C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help No Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 11:48 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Default Help No Start

I think it may just be a battery, but wanted a few other opinions. I started the car up earlier to set it in the middle of the garage to do a little cleaning of the interior. I noticed that it seemed a little slow on the cranking but did start OK. When I went to restart it to put in back on the side of the garage where it is normally it did not start at all. Just the dreaded clicking. So I attached my battery charger and let it run until it showed it was fully charged. Nothing. In fact it started clicking and even after I let go of the start button it continued to click for a few seconds. Now if I try to start it, I get No Fob Detected, and I have to pull the lease handle to get out.

Any ideas?
Old 07-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

When was the last time you replaced your FOB battery? Have you tried to start the car with the FOB in the slot in the glove box?
Old 07-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

What year car? How old is battery? Is it original battery?

That kind of info goes a long way when posting.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:55 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by BWF07
I think it may just be a battery, but wanted a few other opinions. I started the car up earlier to set it in the middle of the garage to do a little cleaning of the interior. I noticed that it seemed a little slow on the cranking but did start OK. When I went to restart it to put in back on the side of the garage where it is normally it did not start at all. Just the dreaded clicking. So I attached my battery charger and let it run until it showed it was fully charged. Nothing. In fact it started clicking and even after I let go of the start button it continued to click for a few seconds. Now if I try to start it, I get No Fob Detected, and I have to pull the lease handle to get out.

Any ideas?
Yeah, sounds like a battery issue to me. Are the terminals clean and tight? Grounds OK?

I had a C5 that was a year old when I bought it. Most of the time it started just fine. But on occasion, I'd turn the key and it would do absolutely nothing. Lights, etc., worked well.

Finally, the battery died. It was fine one evening when I put it in the garage but the next day nothing worked at all. Couldn't even unlock the doors.

Got a new Optima and it solved all the problems ... it never once refused to start. So Corvettes are apparently really fickle when it comes to batteries.

If the battery is very old, and if your car is out of warranty, it would probably be cheaper to just get a new battery than it would be to take it into the dealer and pay them to chase the problem. At least it might be a relatively inexpensive fix.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Remove and clean the terminals and see what happens, but it sounds like the battery went bad. Take it out and to an auto parts store for a load test and my bet is it fails.

If it's clicking when you push the Start button it has nothing to do with the FOB battery. Putting it in the glove box slot won't help.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:00 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Homer3D
When was the last time you replaced your FOB battery? Have you tried to start the car with the FOB in the slot in the glove box?
Just replaced both FOB batteries about a month or so ago. I even tried both FOB's. I have not tried the FON in the glove box.

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
What year car? How old is battery? Is it original battery?

That kind of info goes a long way when posting.
Sorry, I should have added that. The car is an '07, but I have only had it just over a year, so I have no idea how old the battery is, but it is a Florida car.so I doubt it is the original battery. Down here 3 years is a good life expectancy for batteries. It is an AC Delco but as I say it is way to clean looking to be the original.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Most likely the battery.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:26 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Thanks everyone, I was leaning toward the bad battery issue, just waiting for my son to stop by so we can run the battery over to the parts store to have it checked.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:13 PM
OptimaJim
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It sounds like you deeply-discharged your battery, although it would be tough for anyone to diagnose a battery issue without at least some basic information, like the battery's voltage level. If the car barely started when you first moved it, the voltage was probably borderline to begin with. The energy your car consumed during starting was probably not replaced in the brief amount of time the engine was running to re-position the car in the garage. Once you moved the car, you then proceeded to clean the interior? Does that mean you left the car doors open while you were cleaning, possibly further discharging the battery? What is the voltage of the battery? If the battery is deeply-discharged, the auto parts store should first attempt to fully-charge the battery before load-testing it.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries

Last edited by OptimaJim; 07-29-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:23 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,831 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

This will answer your question.

>> No FOB Detected checklist <<

Sounds like the car battery is toast.

Elmer
Old 07-29-2013, 02:45 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by OptimaJim
It sounds like you deeply-discharged your battery, although it would be tough for anyone to diagnose a battery issue without at least some basic information, like the battery's voltage level. If the car barely started when you first moved it, the voltage was probably borderline to begin with. The energy your car consumed during starting was probably not replaced in the brief amount of time the engine was running to re-position the car in the garage. Once you moved the car, you then proceeded to clean the interior? Does that mean you left the car doors open while you were cleaning, possibly further discharging the battery? What is the voltage of the battery? If the battery is deeply-discharged, the auto parts store should first attempt to fully-charge the battery before load-testing it.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries
Thanks for the reply. I simply pulled the battery as it was on my charger for over 2 hours and still I only got it to click. I then put it to Auto start, which is like a jump start and still nothing. I now have one of your Red Tops in the car and all is well.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
...I now have one of your Red Tops in the car and all is well.
You may want to read this Hot Rod article for some background about your new Optima battery. If your Red Top gets discharged, you may not be able to charge it back up if you have an older style battery charger. This is good info to know because even a lot of shops that sell Optimas don't understand them.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:10 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have the correct cone-shaped nuts on the battery clamps?

Regular nuts will allow the OEM cam-clamp to loosen... it would behave like a battery problem.
http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846931
Old 07-29-2013, 04:18 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Might be a damaged post on the starter solenoid!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...oid-cable.html

From another thread:
Originally Posted by VET4LES

This is the solenoid. Good luck.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ont-start.html

Get notified of new replies

To Help No Start

Quick Reply: Help No Start