C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

LSV Broke!

Old 08-25-2013, 05:08 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default LSV Broke!

been an absolutely beautiful Carlisle but on the way back to Harrisburg last night the LSV developed a serious problem

sounds like a blown head gasket or very serious exh leak. car feels like it's running on 6 cyl but making a noise I've never hear from the LT5 almost sounds like a hole in one of the pistons

hoping it's not too serious or the car will have to sit for a while

I'm going to try and tow the car back from carlilse and bum a ride a bit later

the motor seems to be holding oil pressure and I don't notice any obvious holes in the block.

ARRRRRGGGGG just got through bragging how reliable the car has been

guess I should have knocked on my wooden head

I'll keep everyone posted, serious bummed, suffering from ZR-1 withdrawal already!!!
Old 08-25-2013, 07:46 AM
secondchance
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
been an absolutely beautiful Carlisle but on the way back to Harrisburg last night the LSV developed a serious problem

sounds like a blown head gasket or very serious exh leak. car feels like it's running on 6 cyl but making a noise I've never hear from the LT5 almost sounds like a hole in one of the pistons

hoping it's not too serious or the car will have to sit for a while

I'm going to try and tow the car back from carlilse and bum a ride a bit later

the motor seems to be holding oil pressure and I don't notice any obvious holes in the block.

ARRRRRGGGGG just got through bragging how reliable the car has been

guess I should have knocked on my wooden head

I'll keep everyone posted, serious bummed, suffering from ZR-1 withdrawal already!!!
Really sorry to hear this Ron! Hope nothing serious...
Old 08-25-2013, 01:27 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Any updates ?
Old 08-25-2013, 02:01 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

What about a header failing or a header gasket? I had a weird problem back in the day with my 87 tip it had a blockage of the cat, and it was odd the way it ran. But if I recall you have cats because your in va.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:50 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

Ron mentioned "spark plug" blew out of I believe #8. He and Phil W were on the way to Harrisburg or where ever to check it out more closely when I saw them at Carlisle this AM. I'd guess it was likely 12:30 when they left Carlisle.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-25-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:49 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

yup, simple fix. a spark plug losened up and blew out (#8 naturally)

just had to chase the threads to scrape off the carbon, new plug

good as new! made a hell of a noise and ran like crap on 6 cyl

quite a scare as I thought I had a blown hg at first!

no worries. carlisle was killer this year

weather in the low 80s, fantastic cars. not too many vendors though

I didn't miss walking the "junk" isles anyway

Phil W. saved the day and helped me scroung parts, provided his tools, expertise, and delayed his trip home to get me back on the road. we took off the ac cover to get a straighter shot for chasing the threads. that lower screw is just that! but phil rigged up 14 u joints and 17 extensions and managed to support the contraption with a long hemostate (courtesy of carlilse tool vendor) and my help. highly recommend a little electric rachet. that bottom screw is a killer but it made getting to #8 much easier and the chaser tap worked like a champ to clear the carbon. who knows how long this plug has been backing out. I last changed plugs a year ago. the ngk iridiums last forever it seems.

I owe him a TON. a side benefit to this malady (other than a sleepless night and HUGE heart attack at the prospect of an epic repair bill) was an extended ride in Phil's new stroker. car is amazing. LSV power with totally civilized manners, rides fantastic, and of course the car is immaculate. he has a cool Panasonic nav & touch screen but we were enjoying the LT5 WOT and talking about carlisle too much to pay attention so we frequently missed exits. roads and weather were perfect, and the car is just spectacular, and Phil is a really talented and interesting engineer.

Phil, thanks again SO much for the rescue. the LSV ran like a top and I too took "the long way home" with the top off and was treated to a gift from god sunset coming back.

a lengthy soak in the hot tub, and some affection from my little honey finally brought some much needed sleep.

as Lance says. Life is good. it's just that much better with a stroker LT5!

carlisle was the best ever. my room number at the Windgate was 427

I think karma is trying to "sell me something"

Last edited by Rkreigh; 08-26-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:22 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Excellent news, Ron!! I thought our conversation at dinner (durability of the LT5) had cursed you. Glad it was just the plug!

Brett!
Old 08-26-2013, 08:40 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

Ron - that's certainly good to hear! Dr. Phil fixed you right up!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:34 AM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Great to hear Ron, as always good seeing you and talking potential Z engine upgrades. I agree Carlisle was great time
Old 08-26-2013, 11:12 AM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

Yep I can imagine the pucker factor that noise would have caused!
Old 08-26-2013, 11:41 AM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Great new's Ron

Yes that guy Phil is a real help ! Know's his way around a Z quite well.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:03 PM
secondchance
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Fantastic! If you are gonna have Z trouble Carlisle is not a bad place for it - thanks to Marc and Phil.
I had an identical issue, namely, #8 backing out. I think one reason is that #8 being typically torqued w/ U joint and multiple extensions at an odd angle, most of us feel leary torqing it down. Combine that w/ anti-cease and vibration loosens the plug.
Happy to hear of a happy ending and riding into the sunset only to return w/ 427?! - you are definately itching for it, arn't you?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by secondchance
Fantastic! If you are gonna have Z trouble Carlisle is not a bad place for it - thanks to Marc and Phil.
I had an identical issue, namely, #8 backing out. I think one reason is that #8 being typically torqued w/ U joint and multiple extensions at an odd angle, most of us feel leary torqing it down. Combine that w/ anti-cease and vibration loosens the plug.
Happy to hear of a happy ending and riding into the sunset only to return w/ 427?! - you are definately itching for it, arn't you?
I'd like to get to 550 at the tire and I believe a 427 will be needed to do it without going to a bigger cam

but, for now, itching for it doesn't raise the needed dead presidents aka Jack, fold, dinero. the ultimate aphro - C@$H

looking hopefully at some biz opportunities that will help me stop dreaming and start more projects.

