Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Trailing Arm Help

Old 08-28-2013, 06:43 PM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Default New Trailing Arm Help

I am putting in new offset trailing arms in my 75. Do I need to have the studs that hold the bearing housing pressed into the arms or can they be drawn in with spacers and a nut like wheel studs are? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Videos tell much better than words since I will be doing this myself one day been looking into it also.

Last edited by MakoJoe; 08-28-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:48 PM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the videos, they are very informative. Unfortunately they don't deal with my issue. On the new trailing arm the four studs are not installed and I need to know if it is safe to pull them thru with a nut like you would a wheel stud or if they have to be pressed in in a press.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:17 AM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Most of the time you can tap them in with a plastic mallet to take hold then use a socket to pull them in the rest of the way. OK I understand what your asking. I used to have to replace studs all the time on an axle when I did tires for a living and did them on the car. Best way is pull it and use a press but it can be done on the car with a plastic mallet and get it in far enough so you can use a wrench to pull it the rest of the way in. It needs to get a bite first or you will just spin in it before it takes hold. 1/8 to 1/4 inch is when you can turn the wrench otherwise it will strip and not take hold. Try and line up the new splines before hand after you pounded out the old studs. Feel for it you will feel it click into place than pound the new studs in place. After they stick in the same pattern as the old ones use a socket to pull them the rest of the way in.

Last edited by MakoJoe; 08-29-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:32 PM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Thanks
Old 08-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Kevin68
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I wouldn't use the nut to pull them in. When you are not all the way in and you are torquing them you run the risk of stripping the splines. Set the control arm up in a vice and tap them in with a ball peen hammer and get the heads properly seated on the control arm. You will be able to tell easily if it is all the way seated by the sound of the hammer. If remember correctly, it only took 4 or 5 firm hits after you get it started to make sure its going in straight.

I'll add that you want to make sure the splines are lined up before you start with the hammer
Old 08-29-2013, 09:19 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Yea you can pull them in with a wrench or socket after they are seated into the spines. You will need to torque them down with a torque wrench at about 85 FT of torque. The hammer does not finish the job Once I got them seated I used to use an air Impact Tool at a very low setting to seat them. Than use a Torque Wrench on the Steel Wheels at 85 FT of torque. Hope it all works out well

Get notified of new replies

To New Trailing Arm Help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Trailing Arm Help