C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People with bad knees that are thinking about an automatic.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 10:30 AM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default People with bad knees that are thinking about an automatic.

I was viewing the YouTube video posted by Wes Milby and noticed something that swayed me toward the 7 speed. The C-7 has computer controlled rev matching so theoretically after you use the clutch to start out in 1st you should be able to drive without the clutch.

I probably would not try driving a stick if I was still living on Long Island and driving on the LIE where the is a lot of stop and go traffic. But as long as you don't come to a complete stop you should be able to drive without using the clutch with the rev matching.

To me half the fun of owning the Vette is shifting it. In have matched revs by ear and drove to a dealer without a clutch when the hydraulic clutch failed but with the computer matching revs you should be able to drive without touching the clutch as long as you don't drive in ares like NY city, Washing DC or any area with stop and go traffic.

If the only thing that is holding you back is ordering a stick is bad knees maybe you should consider that you can drive the C-7 without using the clutch.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:52 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs
I was viewing the YouTube video posted by Wes Milby and noticed something that swayed me toward the 7 speed. The C-7 has computer controlled rev matching so theoretically after you use the clutch to start out in 1st you should be able to drive without the clutch.

I probably would not try driving a stick if I was still living on Long Island and driving on the LIE where the is a lot of stop and go traffic. But as long as you don't come to a complete stop you should be able to drive without using the clutch with the rev matching.

To me half the fun of owning the Vette is shifting it. In have matched revs by ear and drove to a dealer without a clutch when the hydraulic clutch failed but with the computer matching revs you should be able to drive without touching the clutch as long as you don't drive in ares like NY city, Washing DC or any area with stop and go traffic.

If the only thing that is holding you back is ordering a stick is bad knees maybe you should consider that you can drive the C-7 without using the clutch.
I'm curious where you get the idea that GM says you don't need to use the clutch to shift with Rev Matching?

Last edited by BlueOx; 09-08-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:56 AM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Old 09-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Patriot77
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

To each his own. I live in a city of approx. 750,000 and there is NO way I would ever buy a 7 speed. There's always the knucklehead that pulls up behind you at the stop light on a nasty hill and is sitting 6 inches off your rear bumper. Enough said.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Periokid
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Rev match does not mean no clutch use between gears.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:02 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

With a bad back and a bum left knee, I will be going with an auto this time. No way will I buy a manual this time around.

I may still have my C6 6 spd to row.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Sp00ky
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^What he said. Rev matching is "heel toe" shifting for you basically. You still use the clutch as normal. Looks like your sticking with the automatic. IMO, a manual is more fun but if you have to go auto, you will still have a blast with the car
Old 09-08-2013, 11:05 AM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You still have to use the clutch
Old 09-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Periokid
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by StingrayC7
Old 09-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot77
To each his own. I live in a city of approx. 750,000 and there is NO way I would ever buy a 7 speed. There's always the knucklehead that pulls up behind you at the stop light on a nasty hill and is sitting 6 inches off your rear bumper. Enough said.
I live in a city of 10 million. I've also driven in San Francisco with the steepest public roads in the nation. All my cars have manuals. Like any skill, it just takes a little practice. Not a problem.

Michael
Old 09-08-2013, 11:55 AM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-although I prefer the m7 I truly believe the automatic will be the quicker corvette.

If you have a lot of traffic or have a bad knee...buy the corvette that best suits your needs.

If you buy the manual rev matching m7 plan on using the clutch ..

Automatics can also be tuned for a very direct feel that makes the corvette simply a point and shoot proposition....

Although I prefer manual transmission corvettes all the bravado about the manual being so much better is nonsense.

I look forward to future upcoming reviews of the automatic c7...

If not the A6 which I think will be awesome...the A8 although I tend to think its a 10 percent increase in fuel efficiency if that.

I have a feeling the new A6 c7 will be impressive. Remember it was the CTS V automatic that held the title for fastest lap of the "ring" ( for sports sedans)

Wait for the reviews on a c7 z51 mrc npp A6 before deciding..
Old 09-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Periokid
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by JudgeNjury
-although I prefer the m7 I truly believe the automatic will be the quicker corvette.

If you have a lot of traffic or have a bad knee...buy the corvette that best suits your needs.

If you buy the manual rev matching m7 plan on using the clutch ..

Automatics can also be tuned for a very direct feel that makes the corvette simply a point and shoot proposition....

Although I prefer manual transmission corvettes all the bravado about the manual being so much better is nonsense.

I look forward to future upcoming reviews of the automatic c7...

If not the A6 which I think will be awesome...the A8 although I tend to think its a 10 percent increase in fuel efficiency if that.

I have a feeling the new A6 c7 will be impressive. Remember it was the CTS V automatic that held the title for fastest lap of the "ring" ( for sports sedans)

Wait for the reviews on a c7 z51 mrc npp A6 before deciding..
This link includes a review of automatic C7 and manual.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...th-a-read.html

Nevermind....I saw you already read that thread. My bad.

Last edited by Periokid; 09-08-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:21 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I live in a city of 10 million. I've also driven in San Francisco with the steepest public roads in the nation. All my cars have manuals. Like any skill, it just takes a little practice. Not a problem.

Michael
For the cars too close to my back bumper, I just let my car roll back on their front bumper to hold me then take off like normal...like you said, not a problem.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
For the cars too close to my back bumper, I just let my car roll back on their front bumper to hold me then take off like normal...like you said, not a problem.
And you have a trailer hitch, too, right?

