C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power steering help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 07:34 PM
czarredd
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Power steering help!

Just got car on the road after a few years of sitting.....turns hard the right...turns hard to the left and then feels like it breaks then easy.....could this be master cylinder, power steering pump or rack and pinion.....or all of the above? Thx!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 07:58 PM
ladystoy69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by czarredd
Just got car on the road after a few years of sitting.....turns hard the right...turns hard to the left and then feels like it breaks then easy.....could this be master cylinder, power steering pump or rack and pinion.....or all of the above? Thx!!!
could be alot of things..belt slippage, air in system etc most of which will also make noise but most likely and common cause is the rack, they get that way on cars alot. replacment would probably fix it but want the easy route? i sware by this stuff "Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak" when running a shop it worked on almost all with that issue and saved costs of replacment.
Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak
It is 100% GUARANTEED to stop seal leaks in power steering units or your money back. Totally corrects rack and pinion problems. It is also totally effective in reducing slack, squeals and hard spots in worn rack and pinions. Your results will be immediate and long

Last edited by ladystoy69; 08-05-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:21 PM
czarredd
Racer

Originally Posted by ladystoy69
could be alot of things..belt slippage, air in system etc most of which will also make noise but most likely and common cause is the rack, they get that way on cars alot. replacment would probably fix it but want the easy route? i sware by this stuff "Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak" when running a shop it worked on almost all with that issue and saved costs of replacment.
Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak
It is 100% GUARANTEED to stop seal leaks in power steering units or your money back. Totally corrects rack and pinion problems. It is also totally effective in reducing slack, squeals and hard spots in worn rack and pinions. Your results will be immediate and long
Thx!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:35 PM
ladystoy69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no problem and i should also note that you wont need even close to the whole bottle in there, start with a 1/4 bottle and run or drive it turning wheel alot from lock to lock to work it in . if problems still there add more but i have rairly seen needing even as much as 1/2 a bottle.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:43 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Some additional info for you. Raise the front of car so front wheels are off the ground. Turn key to on position so can turn steering wheel. Turn wheel all the way to the left. Use a turkey baster and remove all of the fluid from the power steering reservoir. Now refill with the Lucas Power Steering Fluid/Conditioner, this stuff is very good. Just fill to full cold line. Now turn the steering wheel full right and full left around 20 times or so. Make sure fluid level stays at the full cold line. Start the car and replace the cap on the reservoir and let run for a couple more minutes. Now lower car and drive and see how it does. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:12 PM
czarredd
Racer

Originally Posted by l98tpi
Some additional info for you. Raise the front of car so front wheels are off the ground. Turn key to on position so can turn steering wheel. Turn wheel all the way to the left. Use a turkey baster and remove all of the fluid from the power steering reservoir. Now refill with the Lucas Power Steering Fluid/Conditioner, this stuff is very good. Just fill to full cold line. Now turn the steering wheel full right and full left around 20 times or so. Make sure fluid level stays at the full cold line. Start the car and replace the cap on the reservoir and let run for a couple more minutes. Now lower car and drive and see how it does. Good luck.
Will be trying first thing in the morning!!! Thx!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:14 PM
fatboywilly
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same problem, in 2 different Vette's. I used in both and it took care of the problem. Stuff is awesome. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:56 PM
mxw128
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboywilly
I had the same problem, in 2 different Vette's. I used in both and it took care of the problem. Stuff is awesome. Good luck.

Helped with "morning sickness" in my last 96.

Why not swap all your power steering fluid while you're at it? You can do it the same way, empty the reservoir, refill it with fresh fluid, run it a bit and exercise the rack, stop, empty the reservoir and repeat. Keep,going until the fluid comes out clear. I used regular fluid for most of it then did the last two with Lucas. I used the harbor freight vacuum brake bleeder to suck the fluid out of the reservoir... Faster and cleaner than the turkey baster ... Just a thought

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering help!

Quick Reply: Power steering help!