C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have to give it to Chevy......

Old 07-26-2013, 08:29 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Default I have to give it to Chevy......

At least with these disappointing rag times we know they didn't give 'em ringers
Old 07-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Sp00ky
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I honestly think some people were expecting near Z06 numbers with a car that has 50 less hp and heavier. Chevy didn't want to amaze people with straight line performance with this car. They wanted to make a RWD sports car that be driven to the limit much easier than past generations. You can toss the car around and know what exactly it will do next and they have succeeded. All of the mag reviews summed up, say they love the way this car drives and thats what matters.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,902 Likes on 1,354 Posts

It was explained by Edmunds that Chevy uses a 1 foot rollout in their numbers, while some of the mags do not. Personally, I could care less about 1 foot rollout times. Give me the real deal from a standing start.

Michael
Old 07-26-2013, 08:42 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by tail_lights
At least with these disappointing rag times we know they didn't give 'em ringers
I liked them, car sounds amazing. What were you expecting right out the gate with the entry level? What 0-60? What trap? That's not sarcasm....just trying to get a feel for the disappointment in current times. What mph trap through the quarter in your opinion would be the threshold between great and disappointing?

Sounds like the car is pretty nimble. I think for street driving, it will fit the bill for everyone short of those looking for roll ons.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Punishermach
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTH? C7 runnin some weak *** times for a vette,especially for the new latest and greatest. Looks like GM is just trying to drop the ball in all areas, lets see, well thers the design and man that thing is has some serous design flaws in my opinion, such as the whole back half of the car just dosent look right to me. And Now the performance with these released 1/4 mile times being a joke. I don't know if i will ever be lucky enough able to own a vette, but man i know one thing it will not be a C7. C6 FTW all the way around! Just my opinion!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:52 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Exactly what times were you disappointed in? 3.9 sec.? 12.1 sec.? 93 ft.? All that for $51,995? Sounds pretty good to me.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by mpuzach
exactly what times were you disappointed in? 3.9 sec.? 12.1 sec.? 93 ft.? All that for $51,995? Sounds pretty good to me.
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 497 Likes on 265 Posts

Where have you guys been for the last 20 years? The mags NEVER get the most out of these cars. They get a few hours with a pre-production car they are not supposed to break. Getting the best 0-60 and 1/4 mile times and trap speeds take the practice of many, many runs and likely full-on, no-lift, speed shifting these mag guys just can't do.

The mag stats are useful if you want to compare the C7 to other cars tested by the same mag, but even then air and track conditions will cause at least a couple of tenths and MPH variance from one test to another. The only valid comps are when the cars are tested by the same crew, at the same track, on the same day.

Finally, once these cars are in the hands of real owners who practice drag racing them, the times will come way down. For example MT tested the 1999 C5 Hardtop and Hatchback with the following results:

The new-for-1999 Hardtop with its fixed roof makes for an even stiffer structure than its Coupe or Convertible siblings. As our test numbers bore this out, the Hardtop (which comes standard with the race-style Z51 suspension system) whipped through the 600-foot slalom at an average 68.1 mph, the quickest we've gotten out of a C5 Vette. On the other hand, the improved structural rigidity did nothing to enhance straight-line performance. The 0-60-mph time of 4.8 seconds was identical for both cars and the quarter-mile times were actually better for the Coupe (13.2 seconds at 109.6 mph versus 13.3 at 108.6).

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2aCbczlUs
Then look at this thread see what Forum members have been able to do in stock C5s with run-flats. 12.8 @ 109-110MPH Much better than MT!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/perf...imes-list.html
Old 07-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Punishermach
WTH? C7 runnin some weak *** times for a vette,especially for the new latest and greatest.
In your opinion, exactly how fast should a base C7 have been to be acceptable?
They have already tested a few tenths faster than the outgoing C6's. While I'm sure GM could have gotten more out of the LT1, they're not going to put out a C7 that's as fast as a C6Z for $52k (especially with how C6Z sales tanked the last few years).
IMO, once in owner's hands the C7's will routinely be running high-11's, maybe a touch quicker at a sea level track in the northeast...say...this November or December. I hope to have my car by late September, and it'll be at Atco right after that.

S.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by adamsocb
The mag stats are useful if you want to compare the C7 to other cars tested by the same mag, but even then air and track conditions will cause at least a couple of tenths and MPH variance from one test to another. The only valid comps are when the cars are tested by the same crew, at the same track, on the same day.
Exactly.
Take Road & Track for example. They ran a 12.2 at 117 in 77* air, 62% humidity, at an elevation of 994' and likely on an unprepped surface. They do NOT correct for weather/DA using NHRA correction factors.
Anybody who thinks these cars won't pick up a few tenths and a few mph at tracks like MIR, Etown, Atco, HRP, etc. in decent air is crazy.
S.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:36 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by Snorman
Exactly.
Take Road & Track for example. They ran a 12.2 at 117 in 77* air, 62% humidity, at an elevation of 994' and likely on an unprepped surface. They do NOT correct for weather/DA using NHRA correction factors.
Anybody who thinks these cars won't pick up a few tenths and a few mph at tracks like MIR, Etown, Atco, HRP, etc. in decent air is crazy.
S.
...look as some of the video, you can see the dust being kick up behind the cars, defiantly some time left on the table. some of the posts above are just trolling, they are here just to stir the pot. I can't wait for Probst at Laguna Seca AND C&D Lightning Lap.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:38 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sp00ky
I honestly think some people were expecting near Z06 numbers with a car that has 50 less hp and heavier.
Anyone though (without the blinders on) should be able to see what this car was capable of. Chevy has fallen way short in my opinion.
Originally Posted by Sp00ky
Chevy didn't want to amaze people with straight line performance with this car. They wanted to make a RWD sports car that be driven to the limit much easier than past generations. You can toss the car around and know what exactly it will do next and they have succeeded. All of the mag reviews summed up, say they love the way this car drives and thats what matters.
But why??? After so many on here were bashing the he!! out of the GTR for making it too easy now Chevy is trying to do the same? Yet the same bashers are going to be swingin' and singin' the praises of the C7
Old 07-26-2013, 10:40 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Originally Posted by Michael A
It was explained by Edmunds that Chevy uses a 1 foot rollout in their numbers, while some of the mags do not. Personally, I could care less about 1 foot rollout times. Give me the real deal from a standing start.