Michael
Old 09-08-2013, 12:34 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

with modern synchros, you don't need rev matching to shift without using a clutch.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:55 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot77
If you knew how to heel/toe that wouldn't present a problem. You can sit 1" off my rear bumper and I don't have an issue.

I heel/toe on the track, but over the years I also have what I call the toe/toe...lol. Under true threshold braking I heel/toe for the highest degree of pedal pressure, but under street conditions I do a toe/toe (as I've coined it), which is just the upper left of my right foot on the brake, with the right side of my right foot on the gas.

On the street, under typical driving conditions, this is how I heel/toe, as a full heel swing isn't necessary. Therefore, being via muscle memory I can quickly jump to either position, when on a hill, I hold the car in position with the brake using the left side of my foot and modulate throttle with the right side, then release the clutch and pull away....no roll back whatsoever...even on the steepest of hills.

Before you make any assumption about it...I can do it in dress shoes, socks, barefoot...in a Corvette, a Honda or a Toyota pickup truck. I don't have huge feet either....11 1/2's.

Become a capable operator...problem solved.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:01 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by RC000E
If you knew how to heel/toe that wouldn't present a problem. You can sit 1" off my rear bumper and I don't have an issue.

I heel/toe on the track, but over the years I also have what I call the toe/toe...lol. Under true threshold braking I heel/toe for the highest degree of pedal pressure, but under street conditions I do a toe/toe (as I've coined it), which is just the upper left of my right foot on the brake, with the right side of my right foot on the gas.

On the street, under typical driving conditions, this is how I heel/toe, as a full heel swing isn't necessary. Therefore, being via muscle memory I can quickly jump to either position, when on a hill, I hold the car in position with the brake using the left side of my foot and modulate throttle with the right side, then release the clutch and pull away....no roll back whatsoever...even on the steepest of hills.

Before you make any assumption about it...I can do it in dress shoes, socks, barefoot...in a Corvette, a Honda or a Toyota pickup truck.
I don't have huge feet either....11 1/2's.
Yeah, but they are size 11.5 EEEEs and can you shift without the clutch all the time?

Get notified of new replies

To People with bad knees that are thinking about an automatic.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:06 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Nope...no wides either...lol.

My friends and I used to battle on who could drive around the most without using the clutch...lol. I remember the first time I was with my uncle in his pickup truck...I was like 12...and saw him shifting without the clutch. I was like...hey...what the heck? He was a truck driver, so did it in his chevy pickup...just to impress me I suppose...

Some cars are a b*tch to do it. I have a Honda CRV daily...I can do it in that....

Can you also downshift though...that's the question!
Old 09-08-2013, 02:21 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I'm curious where you get the idea that GM says you don't need to use the clutch to shift with Rev Matching?
GM never said you could do it but I have done it out of necessity with another car 30 years ago when my hydraulic clutch failed and I also used to do it to just to stay in practice.

I had just finished working a midnight to 8 AM shift and when I tried to put the car into first I discovered the hydraulic clutch had failed. The car was under warrantee and I could have had the dealer send a wrecker 30 plus miles to pick up the car and another 30 miles to bring it back to the dealer. I just wanted to get the car fixed and go to sleep so I started the car in first and was able to shift gears by using my ears and listen to the RPMs. I swear to God that if someone was in the car they probably wouldn't know the gears were being shifted without a clutch. If I was able to shift just by using my ear to match RPMs then it sure as heck should be easy for anyone to shift with a fancy computer matching revs for you.

I did not mean to imply that shifting without the clutch should be done on a regular basis, but in my case I have good and bad days with my knee pain. I would love to be able to drive the car as a 7 speed with the clutch and then have the option of starting out in 1st using the clutch then shifting the rest of the gears with out a clutch.

Way back a few decades ago before synchromesh gears were invented people had to double clutch in order to match revs to the gear you were shifting into. Rev matching with the computers aid is basically doing the same thing people did back in the day when double clutching was a common and necessary process.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:27 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs
GM never said you could do it but I have done it out of necessity with another car 30 years ago when my hydraulic clutch failed and I also used to do it to just to stay in practice.

I had just finished working a midnight to 8 AM shift and when I tried to put the car into first I discovered the hydraulic clutch had failed. The car was under warrantee and I could have had the dealer send a wrecker 30 plus miles to pick up the car and another 30 miles to bring it back to the dealer. I just wanted to get the car fixed and go to sleep so I started the car in first and was able to shift gears by using my ears and listen to the RPMs. I swear to God that if someone was in the car they probably wouldn't know the gears were being shifted without a clutch. If I was able to shift just by using my ear to match RPMs then it sure as heck should be easy for anyone to shift with a fancy computer matching revs for you.

I did not mean to imply that shifting without the clutch should be done on a regular basis, but in my case I have good and bad days with my knee pain. I would love to be able to drive the car as a 7 speed with the clutch and then have the option of starting out in 1st using the clutch then shifting the rest of the gears with out a clutch.

Way back a few decades ago before synchromesh gears were invented people had to double clutch in order to match revs to the gear you were shifting into. Rev matching with the computers aid is basically doing the same thing people did back in the day when double clutching was a common and necessary process.
Then I misread your post.

Quick Reply: People with bad knees that are thinking about an automatic.