C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right (Passenger) seat motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 02:50 AM
MCharlie
Ham Radio - W7RKN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Right (Passenger) seat motor

2006 C6 Base.

Battery suddenly started dying after sitting 24-48 hours. Battery is new. (AC Delco, installed 3 months ago!)

Took battery out, did a full charge, then load tested it..60 amps for 15 seconds with my trusty old Sun VAT-40. Surface reading was 12.9 volts before load, after load test, 12.3 volts. Definitely not a battery problem. Re-installed in vehicle, found a full 6 volt 2.5 amp draw.

Then, I heard a steady click from within the car, every 5 seconds or so....on the Passenger side...got down to listen and found a plastic bag on the right seat motor, melting. WHOA...not right, the clicking came from there as well. I immediately unplugged the seat and no more clicking and no more battery draw.

This morning, I plugged the seat back in...no clicking this time, but the motor immediately got hot....seat still worked fine...forward and back, up and down, and tilt. Unplugged it again. The little red seat belt indicator in the instrument cluster, is driving me nuts, so I have got to get this fixed, soonestkind!

So....Bad motor? One of the switches bad? Is there a relay in there that controls the seat function?

If the consensus is motor, are there any cross reference part numbers with any other GM cars?

MC
Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Hey MCharlie,

I can get you the part number for the seat motor if you would like. Send me your VIN in a PM and indicate the part numbers you need. I should have an answer by tomorrow. Thanks,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I think you need to do more diagnosing to be sure. The motor can't get current without it passing through the switch, right? I'm trying to visualize it, but I think you should start at the switch. But look for any obvious problems under the seat and around the motor, like frayed wires shorting against the frame which are somewhat common, especially if the seat is moved often.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:22 AM
MCharlie
Ham Radio - W7RKN
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RicK T
I think you need to do more diagnosing to be sure. The motor can't get current without it passing through the switch, right? I'm trying to visualize it, but I think you should start at the switch. But look for any obvious problems under the seat and around the motor, like frayed wires shorting against the frame which are somewhat common, especially if the seat is moved often.
I have to get my wiring diagrams out for the car...I need to see if the motor is ground activated or positive activated. I *assume* the switch is ok...it works just fine.

As for the seat use..it rarely gets used. I don't really care about adjusting the seat, but I don't like the wiring harness unplugged because the right, seat occupied, air bag sensor is inop.

Anything else someone might think of, that I need to check, PLEASE, let me know. (I am not afraid to tear into the wiring...I worked as a mechanic for 30 years..all at dealerships, never at an independent. Even put in 3 years at Hallman Chevrolet, from 1979 to 1982...working exclusively on Corvettes'!) (Remember how those damned T-Tops would leak?!!)

Anywho......looking forward to any and all suggestions...Thanks in advance!

BTW, Kelly, I will get the VIN and year to you if I determine a motor is what I will need. (I don't think it is, but will find out!!)

MC
Old 08-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Check the power seat switch on the side of the seat to make sure it isn't sticking in the forward or backward position. They can get hung up on the bezel if bumped hard enough by somebody. I installed a power passenger seat in my 08Z and when I hooked up the harness the seat motor started running. A quick look at the switch showed it was stuck in the reverse position while the seat was all the way back. Once I reseated the bezel so the switch button cleared it the problem went away.

May not be your issue but worth taking some time to open the door and checking the switch.

Bill
Old 05-25-2017, 10:55 PM
bikeguy99
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Seat Motor

Originally Posted by MCharlie
2006 C6 Base.

Battery suddenly started dying after sitting 24-48 hours. Battery is new. (AC Delco, installed 3 months ago!)

Took battery out, did a full charge, then load tested it..60 amps for 15 seconds with my trusty old Sun VAT-40. Surface reading was 12.9 volts before load, after load test, 12.3 volts. Definitely not a battery problem. Re-installed in vehicle, found a full 6 volt 2.5 amp draw.

Then, I heard a steady click from within the car, every 5 seconds or so....on the Passenger side...got down to listen and found a plastic bag on the right seat motor, melting. WHOA...not right, the clicking came from there as well. I immediately unplugged the seat and no more clicking and no more battery draw.

This morning, I plugged the seat back in...no clicking this time, but the motor immediately got hot....seat still worked fine...forward and back, up and down, and tilt. Unplugged it again. The little red seat belt indicator in the instrument cluster, is driving me nuts, so I have got to get this fixed, soonestkind!

So....Bad motor? One of the switches bad? Is there a relay in there that controls the seat function?

If the consensus is motor, are there any cross reference part numbers with any other GM cars?

MC
I have the same issue. Did you ever find the problem. The motor that raises and lowers the front of the seat was clicking every 3-5 seconds and as hot as a pistol. I was thinking the relay was bad, but after removal it looked good(no blackened or melted parts) Any ideas would be helpful as how to test these units.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:24 AM
MCharlie
Ham Radio - W7RKN
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bikeguy99
I have the same issue. Did you ever find the problem. The motor that raises and lowers the front of the seat was clicking every 3-5 seconds and as hot as a pistol. I was thinking the relay was bad, but after removal it looked good(no blackened or melted parts) Any ideas would be helpful as how to test these units.
Never found the cause. I pulled the seat out. Checked all the wiring and plugs. Checked the seat switches..all good electrically. No signs of heat.

Cleaned the seat rails and lubricated them.

Reassembled and reinstalled everything.

Seat then worked fine. Motor did not get hot. No more dead battery. And that was almost 4 years ago.

I found absolutely nothing. Not even a 'maybe'! In my over 40 years as a wrench, I have run into issues I never could finger out. This was one of them, but....I am not complaining!

oh, I don't remember right off hand, but I *think* the seat switches control the ground input to the motors. The current draw would be too high for B+. Or...(and again, I don't remember ) the switches control a low voltage activation B+ to a seat relay that DOES handle the high current draw.

Sorry. Would love to have had an answer for you. You might try what I did. pull the seat and carefully check all the components (motors, switches, wiring, slide rails [Don't forget to lube them while they are out of the vehicle], etc.) out side of the vehicle.

MC

Get notified of new replies

To Right (Passenger) seat motor

Quick Reply: Right (Passenger) seat motor