09-25-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:26 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Sin City
So, GM is supposed to keep in mind "lazy detailers" as they design and engineer the cars?
Not sure where I put they did? Lazy detailers just allowed an insight to how the cars arrived.

I find it hard to believe 2 car covers "ripped off" in transit. Have you seen that video of it being removed? It takes 8 minutes and you have to open the doors and the hood to do it.
There is another post in this forum about cars on I40 that had three missing covers. So what you are saying is the driver is a liar? Why would he bother lying? My dealer also took pics of the cars missing covers when they arrived. If it will make you feel better I can get the photographic proof for you.

Also, isn't this the same torch red of the C6's?
Yep, and my C6 isn't Torch Red and those look Orange in certain lighting too. The interior window shot helps to see some of the orange. C5s had torch red too and C6s also had Victory Red.

Thanks for posting snide comments instead of moving along since you CLEARLY don't agree with my first impressions even though they are my first impressions and not yours.

Last edited by WildVettes; 09-25-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:33 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WildVettes
There is another post in this forum about cars on I40 that had three missing covers. So what you are saying is the driver is a liar? Why would he bother lying?

:
Please show us where in your original post you quote the driver.

Did the driver really tell you this? You actually met the driver in person as he pulled in, you asked him what happened to those missing covers, and he said they blew off in transit? And, you didn't ask him where they went or what happened to cause it?

That's what us to believe?
Old 09-25-2013, 12:35 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Thanks for posting snide comments instead of moving along since you CLEARLY don't agree with my first impressions even though they are my first impressions and not yours.
There are some people who think their opinions are the only ones that matter in the world so please don't bother to burst their bubble.

Then, there's rest of the world.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:40 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Please show us where in your original post you quote the driver.

Did the driver really tell you this? You actually met the driver in person as he pulled in, you asked him what happened to those missing covers, and he said they blew off in transit? And, you didn't ask him where they went or what happened to cause it?

That's what us to believe?
No my salesperson who took photos of the covers when they were delivered asked the driver all those questions.

If you would like you can call all the other dealers in the SoCal area who each got one Vette off that truck and ask them how their interview of that driver went and then compare all responses to find the hole in his story. I prefer to believe people when they say the cover blew off and the cover isn't on the car on the transporter.

Originally Posted by MikeV
I saw a truckload going west on 40 headed for Barstow yesterday.
Should be at dealers today. Interesting that some did not have the white covers on them. Must have removed them to move them around if there not in the correct order.

Mike V
When comparing stories of two people who have never met that seem to match it is not unreasonable to believe what people are telling you is true.

Last edited by WildVettes; 09-25-2013 at 12:45 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7s land in SoCal...First Impressions.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:41 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

There are some people who think their opinions are the only ones that matter in the world so please don't bother to burst their bubble.

Then, there's rest of the world.
Yep, just re-read my post and don't see anywhere in there where I put my opinion is the only one that matters.

In fact I thought I did a pretty good job of explaining they were my impressions and were subject to my OCD personality AND my own personal biases.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:45 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

No my salesperson who took photos of the covers when they were delivered asked the driver all those questions.

If you would like you can call all the other dealers in the SoCal area who each got one Vette off that truck and ask them how their interview of that driver went and then compare all responses to find the hole in his story. I prefer to believe people when they say the cover blew off and the cover isn't on the car on the transporter.
I still don't believe they "blew off" after looking at the video on how to remove them.

Did they have some kind of problem? Maybe. But, you make an assumption in your first post that may or may not be true. Yet, you state it as fact.

Don't blame us for being suspicious. You seem to have some kind of bone to pick.

I actually don't disagree with some of your statements. For you, 3LT in black may be over done. For others, it's just right. The "orange" red comment at "dusk" is just seems silly though. Is that really something to worry about? Don't all colors change their hue in the orange light of dusk?

Drink it all in combined with the double warning of "don't even bother to question my wisdom here" and you get what you get.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:51 AM
R W B
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it seems as though most of your personal issues are with the lazy detailers at your local dealership and not GM themselves.

Also, IDK anything about these covers but damn, how bad would that be to be driving behind one of these trucks if those covers really do fly off that easily. I mean that could literally kill people. I see that being a law suit waiting to happen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7s land in SoCal...First Impressions.