Michael

Lined up at a streetlight vs any other car- "I get a 1' foot rollout because the mag said so"
Old 07-26-2013, 10:49 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Anyone though (without the blinders on) should be able to see what this car was capable of. Chevy has fallen way short in my opinion.

But why??? After so many on here were bashing the he!! out of the GTR for making it too easy now Chevy is trying to do the same? Yet the same bashers are going to be swingin' and singin' the praises of the C7
Since you didn't respond the the first time I asked, I'll ask again: what numbers are you disappointed with? What level of performance would have earned your approval?
Old 07-26-2013, 10:49 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

1) 0-60 around 4 seconds is quick enough for 99% of the people who want this car, including me.

2) who cares about numbers? It's the driving experience that's important. If you want numbers, go to the aftermarket. That's what it's for. Personally, how the car performs in the grand scheme is what makes a car great or not. I couldn't care less about the "Godzilla" machine. It's not my cup of tea even if it went 0-60 in 1 sec.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:53 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sin City
1) 0-60 around 4 seconds is quick enough for 99% of the people who want this car, including me.

2) who cares about numbers? It's the driving experience that's important. If you want numbers, go to the aftermarket. That's what it's for. Personally, how the car performs in the grand scheme is what makes a car great or not. I couldn't care less about the "Godzilla" machine. It's not my cup of tea even if it went 0-60 in 1 sec.
Winnahhhh!!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 10:53 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I liked them, car sounds amazing. What were you expecting right out the gate with the entry level? What 0-60? What trap? That's not sarcasm....just trying to get a feel for the disappointment in current times. What mph trap through the quarter in your opinion would be the threshold between great and disappointing?

Sounds like the car is pretty nimble. I think for street driving, it will fit the bill for everyone short of those looking for roll ons.
I appreciate this.

The car will be great on the street, track and even as a cruiser. I don't know if you are getting one but I hope you do and enjoy every second of it

I will admit, with the massive torque, I was hoping 0-60 times were a bit better, and thus everything that follows (60' although that would be before the 60mph mark, 1/4 mile, etc). I was hoping for more power so the trap could be higher. Not to start the trolling comments but I do have a C6 GS, and it has trapped 115.8 in less than optimum conditions. I was hoping the C7 would be in the high teens and maybe touch 120 and that in the initial testing that it was a solid 118-120 car, but it does not appear to be. I realize that some drivers will get it there, but the ones that run those numbers usually aren't in my neck of the woods.

Get notified of new replies

To I have to give it to Chevy......

Old 07-26-2013, 10:56 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sin City

But that's the problem. It is just good. It could have been great
Old 07-26-2013, 11:01 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

But that's the problem. It is just good. It could have been great
Everything can be better. I wished I had designed it. I would have made it better looking IMO. You would probably disagree with my design because we all have different tastes and thoughts of what is and isn't great.

But, I didn't design it and every car is a compromise. Is the C7 great? I don't know yet as I haven't driven it. I sure like what I see though.

I can tell you I don't think the Ferrari 458 is great either. Life is full of compromises, even for a car costing a quarter million.

If you want perfection, you have to make your own car from scratch -- and probably never make it street legal. Otherwise, work to appreciate what others have done to solve the problems you never faced.

Last edited by Sin City; 07-26-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:02 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Originally Posted by adamsocb
Where have you guys been for the last 20 years? The mags NEVER get the most out of these cars. They get a few hours with a pre-production car they are not supposed to break. Getting the best 0-60 and 1/4 mile times and trap speeds take the practice of many, many runs and likely full-on, no-lift, speed shifting these mag guys just can't do.

Finally, once these cars are in the hands of real owners who practice drag racing them, the times will come way down. For example MT tested the 1999 C5 Hardtop and Hatchback with the following results:

Then look at this thread see what Forum members have been able to do in stock C5s with run-flats. 12.8 @ 109-110MPH Much better than MT!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/perf...imes-list.html
I absolutely agree with this. I realize that some drivers will destroy the magazine times. (However) To me though it seems the mags are more on the mark with what the average Joe runs though. The track I run at is not one of those magical tracks where you can run half a second faster because of the DA on any given winter outing. A C7 at my local track will probably run close to what these magazine times are, time shall tell.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I have to give it to Chevy......