C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Thinking of Selling my 1965 A/C Coupe . . . .

Old 09-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Thinking of Selling my 1965 A/C Coupe . . . .

I've been mulling this over for the last 3-4 years, and I'm strongly considering selling my '65 coupe. I've owned the car for the past 38 years (January 1975 purchase), and the car was born in January, 1965. So, that's most of it's life. It's a 327/300 hp car with factory A/C that cools great, and is mostly original. It still has all of the original glass, including the windshield, original door panels, dash pads, headliner, visors, engine, transmission, differential, gas tank, dual snorkel air cleaner, and numerous other original pieces. I added the factory power steering not long after I bought the car, but still have the original manual setup in storage.

I've never been into judging, but from what little I've seen I think it might judge as a Survivor . . . .
I'm thinking it will probably bring mid $40's, around $45,000 or so. I've included a couple of photos here and am just looking for thoughts and comments before I decide to list the car. I'll still have the '66 and the '04 to drive, the '65 just doesn't get used enough any more to justify in my mind.

Any thoughts, advice, comments, etc.?????? Appreciate your input, always a lot of good information and advice on the forum!

Old 09-09-2013, 01:08 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking you're suffering from temporary insanity. Keep the 65 and drive it more. If anything sell the 04.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:11 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
I've been mulling this over for the last 3-4 years, and I'm strongly considering selling my '65 coupe. I've owned the car for the past 38 years (January 1975 purchase), and the car was born in January, 1965. So, that's most of it's life. It's a 327/300 hp car with factory A/C that cools great, and is mostly original. It still has all of the original glass, including the windshield, original door panels, dash pads, headliner, visors, engine, transmission, differential, gas tank, dual snorkel air cleaner, and numerous other original pieces. I added the factory power steering not long after I bought the car, but still have the original manual setup in storage.

I've never been into judging, but from what little I've seen I think it might judge as a Survivor . . . .
I'm thinking it will probably bring mid $40's, around $45,000 or so. I've included a couple of photos here and am just looking for thoughts and comments before I decide to list the car. I'll still have the '66 and the '04 to drive, the '65 just doesn't get used enough any more to justify in my mind.

Any thoughts, advice, comments, etc.?????? Appreciate your input, always a lot of good information and advice on the forum!

I think that's about right. There is a green one on the for sale forum for 55K but it's has Knock offs, side pipes, it's 327/350HP and paper work.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:21 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Ron,

From what you have posted and pictures, think you have priced her maybe a little low. Appears to be very nice. Certainly pictures of the undercarriage (assuming she's as nice underneath as on top) will help support value. Having this car for a such a long time enables you to provide all the maintenance history (suspension, brakes, paint, interior (if any) work performed.

Good luck with the potential sale!

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:22 PM
mspry
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Color
Old 09-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LoneStarV
I'm thinking you're suffering from temporary insanity. Keep the 65 and drive it more. If anything sell the 04.
I''ve thought that myself, that's one reason it's taken me 3-4 years to get this close to selling!

Old 09-09-2013, 01:35 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice car! Keep it! Get rid of 04' if anything!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Davids02
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A/C with 4-speed

I think your somewhat low......I'd say $52,500.00 is fair and maybe have a little wiggle room. A/C with a 4-speed is not that easy to find in any of the mid-years! Good Luck!!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 6T5RUSH
Ron,

From what you have posted and pictures, think you have priced her maybe a little low. Appears to be very nice. Certainly pictures of the undercarriage (assuming she's as nice underneath as on top) will help support value. Having this car for a such a long time enables you to provide all the maintenance history (suspension, brakes, paint, interior (if any) work performed.

Good luck with the potential sale!

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!
Thanks Jim, appreciate your input and thoughts. It's not a frame off restoration, I had the car repainted 20 or so years ago, inside storage since then. At the time, I also had all four bumpers re-chromed and installed new emblems, door handles, etc. on the exterior. It also had replacement carpet and seat covers installed at that time. The seat covers have since been replaced with leather (doesn't match the vinyl trim tag, but they're what I wanted). The left front fender needs some corrective paint as it is beginning to show some 1/8" or so "blisters" in the paint, difficult to see from a distance of a few feet away, but they're there.

The engine compartment and undercarriage are essentially original, the frame and running gear are very solid, only surface rust, as the car has been garaged 37 of the 38 years I've owned it. It does have one of Tom's correctly dated repro radiators, and I've painted the water pump when it's been replaced. Otherwise, much of the car has been left untouched, one reason I think it may judge favorably as a Survivor. And you're correct, I've got YEARS worth of receipts for parts!!!

Not sure about the first 10 years of its life. I believe the car was sold new at Kizzier Chevrolet in Kearney, Nebraska, as the Kissier emblem was still on the car when I acquired it. I was able to trace the ownership back through 3-4 previous owners, but couldn't go any further. I did find out it was previously owned by a couple of Navy personnel and rode on the deck of the USS Enterprise from Washington state to San Diego when the ship changed home ports "back when".

(I didn't reinstall the emblem as it has some pitting from age . . . .)

