Sponsored by:

C7 wide body ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:04 PM
jayutmb
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 wide body ?

I am sure it is here someplace, but I cant find a decent answer anyplace.. Is there anyone out that has a wide body kit coming out for the C7 yet? ( Thinking the Z07)
Old 09-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by jayutmb
I am sure it is here someplace, but I cant find a decent answer anyplace.. Is there anyone out that has a wide body kit coming out for the C7 yet? ( Thinking the Z07)
Yes. Chevrolet in a year from now.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:07 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Yes. Chevrolet in a year from now.
Well actually it will probably be announced in January.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:11 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

There are already two companies who have shown renderings of their C7's for SEMA this year, that have widebody modifications. I guarantee you...there will be widebody panels available immediately.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:15 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
There are already two companies who have shown renderings of their C7's for SEMA this year, that have widebody modifications. I guarantee you...there will be widebody panels available immediately.
How far can they go with wheel/tire mods before ECU starts throwing disabling codes? Do these same places have the expertise to tune for that?
Old 09-09-2013, 10:33 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
How far can they go with wheel/tire mods before ECU starts throwing disabling codes? Do these same places have the expertise to tune for that?
What do you mean?

Like having it throw off the traction management systems?

I'm pretty sure they adjust according to traction and weight transfers all by itself.

I'm not sure but the systems should be good enough to perform well no matter what wheel and tire sizes you use.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:40 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by C7pimp
What do you mean?

I'm pretty sure they adjust according to traction and weight transfers all by itself.

I'm not sure but the systems should be good enough to perform well no matter what wheel and tire sizes you use.
At some point the ECU can get a reading on some parameter that it mistakenly thinks is a real problem so it shuts the car down. Purely as an example, obviously not applicable here, I believe with the C6 this was an issue with some CAI setups. Someone more technically oriented than me can (and hopefully will) answer your question.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:50 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

I didn't ask the question, you did.

I'm not an expert with this particular subject, but I don't think wider or skinnier tires adversely affects the proper operation of the system. Ir detects traction issues and redirects or reduces torque. If you have a sticker tire or more traction from a wider tire, it will just go further before it gets traction issues and kicks in to control the vehicle.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:01 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by C7pimp
What do you mean?

Those questions
Old 09-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Well actually it will probably be announced in January.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RC000E
They will need the actual car before they proceed or be able to access information from GM. Pratt and Miller, Calloway and Lingenfelter are the only ones privy to this info before production.
Then, depending on their resources and equipment, it will take from 6 months to two years to come up with the molds for all 4 fender. $million in equipment and labour for the first method.
It will require exceptional skills in computer form design and laser profiling techniques to marry the new design to the existing mount hard points, and 5 axis milling machines to produce the molds. The molds become more elaborate if carbon fiber parts are to be made.
If it is done all by hand, just to sculpture the plugs, will take one month for each fender for the artist. These artists are few and far between if you want OEM looking parts. Front and rear bumper will take longer. The molds will take at least one month each depending on volumes required. The higher the volumes the better the materials will be required for the molds.
Then there is splash guards and mount hardware and inner fenders and ducting for brakes radiators etc.
Then there is risk for all the designers and manufactures of these parts. Will your design sell? Even if you copyright your design, someone is going to copy them if they are succesful. All they have to do is to pull a mold off your parts which saves them all the hard work.. They can change them by 20% but who is going to judge what that 20% is?
It is the duty of the Corvette Forum to expose these activities but they don't. Theft is rampant in this industry.

Last edited by Shaka; 09-10-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 wide body ?

Quick Reply: C7 wide body ?