C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tranny fluid for a Z06 t56

Old 07-30-2013, 01:44 PM
MIAmotorsports
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tranny fluid for a Z06 t56

What do you guys recommend. I am going to change all the fluids in my Z06. Not sure when the previous owner did this so I am going to do it and play it safe.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:57 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I switched mine to Amsoil. Same for rearend. Ordered from Subdriver so I got it from one place at a good deal delivered to my door. Good luck with it.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:04 PM
MIAmotorsports
Instructor

Which weight did you get or is there only one type
Old 07-30-2013, 02:12 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey Johnny,
Good to hear from you again. The Severe Gear 75w90 comes with friction modifier already in it and extra is not needed for the C5Z. If you get a C6 someday, I'd recommend more modifier but I run that same fluid without extra additive and don't get diff chatter.

My cost for a gal of the Torque Drive ATF (product ATD1G) and 2 qts of the Severe Gear 75w90 (product SVGQT)

This is what Subdriver recommended for my '02Z that is a dd and a track car. Note that no friction modifier is needed for rearend. If you are changing your power steering fluid also, get an extra qt of the ATF and that along with the pint left over from tranny should be enough for power steering if using the Ranger method. Good luck with it.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 PM
DooDooBear1999
Pro

Originally Posted by Paul 75 L82

Works great.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:46 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I also run the above amsoil fluids in my trans/diff and both have worked great... now that you mention it I am probably due to replace those fluids in my car as well... they only have about 6k miles on them but its been about 2 years since I last changed them, I don't drive it much
Old 07-30-2013, 06:43 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

eh, i wouldn't use PAO oil. has a shrinking effect on seals and costs just as much as a quality ester oil like redline
Old 07-30-2013, 08:13 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
eh, i wouldn't use PAO oil. has a shrinking effect on seals and costs just as much as a quality ester oil like redline
Those that still use a primary PAO basestock, modify them slightly by blending in Group V polyol esters. The polyol esters have two beneficial impacts; they counter-act the shrinking and swelling of the two different fluids resulting in a fluid which very slightly swells the seals, and they lower the coefficient of friction. AMSOIL has been blending their tranny, gear lube and top tier oils this way for a long time now and their fluids do not cause leaks. I've been using it in all my vehicles since 2004 - no leaks.

This is a quote from a bob is the oil guy tech article:
"Nevertheless, esters are often used in combination with PAOs in full synthetic motor oils in order to balance the effect on seals, solubilize additives, reduce volatility, and improve energy efficiency through higher lubricity. The percentage of ester used can vary anywhere from 5 to 25% depending upon the desired properties and the type of ester employed."

AMSOIL Torque-Drive Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (Product Code ATD1G)

More than happy to get AMSOIL products for forum members at dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Last edited by C66 Racing; 07-30-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:29 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Another vote for Amsoil Torque Drive ATF.

you pay a little more..but top notch products, amsoil is the only item that will be allowed in my trans/ diff
Old 07-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Ohyoufan
Pro

Originally Posted by waddisme
I switched mine to Amsoil. Same for rearend. Ordered from Subdriver so I got it from one place at a good deal delivered to my door. Good luck with it.
Originally Posted by neutron82
I also run the above amsoil fluids in my trans/diff and both have worked great... now that you mention it I am probably due to replace those fluids in my car as well... they only have about 6k miles on them but its been about 2 years since I last changed them, I don't drive it much
Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Another vote for Amsoil Torque Drive ATF.
Originally Posted by C66 Racing
Those that still use a primary PAO basestock, modify them slightly by blending in Group V polyol esters. The polyol esters have two beneficial impacts; they counter-act the shrinking and swelling of the two different fluids resulting in a fluid which very slightly swells the seals, and they lower the coefficient of friction. AMSOIL has been blending their tranny, gear lube and top tier oils this way for a long time now and their fluids do not cause leaks. I've been using it in all my vehicles since 2004 - no leaks.

"Nevertheless, esters are often used in combination with PAOs in full synthetic motor oils in order to balance the effect on seals, solubilize additives, reduce volatility, and improve energy efficiency through higher lubricity. The percentage of ester used can vary anywhere from 5 to 25% depending upon the desired properties and the type of ester employed."

More than happy to get AMSOIL products for forum members at dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested.
Originally Posted by momo20

you pay a little more..but top notch products, amsoil is the only item that will be allowed in my trans/ diff
I put Amsoil in my m6 (which is a 99 with the paper blockers) and in my rear end and it's awesome stuff! My transmission's smooth as butter now, it was an INSTANT difference from the stock fluid. The shifts were a lot smoother and the transmission wasn't near as noisy.
I'll be switching to Amsoil motor oil on my next change too!
Old 07-31-2013, 12:56 AM
84REDCROSSFIRE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pennzoil Synchromesh Fluid in the yellow bottle

http://www.pennzoil.com/other-car-pr...n-fluid/#About
Old 08-01-2013, 12:07 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohyoufan
I put Amsoil in my m6 (which is a 99 with the paper blockers) and in my rear end and it's awesome stuff! My transmission's smooth as butter now, it was an INSTANT difference from the stock fluid. The shifts were a lot smoother and the transmission wasn't near as noisy.
I'll be switching to Amsoil motor oil on my next change too!

My local Vette experts all recommend Amsoil for all C5s. I have a 99 also and I called Tremec (which bought Borg Warner) and they recommended Mobil 1 which I ahve installed.
How long have you had the Amsoil in your trans? Any issues?
Old 08-01-2013, 12:14 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by C66 Racing

i haven't heard anyone complain about amsoil either. royal purple is the oil that seems to leak on some folks. my only wild guess was the PAO base stock
Old 08-01-2013, 12:15 AM
Ohyoufan
Pro

Originally Posted by flynhi
My local Vette experts all recommend Amsoil for all C5s. I have a 99 also and I called Tremec (which bought Borg Warner) and they recommended Mobil 1 which I ahve installed.
How long have you had the Amsoil in your trans? Any issues?
I've had it since last winter and my cars a daily driver and so far I haven't had any issues. Everything changed for the better!
Old 08-01-2013, 01:28 AM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 84REDCROSSFIRE

I loved Synchromesh in older FWD transaxles. Would be interested to hear more about people running it in the T56.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:11 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 84REDCROSSFIRE

Been running it for ~2 years now in my coupe. Shifting is noticeably smoother than with the Dex III (and I did have fresh Castrol Dex III in there). I was getting a 3-4 grind on redline shifts which is 90% gone. Or at least when it does happen now it feels more like user error and less like a tranny problem.

Get notified of new replies

To What tranny fluid for a Z06 t56

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What tranny fluid for a Z06 t56