C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Corvette owners into sport bikes too?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 06:41 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Any Corvette owners into sport bikes too?

Seeing avatars from a few members here displaying sport bikes I'm familiar with, and the beginning of a thread hijack with a bike conversation with MikeERWNC, gave me the idea for this one.

I guess being from a town which is also one of the racing capitals of the world, turned me early into a performance fan, both on 2 and 4 wheels.
I actually have more experience racing on 2 wheels than on 4, ex motocross / enduro racer here, mostly in 250cc, but having also flirted with some 500cc two stroke monsters (Yam and Honda) but mostly for fun (and work out!...)
I remember going to practice in the woods by the Le Mans race track with my riding buddies in the late 80's and wondering who this annoying kid was, going past us and making us wonder "what the #@$%?".... his name was Michael Pichon (for those who remember who he is...)
The street bikes I owned: 1977 Honda 750 four, 1998 Honda 750 VFR, 1972 Kawasaki H2 (two stroke triple) and 1975 Kawasaki H1, 2000 Triumph 955 Daytona, and my last bike a 2001 Suzuki 1000 GSXR.
Would it not be for the boring Florida landscape (when it comes to bike riding) I would probably still have one, but my idea of motorcycle riding isn't making square tires on highways, so I gave that up.
Corvette is more fun for that!

Of course I will always be a big motorcycle racing fan (both track and supercross), and I'd love to see Rossi get another title before he goes. Gotta love this guy!

Next!

Last edited by GuyFromLeMans; 07-28-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not for a while but still love them. Last was a 2000 ZX12R, always been a Kawi guy, all my bikes before that were Kaws, including a 9R and a couple of ZX11's. The bike I cherish and will never sell is my 1974 Z1 900 which is now a 1075cc with 36 flats, an undercut tranny etc. etc.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:59 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Yup. Was a sport bike rider for years. Had a lightely modified TL1000S, then a ZX10R and a ZX11 with a few minor mods for power and comfort.

Currently riding a Victory Hammer but not sure if I can stay away from a sport bike for long.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:23 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Oh, HELL yeah!!! Been ridin' street and dirt for over 45+ years. Had at least 16-17 street bikes ranging from a '66 Honda S90 to an '09 Yammie FZ1, along with 5 or so dirty bikes. Gotta agree that one of the most fun--and longest owned--bikes I had was a '95 Kaw GPZ1100E. Still own the FZ1, a Suzuki WeeStrom, and vintage (true survivor!) '91 CBR600F2. Whats great is that I can roll across the river into NKY in about 15 minutes and be in the middle of backroad heaven. Some of the best rural roads in the middle of the country, even rivaling the roads in southern TN and mountains of NC.

Just as riding off road and understanding the interplay between traction and directional control on dirt makes you a much better street rider, I truly believe that motorcycling trains you to be an exquisitely sensitive defensive driver on the road. Driving a car, you can listen to music, use a phone, and in some cases, play computer games, read a magazine, put on make-up, eat a 3-course meal. (Hey, I've seen it!) Riding a bike, you're pretty much just plain riding a bike, trying to stay alive. I think you almost develop a sixth sense about distracted drivers, dangerous situations, and better yet, pretty sure I can 'smell' a LEO at more than 1/2 a mile!!! Prolly the donuts...
Old 07-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

I am 60 and have a 2012 Kawasaki ZX1400 Concours as well as a 2013 Triumph 800 XC in the garage FZ1 is a nice ride, had one before the Concours. It was pretty quick.

Might buy a new BMW 1600 GTL and add it to the fleet next summer.

Would most likely give up riding if someone made me buy a Harley

Last edited by Snowwolfe; 07-28-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:34 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

I have been known to dabble...
I am finally back down to three, but I am looking to buy.

Me and the wife last December on matching VFRs:

Me and the wife Dragon Slaying on a K1200LT:

Popo Sandwich, I hate it when the law is out:

My wife Slaying Dragons on her SV1000s:

ME on the Concours 14A Dragon Slaying:

Last edited by MikeERWNC; 07-28-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:38 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Originally Posted by icntdrv55
Just as riding off road and understanding the interplay between traction and directional control on dirt makes you a much better street rider, I truly believe that motorcycling trains you to be an exquisitely sensitive defensive driver on the road. Driving a car, you can listen to music, use a phone, and in some cases, play computer games, read a magazine, put on make-up, eat a 3-course meal. (Hey, I've seen it!) Riding a bike, you're pretty much just plain riding a bike, trying to stay alive. I think you almost develop a sixth sense about distracted drivers, dangerous situations, and better yet, pretty sure I can 'smell' a LEO at more than 1/2 a mile!!! Prolly the donuts...
Couldn't agree more.
Racing is the ultimate school for vehicle control, be it on two wheels or four.
Wiping out so many times in a racing controlled environment, trying to push the limit of adherence to shave a 10th of a second, gives you a better understanding of (and respect for) this point of no return, that will undeniably will make you a safer rider / driver on the public road.
I don't mean to start the sport bike / Harley rider war here, but I can't help but roll my eyes when I see a 40 or 50 something deciding to "take up" motorcycle riding without having ever sat on a motorcycle before, and get on the heaviest, most underpowered machine and hit the highway. Without a helmet or any protective gear preferably...

It's getting good, keep it going guys.... Village Idiot where are ya?

Great pics Mike! Loved the VFR, comfy smooth ride!

