Canadian Events Canada, eh?

C6 will not start

Old 09-17-2013, 10:47 PM
Hajie c6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 will not start

Hello all in need of some help. All I get is a clicking sound when I try to start my 2005 c6. When I put the charger on it the alarm will go off. So then I took the connection off , charge the battery it's new put the connection back on and all I get is a clicking sound right a way. And the light on the hood flashes with ine clicking sound.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:12 PM
use2bl8
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the battery is not fully charged or needs replacing. Might also be a loose battery connection.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:05 AM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by use2bl8
Sounds like the battery is not fully charged or needs replacing. Might also be a loose battery connection.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:54 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a bad battery cell ...

If you press the start button, with out trying to start the car ... keep feet of the pedals ... the car will cycle through it's internal diagnostics ... and you should be able to check the battery volt reading on the DIC ... if it is below 10, the car will not allow the starter to engage.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:11 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The hood light, is it going out? That's a good sign that the voltage is dropping. Sounds like either a bad battery or a bad connection in the main wiring of the car - battery negative to ground or battery positive to fuse blocks or starter solenoid.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:31 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Hajie c6
Hello all in need of some help. All I get is a clicking sound when I try to start my 2005 c6. When I put the charger on it the alarm will go off. So then I took the connection off , charge the battery it's new put the connection back on and all I get is a clicking sound right a way. And the light on the hood flashes with ine clicking sound.
Hey Hajib, don't charge the battery whilst still inside the vehicle.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:51 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by CDN_Wolf_eh
Sounds like a bad battery cell ...

If you press the start button, with out trying to start the car ... keep feet of the pedals ... the car will cycle through it's internal diagnostics ... and you should be able to check the battery volt reading on the DIC ... if it is below 10, the car will not allow the starter to engage.
you need to press the bottom of the start button
Old 09-18-2013, 07:34 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AGVI
Hey Hajib, don't charge the battery whilst still inside the vehicle.
why? i did 100's times never had any problem....never (not my vette but at the shop).....i repeat never even nice cars too...
Old 09-18-2013, 07:45 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Hajie: do the simple check first, i suspect battery either not fully charged or internal short (bad battery), disconnect your old battery and hook up battery booster (not trickle battery charger) or a good battery.

If still no start, than check battery voltage (note down), check voltage at trigger wire i think its purple on starter (someone needs to try start the car while you checking voltage there)....no voltage or more than .5 voltage difference measured at battery terminals than now trace that purple wire for somewhere breakage or heavy resistance...this purple leads to ign switch.

Once car started and you still have battery drain next day or within few hours than gotta check out parasitic draw test......thats later part dont go there until you figured out starting issue.

is relays (passenger foot well) clicking while you start the car?
Old 09-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Hajie c6
Instructor

Thank you all for all the help. Today I came home and try to boost the car had my yukon running then when I connected the jumper cable to the car the horn started to go off . So I pulled the fuse. Then all the lights started to flash the starter clicked and that was it still will not start. So tell me if I am wrong that tell me the car battery was dead again I got this battery in July . When I disconnect the boost cable I can still hear that ticking noise some were in the fuse box.and it stop when the battery was dead again.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:39 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Originally Posted by sami85L98
why? i did 100's times never had any problem....never (not my vette but at the shop).....i repeat never even nice cars too...
That makes no sense.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:25 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

That makes no sense.
He needs to get someone with a C2 who really knows Corvettes to help out. Those guys also have their own jacks
Old 09-18-2013, 09:30 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

That makes no sense.
what make sense? i am not alone even kick *** high fi fancy place do the same chit, even on nice euro cars....heck visit GM dealer too....with the labor time reduced and on top reduced warranty work.....and mechanics over there work on flat rate system....he dont gave a chit either, charge the dam thing and do a quicky job and he moved on to another car....they gotta make money, this is the reason i work for private garage we do lot better than at GM dealer, not saying mechanics over there are ****** nope, they get paid on flat rate system....and these days most dealership reduced labor rates plus warranty work is big time sucks (less hr paid than regular customer pay).
Old 09-18-2013, 09:41 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Hajie: Disconnect the current battery and connect with your yukan battery and see what happens....if lights are on and many things are ON than something is shorted or some electrical circuit is getting powered.....

If relays are clicking than not enough battery juice period. Isolate your existing battery and hook up with your yukan battery by itself.

No start is hard to trouble shoot through private forum or even messaging, if you are not DIY guy and not enough tools i would tow to mechanic shop.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:19 PM
DDP
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts

sounds like the starter or solinoid, dawing the power from the battery and thats whats makes the hood lights go out if the battery is fully charged.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Hajie c6
Instructor

Up date to all that help. Came home and hook up the new battery that CT give me, and boom she fired right up. So I am going to have a test done to see why the battery is draining when the car is not in use. I will give you all the answer on sat.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:40 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Originally Posted by sami85L98
what make sense? i am not alone even kick *** high fi fancy place do the same chit, even on nice euro cars....heck visit GM dealer too....with the labor time reduced and on top reduced warranty work.....and mechanics over there work on flat rate system....he dont gave a chit either, charge the dam thing and do a quicky job and he moved on to another car....they gotta make money, this is the reason i work for private garage we do lot better than at GM dealer, not saying mechanics over there are ****** nope, they get paid on flat rate system....and these days most dealership reduced labor rates plus warranty work is big time sucks (less hr paid than regular customer pay).
Thanks for clearing that up.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 will not start

Old 09-21-2013, 07:38 AM
0Dasilvamotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Hajie c6
Up date to all that help. Came home and hook up the new battery that CT give me, and boom she fired right up. So I am going to have a test done to see why the battery is draining when the car is not in use. I will give you all the answer on sat.
Are you putting the car in reverse gear when you park it ?

2005 6spd manual Corvette's need to be in reverse gear when parked or the battery will drain . This might be the cause of battery problem
Old 09-21-2013, 08:29 AM
Hajie c6
Instructor

Yes in reverse when parked. Learn that the first week I got the car.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:17 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Glad it worked for you, i never put the gear in reverse sometime in neutral with emergency brakes pulled sometime in any gear...may be i am lucky or battery is too good. I use Interstate battery 640 CCA.

If you still have battery drain than pm me your number i walk you thru how to check parasitic draw test, all you need is DVOM meter and small plier and 4" plastic clamp and start checking fuses. connect meter in amp mode and when connected across B+ and B- should read less than 50ma if more than that you have draw somewhere, start pulling fuses, when you pulled a particular fuse and amp reading less than 50ma you have that draw follow that fuse (ckt) some switch must be ON.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 will not start