Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Help please!Battery volts went down to 12.2 at idle-service charging system

Old 07-27-2013, 01:43 AM
TT32VGT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help please!Battery volts went down to 12.2 at idle-service charging system

Alright so I got my car back from the mechanic(did heads and clutch this time around-had cam, exhaust, fast 102 setup)..
The battery died after 4 days of sitting.. So I replaced it with a duralast gold with a good bit more cca.. I noticed today the battery volts are low.. like as low as 12.2 at idlle.. finally service charging system light came on.. the battery volts at idle at 12.2-13 and driving 13.5-14.. Battery is NEW.. Im thinking alternator, what do you guys think? Tomorrow Im getting autozone to test the alternator..

Help please!

I saw this thread, and started to revive it but as you can see it didnt go in that direction..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...driving-2.html
Old 07-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by TT32VGT
Alright so I got my car back from the mechanic(did heads and clutch this time around-had cam, exhaust, fast 102 setup)..
The battery died after 4 days of sitting.. So I replaced it with a duralast gold with a good bit more cca.. I noticed today the battery volts are low.. like as low as 12.2 at idlle.. finally service charging system light came on.. the battery volts at idle at 12.2-13 and driving 13.5-14.. Battery is NEW.. Im thinking alternator, what do you guys think? Tomorrow Im getting autozone to test the alternator..

Help please!

I saw this thread, and started to revive it but as you can see it didnt go in that direction..

Alternator is taking a crap. battery was probably going bad for a while, and alternator was working way too much overtime and is petering out.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,045 Likes on 819 Posts

Sounds like alternator's going south.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:45 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 388 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Sounds like alternator's going south.
I have 14.2 showing most of the time. I thought (perhaps wrongly!) that showed that the alternator was charging my battery.

Granted, my battery is 3 years old, and when the vehicle sits for more than 3 -4 days, I notice that the battery has a tough time and turns the engine over slowly. It only takes 3-4 seconds, and fires right up.

Additionally, the door touch pads (just replaced last week) barely open the doors after 3-4 days of non-driving.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:10 AM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by TT32VGT

Help please!

Have you used a battery tender??

If your new battery was sold to you in a run down condition, this could happen.

If it was my car, I would put a battery tender on it until it shows full charge, then drive the car. If it still reads low voltage, you could take it to Autozone and have them evaluate the charging system.

Lots of luck, 2k
Old 07-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,045 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
I have 14.2 showing most of the time. I thought (perhaps wrongly!) that showed that the alternator was charging my battery...Granted, my battery is 3 years old, and when the vehicle sits for more than 3 -4 days, I notice that the battery has a tough time and turns the engine over slowly. It only takes 3-4 seconds, and fires right up.
When my Z has to sit longer than 3-4 days it goes on a battery tender, otherwise my experience is like yours. If you don't use a tender, might consider one.

OP's issue sounded to me like the car wasn't recharging, a good sign of a bad alternator.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Chance575
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

you get new tune, if the idle is low and you have a high demand this could be causing the issue

Get notified of new replies

To Help please!Battery volts went down to 12.2 at idle-service charging system

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Help please!Battery volts went down to 12.2 at idle-service charging system