It also has the 3:08 Posi differential and with the 300 hp 327 makes for a great highway cruiser.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Davids02
I think your somewhat low......I'd say $52,500.00 is fair and maybe have a little wiggle room. A/C with a 4-speed is not that easy to find in any of the mid-years! Good Luck!!
Thanks David,

I know the A/C cars are definitely in the minority, and as I'm remembering, there were fewer '65 coupes sold than any other coupe in the 63-67 period. Appreciate your thoughts.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:04 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Ron... If you are thinking of selling in the price range of $40-$45K that '65 will sell very fast... very nice car. If it were me in your shoes, I'd be selling the '04.

Good luck in your decision.

Bruce
Old 09-09-2013, 02:24 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

What is it about your '66 that you like better? Convertible?

A 4-speed air coupe is the bees knees. No idea what it might be worth but if I were looking at it I'd be expecting to pay more than mid-40's.

-- Steve
Old 09-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RatDog
What is it about your '66 that you like better? Convertible?

A 4-speed air coupe is the bees knees. No idea what it might be worth but if I were looking at it I'd be expecting to pay more than mid-40's.

-- Steve
The '66 is more of a daily driver, I built it from a wreck and have owned it almost as long as I have the '65. I bought the '66 convertible wrecked in the front, put a replacement block in it along with a replacement one-piece front cap and repainted it to the original Mosport green color. We call it the "wife's car" and I bought it purposely with the Powerglide automatic for her to drive. I've grown to like it, too, in my later years. We both like the top down for the local "about town" cruising that we do these days. With the auto tranny, makes a great parade car, too.

If it gets hit, it can be repaired, replaced, and put back into service with little effect on the value. Not so the 1965 coupe. But, it certainly doesn't ride or drive with the "solidness" that the coupe delivers. On a trip, no contest!!!

Last edited by Ron Miller; 09-09-2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Add Photo
Old 09-09-2013, 02:59 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The '66 is more of a daily driver, I built it from a wreck and have owned it almost as long as I have the '65. I bought the '66 convertible wrecked in the front, put a replacement block in it along with a replacement one-piece front cap and repainted it to the original Mosport green color. We call it the "wife's car" and I bought it purposely with the Powerglide automatic for her to drive. I've grown to like it, too, in my later years. We both like the top down for the local "about town" cruising that we do these days. With the auto tranny, makes a great parade car, too.

If it gets hit, it can be repaired, replaced, and put back into service with little effect on the value. Not so the 1965 coupe. But, it certainly doesn't ride or drive with the "solidness" that the coupe delivers. On a trip, no contest!!!

Ron, both of your cars look very nice. I'm a fan of Mossport. Your reasons for keeping the '66 make perfect sense. It's always nice when your wife can enjoy the car with you. It adds to the enjoyment, in my opinion. My wife can drive a stick (and prefers a stick) but if she didn't, I would have bought a PG so she could drive it .

-- Steve
Old 09-09-2013, 03:38 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I''ve thought that myself, that's one reason it's taken me 3-4 years to get this close to selling!

38 YEARS? What has that beautiful car done to deserve a divorce after so many years?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:53 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I think you should keep it. Not so often to see factory AC cars around
I am sure you will regret it if you sell the car
Old 09-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TheSaint
I think you should keep it. Not so often to see factory AC cars around
I am sure you will regret it if you sell the car
For sure, they're fewer and further between than most. And if what I believe is correct about this one being sold new in Kearney, Nebraska, just makes the history a little more intriguing. Not too many of us bought A/C on our cars in 1965, especially the Corvettes. And even fewer up north where the temperatures are cooler. I talked to a couple of the folks from Kearney who thought the car could have been bought new by Mr. Kizzier for his wife because of the 3:08 positraction and A/C, but Kizzier has been out of business for several years. Midway Chevrolet has taken their place, and the manager there I believe worked previously at Kizzier.

I finally managed to locate Mr. Kizzier (Dick, I believe) down Arizona way where he moved after closing the dealership, and although he was friendly enough and willing to chat, had no memory of this particular car. Bummer!! Still, with a little searching, perhaps a note in the local newspaper, something could turn up. But one would need to move quickly I think. All the older folks from that era get fewer and fewer as the years pass . . . . . . .

Thanks for the comments!

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of Selling my 1965 A/C Coupe . . . .

Old 09-09-2013, 04:49 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

If you do decide to sell it, price it high as it is easy to come down but not to go up.
If you want to see what the buying market will do, why not put it on Ebay with a high reserve?
Personally I would keep it.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:03 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm with you. The roadster is the car to use and enjoy, and you can always add AC that doesn't need R12. All but one shop in my area got rid of the R12 equipment. Catch the market while its flying high.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:31 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by magicv8
I'm with you. The roadster is the car to use and enjoy, and you can always add AC that doesn't need R12. All but one shop in my area got rid of the R12 equipment. Catch the market while its flying high.
Thanks Dave,

Always appreciate your comments and input, especially given all the miles and smiles you put on your car. You've expressed my sentiments pretty closely, glad you didn't quit commenting on the forum!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of Selling my 1965 A/C Coupe . . . .