C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This gonna sound REALLY dumb, but...

Old 07-31-2013, 11:18 AM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default This gonna sound REALLY dumb, but...

...how the H-E-L-L do I keep the wheels of my '13 GS from getting dirty again immediately after I've washed the car? As soon as I move the car post wash-n-dry cycle, the wheels end up with what appears to be dirt residue composed of rust and brake dust, which presumably comes out of the rotor slots. This seems to happen primarily to the fronts (bigger rotors?) and no matter how fastidious I am about the wash procedure and how carefully I try to dry the wheels post-wash, I end up re-detailing the wheels after I move the car or drive it. I've even tried using my gas leaf blower to remove the excess water from the wheel area before I drive and still end up with major spooge on the wheel barrel.

Now I know this makes me sound like a lazy bastard, not wanting to have to redo what I just did....I guess the main question I SHOULD be asking is whether this is normal, or do I have an issue with my front rotors that might cause problems later in life? Help me, Obi-Wan.

Last edited by icntdrv55; 07-31-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:27 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

The stock brake pads will dust the wheels quickly. There is no getting around it short of replacing the pads with an after market. Hawk is a good pad and very little dust.
I would think that simply moving the car a little such as in the drive to the garage after you wash it would not cause enough dust from the brakes to show on the wheels. A good hard stream of water on the wheels and rotors during the wash should remove the loose dust in the rotor holes.. I always use my electric leaf blower to dry the wheels and I always make sure I direct the air into the drilled rotors, not about the dust, but try and get as much water out of them so I don't have a lot of rusty drip marks on the barrels of the wheels.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:31 AM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
The stock brake pads will dust the wheels quickly. There is no getting around it short of replacing the pads with an after market.
I understand that brake dust accumulates quickly. Not what I was whining about.

Originally Posted by BWF07
...a lot of rusty drip marks on the barrels of the wheels.
This is exactly what I was referring to. So it sounds like this a normal after-wash condition?
Old 07-31-2013, 11:33 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

After washing the wheels I use my leaf blower to dry them. I have no drips at all, try doing a better drying job. I also wipe my car and wheels down every time I drive it so brake dust in not a problem for me.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:37 AM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a leaf blower and there are no more dripps.
for the dust problem about the best you can do with stock pads is armorall wheel protectant treatment after washing.

Keep them buckets and hoses handy!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:45 AM
RekaRoyal
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Armor All Wheel Protectant and the wheels stay clean for a couple of weeks.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:54 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default Ceramic brake pads is the only way to cut down on the dust.

Brake dust got old real fast. I'm to "lazy" to wipe my wheels every time I drive. So I installed ceramic brake pads just months after I bought the car; now the wheels only get wiped after a car wash.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:58 AM
andy82
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Sounds really dumb but just don't brake

Old 07-31-2013, 12:29 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RekaRoyal
I use Armor All Wheel Protectant and the wheels stay clean for a couple of weeks.

I use this ^^ with every wash & between washes. It really has helped with keeping brake dust and road oil off my chrome wheels.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:32 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

I never wash my car, I only "dry" wash it b/c it NEVER sees the rain. As for the wheels, I keep the outsides clean and every once in a while I'll clean the barrels wither on a lift of if I'm real bored I'll take them off.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:39 PM
SkyTopp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by truth.b

I use this ^^ with every wash & between washes. It really has helped with keeping brake dust and road oil off my chrome wheels.
Hmmm never saw that product before.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:43 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by RekaRoyal
This helps.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:44 PM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Ceramic brakes pads have reduced brake dust on our 2 C6's by about 90%.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:11 PM
rgamache
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
After washing the wheels I use my leaf blower to dry them. I have no drips at all, try doing a better drying job. I also wipe my car and wheels down every time I drive it so brake dust in not a problem for me.
Here are wheel cleaning steps that pretty much address the rusty drip (which come from the rotors) and the dust.

After washing the body, wash thoroughly in the wheel openings with pressure washer. Blow dry with shop vac. Spray Maguiar's chrome wheel cleaner on the wheels. Let work for 1 minute. Wash off with pressure washer and dry chrome with microfiber cloth. No dust no rust. Will see light dust coating after 3 days of so of driving....so this gets done every week.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Havnfun
Instructor

Don't drive your car. Just turn it into a garage queen and you never have to even wash it. I Rejex the rims to help out on the buildup of dust. After a few weeks of daily driving just rinse with a hose and wipe down.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:32 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

What about you guys that have glossy black wheels? Is your life hell???
Old 07-31-2013, 02:27 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

High performance brake pads do shed a lot of dust. My Mercedes did the same thing. I now use REJEX after washing and cleaning the wheels. The dust doesn't seem to stick to the chrome wheels as much, and the wheels clean-up much easier. Hardest part is finding somewhere selling REJEX.

Last edited by florida john; 07-31-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To This gonna sound REALLY dumb, but...

Old 07-31-2013, 03:01 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

I know what your talking about too, it stains the barrels with a rust colored something. I think the rust might come from the rotors rusting up during washing and dropping on the wet barrels when you start to drive. I usually wash my car before I put it away for the night, then just back it up into the garage. By the next morning everything is dry and the rust that comes off the rotors just blows away while I'm driving.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:19 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Grand Sport Man
Brake dust got old real fast. I'm to "lazy" to wipe my wheels every time I drive. So I installed ceramic brake pads just months after I bought the car; now the wheels only get wiped after a car wash.
What brand ceramic pads did you install? I read in a previous post that o'reilly sells ceramics made by Bear for wide body's.. GS / Z06 / 427
Old 07-31-2013, 03:47 PM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 9157
What brand ceramic pads did you install? I read in a previous post that o'reilly sells ceramics made by Bear for wide body's.. GS / Z06 / 427
I did AC Delco on mine and Hawks on wife's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: This gonna sound REALLY dumb, but...