C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Why the recent popularity of 63 coupes ?

Old 07-28-2013, 07:13 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why the recent popularity of 63 coupes ?

Last couple years the holy grail of C-2s was a 67, any style, color, combination. Now I am seeing a higher number of ads for 63 coupes. Most want a project or driver quality version to rebuild or restomod. Is it just the first design C-2 or is it to sell the one year only parts for high prices to compensate the resto build price ? Demand for the 64s indicate a lower price of this series. As much labor and parts builders place in their creations would it not be easier to buy the two pieces of glass and make a fiberglass divider for the new style builds ? Maybe its just another trend.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

This has been the trend for the last 40 some years. 63 coupes and 67 BB cars has always demand the higher prices. Then the 67 sb cars 65-66 coupes and convertibles then 63 convertibles then the red headed step child's 64
Old 07-28-2013, 08:41 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by chevahaulic
Now I am seeing a higher number of ads for 63 coupes. Maybe its just another trend.
There are LOTS of special events and celebrations this year for 63's, as it's the 50th Anniversary of the '63.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:56 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

The 63 coupe was the most recognizable mid year of them all because of the split window. Even though, of all the 63-67 model years, more 63 coupes were made than any other year coupe. Then you have all the 63's that were converted to the "much better" one piece back window in 1964 and the years that followed.

Jim
Old 07-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by JohnZ
There are LOTS of special events and celebrations this year for 63's, as it's the 50th Anniversary of the '63.
Exactly right.
Smart money should be buying '67s and hang on to them for 4 years and then flip 'em...
Old 07-28-2013, 09:01 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Exactly right.
Smart money should be buying '67s and hang on to them for 4 years and then flip 'em...
I just turned 50 and I get flipped off just as often as before.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:06 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 62Jeff

Old 07-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Happy Bday Jeff ... when you hit 60 then YOU will be flipping everybody else off I've got NO patience since that birthday....
Old 07-28-2013, 09:19 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
I concur
Old 07-28-2013, 09:19 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Happy Bday Jeff ... when you hit 60 then YOU will be flipping everybody else off I've got NO patience since that birthday....
I lost ALL my patience somewhere in my 40's. Maybe all those years in the fire service dealing with idiots caused me to age early.

Jim
Old 07-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

To me this one Pauly built is the PERFECT mid year coupe....best of both cars.

Well done Paulywannafly!
Old 07-29-2013, 12:02 AM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Does anyone have an estimate of how many 63 SWC's are still around? The registry does not have too many registered compared to how many were built.

It is funny, I have had my SWC for about 3 month and when I tell people about it they all know what it is but many have said they have never seen one in person. I am about a week away from mine being finished and it is going to be driven
Old 07-29-2013, 12:59 AM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I just bought mine a month ago after looking for about 6 months. I wanted a 63 coupe or a 67 roadster, but this was just based on aesthetic appeal only as I liked the uniqueness of the split window of the last of the model run 67 with its special side vents.

I think part of the reason some of these cars are showing up now is because people are liquidating to get a C7, or people are thinning the heard as they get older. I'm the fourth owner of a 50 year old car, and I noticed many 63 cars that I looked at had a short owner history.

Regardless of the reason, I'm glad they are shaking loose.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Any Corvette car show I go to there are 2-3 SWCs - I don't know why they are touted as so 'rare' except to justify the price. I think part of the popularity is that any non-car guy can impress his significant other by pointing to an SWC and telling her (him?) what it is with no effort. Other than that, most wouldn't know a '64 from a '67...

The car Pauly built was freakin' awesome - can't believe the new owner wrecked the snot out of it within a few months.

With NOM SWCs now having prices of $15K more than they did two years ago, and going in the mid-50K and up, I'm out of the market. I don't "buy high" when valuations are inflated. I'm betting in two years the novelty will quell somewhat and if I'm still interested I'll snag one. But I'll be 65 then and don't now how much old car stuff I'll still want to do...
Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I'm going on 68 and can't remember what getting flipped off means anymore <LOL>.