for now, next on the plate is implementing the Haltech ECM on the turbo car. that's coming this fall so I can get my feet wet with tuning and prepare for more agressive ZR-1 builds

the LSV has some catching up to do!

thanks everyone, my blood pressure and heart rate are now back to normal. LSV withdrawl is worse than any drug addiction. even the other steeds in the stable don't cure it.

thanks everyone for all the help, encouragement, and best wishes

the LSV is healthy again, just need to put the AC panel back on it.

I'm going to think for a while how to make this easier. I believe I'll use some light adhesive silicone at the bottom instead of the screw so I can take the panel off again without messing with that screw

getting it out was a BIG job and a PITA. for sure I never would have gotten to it without Phil and was getting ready to bust the panel off in frustration.

phil is not only a super sharp engineer, he's a patient and kind soul.

I'm proud and privileged to have you all as brothers of the beast

we "stick together" like no other corvette owners which is truly what makes the ZR-1 ownership so special.

car is great, but the people are greater!!

to the tune of "pop pop fizz fizz"

pop clutch, tires spin, oh what a relief it is!!!!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:38 AM
lgnd lvs
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear all is well Ron!
Old 08-28-2013, 12:27 AM
cvette98pacecar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron, It was a pleasure to meet you and I am glad to hear the LSV is doing well.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:50 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

going to get back to work on the car this weekend and put the AC panel back. I'll take a look at options to secure it on the lower part without putting the screw back and see how hard it is to access from underneath.

I also busted off a tang on the weather pack connector for the ac, but since it's "straight down" I'm not going to worry about it

it was great seeing everyone in carlisle, the ZR-1 is headed back for its normal romp to katie's tomorrow

Hey Phil! I have your piston stop. I found it last night and I'll bring it by the house or see you at Katie's

thanks again for all the help! let me know when you'd like to go out to lunch or dinner.

congrats on your fantastic 402 build soon it will be fall and time to tune up and dyno that beast. lets talk.

cya.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:48 AM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

I say...... just freshen the 390 short block if you must. The goal of 550 (or darn close) to the rear can be done with the right porting and some cam work.
Heck , 550 is just a number. An engine or chassis dyno is a tuning tool. The dynomometer can "adjusted" to give you any number.Keep your eye on the top number at the strip. That's your real HP.

Get notified of new replies

To LSV Broke!

Old 08-30-2013, 10:27 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FU
I say...... just freshen the 390 short block if you must. The goal of 550 (or darn close) to the rear can be done with the right porting and some cam work.
Heck , 550 is just a number. An engine or chassis dyno is a tuning tool. The dynomometer can "adjusted" to give you any number.Keep your eye on the top number at the strip. That's your real HP.

you're right frank, I should say I want to pull 134 in the quarter

love to get the car into the 10s which is pretty tough. I have enough power, but not enough traction and driving skill

fastest the car has run is 11.42 with Phil D. driving it.

I pulled 129 at BG which tells me the RWHP is there and legit

I want to run the car this fall out at MIR. it has some mineshaft air and is one of the best tracks in the country.

probably need a good dual disk clutch and some good suspension tuning to get there. I have some hoosiers, but they are a couple of years old now. I need to just use them up and get some fresh rubber.

I haven't had the LSV out at the track for fear of tearing something up, but honestly, I drive it just as hard on the street and putting down the power is much easier on the hoosiers

need to "use them up" before they get old. I totally agree about what you say with dynos.

fun fact, the car pulled 534 "uncorrected" on a 50 deg cool fall day at the springfield motorsport dyno. there ain't no "correction factor" on the street. a nice cool day makes a huge difference with the LT5 just like it does with pro stock cars.

time to head up to maple grove this fall and see the top fuelers

they usually set some records up there when the weather is good.

anyone interested in a vette run to the grove??? need to drop off my C5 TT car at East Coast Supercharging in Cream Ridge NJ. I'll buy tickets and dinner for anyone that can follow me up there from Nova

the Turbo car needs the Haltech installed!! gonna be a fun winter learning how to tune. next stop, LT5 tuning after I learn more.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:06 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Ron,

True about the uncorrected. At my last tuning session, car dyno'd
453/402 SAE. However, when I look at uncorrected it was 463/412.
Had I taken the car to the track, that's what it would have run as.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:52 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Ron,

True about the uncorrected. At my last tuning session, car dyno'd
453/402 SAE. However, when I look at uncorrected it was 463/412.
Had I taken the car to the track, that's what it would have run as.
I was pretty amazed to see a 20 hp bump at the wheels with the cool air

car pulled 505 on this same dyno earlier in the year. but it's consistent with the butt dyno and acceleration with cool dense air

hopefully I can repeat the experience and pull 130 in the quarter with some really good air! that would be impressive

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LSV Broke!