C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't let them add Stop/Start to future Corvettes!

Old 08-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Default Don't let them add Stop/Start to future Corvettes!

Stop/Start is one of the most annoying and stupid technologies ever invented. Now it seems they might be investigating using it on future Corvettes?!

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/21/c...-to-save-fuel/

Please, NO!
Old 08-22-2013, 12:11 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

If it can be disabled because it's integrated into eco mode, then why not?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as its operation is nearly imperceptible, sounds like a good thing actually.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:17 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

They might incorporate starterless technology into the use of start/stop also. It is one of the things made possible with direct injection.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Process Black
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the car guys I know absolutely hate it. Most of them are BMW owners. After the start up button, the start/stop deactivation button is the first thing they press.

After riding around in one of them for a while I can understand the frustration. Unless you've got a super quiet exhaust, the only thing you'll notice is the sensation of the car stalling. If you've got a performance/loud exhaust it gets really annoying at each start up.

Plus theres's the added mass of the system.

The C7 is incredibly fuel efficient already, way more than the 29MPG advertised thanks to Eco Mode. It's just a shame GM can't advertise the Eco Mode numbers due to EPA guidelines.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Stangar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the future, with the stop/start technology, they could install speakers underneath the car that would loudly project the recording of a Formula 1 car revving and hitting the rev limiter on the starting grid at Monaco. I'm working on installing that on my Prius right now.

Hey, this is just as stupid as having it sit quietly with the engine off.

C'mon it's a Corvette! Let's hear that V8, not the silence of my Prius (at least for now).
Old 08-22-2013, 12:40 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

I drove a bmw 5 series with it the other day and it was very annoying for and otherwise fine car...high tech and twin turbos and the engine clunks to a stop like it just broke at every stoplight.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It's not Chevy that's asking for this. It's the government fuel standard requirements that are raising the bar. High performance cars have to make sacrifices, and this is one to make a difference.

Do you really think an engineer at Chevy thinks this is a good idea?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Stangar
For the future, with the stop/start technology, they could install speakers underneath the car that would loudly project the recording of a Formula 1 car revving and hitting the rev limiter on the starting grid at Monaco.
Something similar could be used inside too. When you roll to a stop, a normal LT1 idle sound could be subtly piped in through the existing speakers. With the active noise cancellation already built in to the sound system, it could diminish the sound of the engine starting back up.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:02 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

I had a BMW loaner car with it. Truly annoying. So, you are waiting to pull out in to heavy traffic. You floor it, and it has to start before you go - very dangerous. There are many times when you need to go now, but it hesitates. Did I mention that it's annoying? Maybe you can turn it off, but you have to remember every time you start the car.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C6BOB
I had a BMW loaner car with it. Truly annoying. So, you are waiting to pull out in to heavy traffic. You floor it, and it has to start before you go - very dangerous. There are many times when you need to go now, but it hesitates. Did I mention that it's annoying? Maybe you can turn it off, but you have to remember every time you start the car.
Not every time. It can be programmed in the BMW to remember "last settings." Or the dealer can set it to full off at the next service, no charge.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Zee51Vert
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Process Black
All the car guys I know absolutely hate it. Most of them are BMW owners. After the start up button, the start/stop deactivation button is the first thing they press.

After riding around in one of them for a while I can understand the frustration. Unless you've got a super quiet exhaust, the only thing you'll notice is the sensation of the car stalling. If you've got a performance/loud exhaust it gets really annoying at each start up.

Plus theres's the added mass of the system.

The C7 is incredibly fuel efficient already, way more than the 29MPG advertised thanks to Eco Mode. It's just a shame GM can't advertise the Eco Mode numbers due to EPA guidelines.

Thats the first thing I do when I use my wife's 2013 MB. Press the button to deactivate it
Old 08-22-2013, 01:33 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

This start/stop makes about as much sense as the warning that I have to reply ok to on start up on my nav screen on my c6's today. Needless and useless.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:35 PM
stubone
Instructor

Couldn't they do a cylinder deactivation at stops ?? Maybe down to one cylinder. We have an escalade that rarely goes into the cylinder deactivation mode of 4 cylinder. You would think at a stop it would but it doesn't.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the dumbest idea for a corvette. Why doesn't Chevy have any say on the matter? In the real world it does nothing.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:54 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,419 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
It's not Chevy that's asking for this. It's the government fuel standard requirements that are raising the bar. High performance cars have to make sacrifices, and this is one to make a difference.

Do you really think an engineer at Chevy thinks this is a good idea?

It'll be a shame if they have to put this on the Corvette. But I'm certain its not their idea. The escalating CAFE requirements get very strict very soon.

We may all be living and enjoying the last few years of great performance (at least all-engine, non-hybrid performance). We'll look back on this time down the road and realize just how good we have it now.

Let's enjoy our non-hybrid V8 Corvettes. May not be long until they're gone.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint

It'll be a shame if they have to put this on the Corvette. But I'm certain its not their idea. The escalating CAFE requirements get very strict very soon.

We may all be living and enjoying the last few years of great performance (at least all-engine, non-hybrid performance). We'll look back on this time down the road and realize just how good we have it now.

Let's enjoy our non-hybrid V8 Corvettes. May not be long until they're gone.
Like we have CAFE requirements why don't we have performance requirements?

Get notified of new replies

To Don't let them add Stop/Start to future Corvettes!

Old 08-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Anyone who is thinking stop/start is a good idea and has never experienced it, you may want to think twice about giving it passive approval.

Even if you think "Hey, that's OK, I can always turn it off", think again. Most cars utilizing stop/start will always start with it enabled, meaning you have to turn it off every time you start the car. And you WILL want to turn it off.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:01 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,419 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
Like we have CAFE requirements why don't we have performance requirements?

The regulators didn't include a "carve-out" or exception for performance cars.

And unless it gets changed, the ramp up on the CAFE requirements are fairly drastic. I wouldn't be at all surprised, assuming that the regulatory structure exists then as it does now, if the C8 is a V6 hybrid electric drive.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:03 PM
hklvette
Racer

I like the idea of optional start-stop. I'd have made use of it this morning when the interstate was averaging 3mph. Actually, I did while coasting down a hill, then bump-started at the bottom. Have it only enabled in eco mode and disabled the rest of the time. I don't know how other makes do it, but the Malibu had it and used a combined alternator/ starter to do the job. Seems like that would be lighter than having two separate pieces.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Don't let them add Stop/Start to future Corvettes!