-- Steve
Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

I agree there is a SWC premium because it's an easy car for people to identify and "get right" when the general public spots one. For people who need the attention, I guess it's a plus; there are definitely people for whom owning the car is almost all about status- nothing new there.

I doubt the 50 year anniversary is driving many more serious buyers into the market than any other year, if the truth could be known. recognizing and appreciating a car because you read an article about it's "50th" is much different than actually getting off the couch and shelling out serious money for one.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:26 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I think you missed the point. The increased exposure of this year car due to the birthday has indirectly increased interest. Similar to Elanor clones after Fast and Furious. Fastback Mustang prices spiked immediately.

Get notified of new replies

To Why the recent popularity of 63 coupes ?

Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Any Corvette car show I go to there are 2-3 SWCs - I don't know why they are touted as so 'rare' except to justify the price. I think part of the popularity is that any non-car guy can impress his significant other by pointing to an SWC and telling her (him?) what it is with no effort. Other than that, most wouldn't know a '64 from a '67...
I agree with that. We drove the '67 to the Chevy dealer a week or so back to check out a 2013 Corvette on the showroom (for my wife, not me). The sales person met us at the showroom door and asked me what year my car is. At least it was recognizable as a Corvette <LOL>.

Another time, we were walking back to our car after eating at a restaurant. A young guy walked up and said, "Nice looking '67". I thanked him and told him I was impressed he knew the year. He said, "I have no idea what year. I just looked at your license plate". (my tag is "WINDY 67")

-- Steve
Old 07-29-2013, 09:47 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

I think you missed the point. The increased exposure of this year car due to the birthday has indirectly increased interest. Similar to Elanor clones after Fast and Furious. Fastback Mustang prices spiked immediately.
I'm not sure it has increased awareness and interest much among the general public, in the sense that it has actually increased people in the pool of demand by much.

I would say with the DOW at record highs, the rebound of the economy has more to do with supporting better sales prices than the 50th does.

It doesn't make much sense to believe that people read an article on jalopnik or whatever about the 50th and say "hey, I better get serious about getting this car, I can't believe it's 50!" More than likely, someone is saying, "my IRA was down 35% three years ago, glad I stayed in, now maybe I can go hunting again...."

(The Eleanor phenomenon reached people with a Jerry Bruckheimer 2 hr rock-video commerical for the cars, and the entry point for a fastback Mustang is still more reachable for a much larger percentage of the public than a SWC)

Last edited by ChattanoogaJSB; 07-29-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:50 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The year is almost history and I have heard little about the 50th celebration. The ordinary car buff isn't really into stats or birthdays... just seeing real touch and feel cars.

Frequently engaged in car conversations I am primarily a bow tie guy. Yes hemis are cool and six pack hoods are indeed art but park them next door and they will not wet my appetite. Now... an old Chevy 2, Camaro, or Vette ... the heart rate increases.

Ultimately when the conversation turns to old Corvettes the first statement is ...... do you have a split window ? Some don't even know the year produced. Just that image the general placed in ads years back that keeps floating to the top. When you mention you have two your practically a god. Then the conversation turns to original or stock. Love the six tail lights, broad roof stripes, and of course head lamps in the grille. Individuality is the key. The sloped coke bottle design with the door tops tucked neatly into the roof didn't hurt either.

Hysteria must be high as parts cars often advertised in the 30 - 40 k range actually sell. Amazes me every time I see an ad. If history teaches us anything this hype is in for a long roller coaster ride.

To the financial wagers in the 3-7 group.... It's not too late to cover the 67 and place it in a non disturbed corner of that huge garage. Hunt up the elusive 63, and get in the game. Modern drive train or stock... two rear windows are much better than one.... just ask around !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why the recent popularity of 63 coupes ?