Last edited by GuyFromLeMans; 07-28-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:44 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Yup. Was a sport bike rider for years. Had a lightely modified TL1000S, then a ZX10R and a ZX11 with a few minor mods for power and comfort.

Currently riding a Victory Hammer but not sure if I can stay away from a sport bike for long.
Now I get your handle name!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:56 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GuyFromLeMans
Now I get your handle name!
My dad told me I was addicted to riding it. It wasnt as fast as my friends bike, wasnt as new, didnt handle as well.........but it was the most fun I have ever had riding any motorcycle to date.

Ready to get an enduro again though. That I miss a ton as well.

To all you riders. Please, be safe.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:02 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Yup loved my Gixxer 1000

Have a Harley vrod now
Old 07-28-2013, 08:02 PM
m kraz
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

the good old days i raced mx for 7 years nj ma ny pa
did well then got in to corvettes i still ride streets
2005 gsx-r 600 love it
Old 07-28-2013, 08:09 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

GFLM: I've never raced in my life, but have always ridden pretty aggressively on the street. So at 62 yo this spring, I signed up for the Lee Parks Total Control class in Georgetown, KY. Best two days of rider training I can recommend, short of dedicated track days.

Me on the Wee, hoping my 8K mile shagged Shinko 705s don't wash out....

Old 07-28-2013, 08:12 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Do you like the Shinko's and why did you pick them?

A guy at work has a CBR1k with Shinko's and it felt like I was riding on ice in a corner.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:13 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

TLS Addict: Hmmm. As I recall from the early Suzuki V-twins, didn't many riders refer to the TL as the "Widomaker" due to it's prodigous torque and wonky suspension?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:17 PM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't had it running in a number of years cause of a car accident, but I have a '99 CBR600F4 with only about 7k miles on it in my garage next to the C6. Needs a ton of work now i'm sure since it hasn't been started in so long.....
Old 07-28-2013, 08:23 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Do you like the Shinko's and why did you pick them?

A guy at work has a CBR1k with Shinko's and it felt like I was riding on ice in a corner.
I assume he's running the 011 Verge--I'm not familiar with that tire. The Shinko 705s are an inexpensive DS tire--about half of what a Metzler Tourance would set ya back. And yeah, a lot of new Shinko owners say that the on-center feel is extremely 'light' and turn-in is very quick, almost to the point of being scary. Once you get used to it tho and gain more confidence in the grip, you can really exploit the tire's handling characteristic for hooning the twisties. There's a real love-hate relationship between riders who like the tires and want to save some coin and others who say they won't put their safety at risk by buying anything less than premium tires. I just traded out the shredded Shinkos for a set of Michelin Anakee 3s, just to try for more grip on the road, since I found my riding to be more than 95:5 and got a little tired of the noise and vibration of an aggressive DS tire.

BTW, I bet the mods move this thread to the off-topic category...

Last edited by icntdrv55; 07-28-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:25 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

TLS Addict: Hmmm. As I recall from the early Suzuki V-twins, didn't many riders refer to the TL as the "Widomaker" due to it's prodigous torque and wonky suspension?
They did. The 1998 came with the steering stabilizer (junk to be honest) and the 97 was retro-fitted with it. I looked high and low for a 1997 due to the 98's being "de-tuned". The 97 posted the fastest times of all the TL's. Not that its that fast but still. lol

The rear supsension was "wonky" at best. haha It took me a while to get it dialed in to work for my size and how I liked to ride. Had to adjust the front end a little bit.

Great bike and loads of fun. I wish I still had it but the girl wouldnt ride and I had the Kawi 1100 with the Corbin seat so we always took that.

Get notified of new replies

To Any Corvette owners into sport bikes too?

Old 07-28-2013, 08:28 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
Popo Sandwich, I hate it when the law is out:

Those don't look like Blount County boys....those are TSP boys...some serious law there!!!
Old 07-28-2013, 08:31 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

I assume he's running the 011 Verge--I'm not familiar with that tire. The Shinko 705s are an inexpensive DS tire--about half of what a Metzler Tourance would set ya back. And yeah, a lot of new Shinko owners say that the on-center feel is extremely 'light' and turn-in is very quick, almost to the point of being scary. Once you get used to it tho and gain more confidence in the grip, you can really exploit the tire's handling characteristic for hooning the twisties. There's a real love-hate relationship between riders who like the tires and want to save some coin and others who say they won't put they're safety at risk by buying anything less than premium tires. I just traded out the shredded Shinkos for a set of Michelin Anakee 3s, just to try for more grip on the road, since I found my riding to be more than 95:5 and got a little tired of the noise and vibration of an aggressive DS tire.

BTW, I bet the mods move this thread to the off-topic category...
I know a lot of guys who use them at the drag track on their sport bikes but not for real street riding.

It shouldnt be moved if we talk about Corvettes. My Corvette is blue and I almost bought a blue bike. There, Corvette oriented.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:44 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vig1116
I haven't had it running in a number of years....but I have a '99 CBR600F4 with only about 7k miles on it. Needs a ton of work now i'm sure since it hasn't been started in so long.....
You might be surprised. If it's a carb model, you'll definitely need to go thru the carbs and redo 'em. However, if it's the F4i--which I thought came out in mid-99 model year--you might find that a new battery with a quick drain of the old gas and a refill with new fuel + some SeaFoam will bring it back to life. FI is way more forgiving at being neglected for years on end than carbs, especially with EtOH fuel. Oh, and put new tires on it!!!!

Quick Reply: Any Corvette owners into sport bikes too?