Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I fix my targa top leak??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:59 PM
427TTA4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I fix my targa top leak??

Well I just hate it when my top leaks and I dont even know about it.I walked to my car and turned it on from a 2 month sit and I got inside and theirs some kind of mold barely showing on the pass side door panel so the only thing that would cause it to leak would be the top.Is their a company that sells them or any method that I can restore the weather stripping..Oh and its a coupe thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,223 Likes on 13,931 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've got some Word files that discuss water leaks and how to adjust the window/targa top for a better fit. Of course, if your weatherstripping is shot, that's a different story. If you would like a copy of the files, PM me your e-mail address.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:29 PM
C5FORFUN2
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

You must leave it parked out in the weather, so extra care is needed to keep the weather stripping protected. As stated in other posts, most use dielectric grease and or Aerospace 505. The dielectric grease will help seal the areas where the side ws meets the front and the rear ws especially. Replacements are readily available from Wilcox and other forum sponsors too.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:31 AM
luckyirishguy
Burning Brakes

any1 know where to get targa replacement stripping that doesnt cost so much?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:19 PM
22tdrew@gmail.com
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I've got some Word files that discuss water leaks and how to adjust the window/targa top for a better fit. Of course, if your weatherstripping is shot, that's a different story. If you would like a copy of the files, PM me your e-mail address.
If you still have the Word files available, I would like a copy:

22tdrew@gmail.com
Old 07-23-2013, 08:39 PM
seu318
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

luckyirishguy - allow me to be a cautionary tale - - i too was shocked by the OEM replacement cost for the targa top seal, and I ended up getting the 'off brand el cheapo' version. Went in ok, but lasted less than 6 months before the hideous seams on it started to separate. My advice: Resist the urge, bite the bullet, and just buy the OEM. I need to redo mine again, as the el cheapo is completely worthless. I should have listened to all on this board who recommended to stay away from the cheap replacement. You don't want to be where I am now - having basically thrown away the $149 only to find myself back where I started - having to spend the big bucks on the OEM version anyway.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:56 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My glass top leaked for years at the rear passenger window. While replacing with the painted top, I noticed the weatherstripping was pinched - perhaps while I or a previous owner had mounted one of the tops. I was able to work the pinch out and it hasn't leaked since.

The following 2 users liked this post by s'noJob:
aphaynes (07-28-2016), OldBalz (02-10-2017)
Old 07-24-2013, 12:09 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Wow, talk about karma....

Just discovered this weekend I need to replace the Targa Top Halo weatherstrip and yeah sticker shock for sure...

So far I found GM PartsDirect to be the best deal: $172.94 (freaking Zip has it for over $300)
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm
Old 07-24-2013, 02:03 PM
ScumOne
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want sticker shock, try this...my 04 CE got hit by flying metal debris on the freeway. Couldn't figure out which trucker (of six semis) did it, so I just turned it into insurance.

The metal debris hit the windshield, targa roof, strip behind it, etc.

So all the weatherstripping on the top had to be replaced for the complete paint job.

That was a shade over $900 from GM.

I got the B pillar GM weatherstrip (the long one that covers both the rear part of the door windows and over the top) from Eckler's on a 20$ off sale for around $275. I put that in my 99 C5 and that worked nicely for reducing the wind noise I had before on the 14 year old factory w/s.

So I've spent almost $1300 on weatherstripping in the last two weeks.

Argh!
Old 07-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 546 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Originally Posted by s'noJob
My glass top leaked for years at the rear passenger window. While replacing with the painted top, I noticed the weatherstripping was pinched - perhaps while I or a previous owner had mounted one of the tops. I was able to work the pinch out and it hasn't leaked since.

Kind of the same thing for me. The pin of the top had broken some of the rubber and pinched it in a way that let water run right inside. I had an inch of water once on the driver's side.

So I now make sure the pin goes where it should and the rubber is in the proper position. No leaks since.
The following users liked this post:
aphaynes (07-28-2016)
Old 02-09-2017, 11:30 PM
poo23
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s'noJob

I need a Targa top, for my 99 coupe, or have it replenished (if possible) I have two small cracks on the passenger side. Can it still be replenished, are is it time to buy a new or used one.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:41 AM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Along these same lines...

I bought my 2000 C5 this summer. It's had the plastic roof ("Targa" roof?) or no roof at all times. There is a decent amount of wind noise at higher speeds (70+ mph) with the Targa roof. Weather stripping looks ok (this car was never stored outside--trust me--way too clean). The "real" roof (fiberglass roof) is in plastic wrap from when I bought the car.

If I take the fiberglass roof out of the plastic wrap and put it on the car instead of Targa roof, will that reduce wind noise and likelihood of slight water leak? I need to travel with the car this spring for a week and if it rains, I don't want rain getting in the car. If there is a difference, why less wind noise and/or water leak with standard fiberglass roof instead of Targa roof?
Old 02-10-2017, 10:43 AM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Slo Yelo C5
Along these same lines...

I bought my 2000 C5 this summer. It's had the plastic roof ("Targa" roof?) or no roof at all times. There is a decent amount of wind noise at higher speeds (70+ mph) with the Targa roof. Weather stripping looks ok (this car was never stored outside--trust me--way too clean). The "real" roof (fiberglass roof) is in plastic wrap from when I bought the car.

If I take the fiberglass roof out of the plastic wrap and put it on the car instead of Targa roof, will that reduce wind noise and likelihood of slight water leak? I need to travel with the car this spring for a week and if it rains, I don't want rain getting in the car. If there is a difference, why less wind noise and/or water leak with standard fiberglass roof instead of Targa roof?
The roof in general no matter witch one is a targa. There is an adjustment for the windows in an out for the top of the windows. There is a plug on the side of the door were the latch is and behind the reflector on the inside of the door. The shop manual will help greatly. Not a difficult adjustment.
1SharpGent (01-30-2024)
Old 02-10-2017, 02:22 PM
ScumOne
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by poo23
I need a Targa top, for my 99 coupe, or have it replenished (if possible) I have two small cracks on the passenger side. Can it still be replenished, are is it time to buy a new or used one.
I have a Targa top here that I had refurbished by my local shop, that came off my 99, and I have brand new GM seals for it as well. Email me if you would like to make an offer on it all.

I just never drive with the glass top anymore.

jim@scumbackspeakers.com
Old 03-09-2017, 08:21 AM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

I need the complete weatherstripping for my targa. Looked on GM Partsdirect. Halo isn't bad ~$200 or so. However the small pieces that attach to the targa, $269 for EACH side!
Old 03-09-2017, 09:26 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

make sure your udders are clear of debris !!!!! might not be the top ???
Old 03-09-2017, 09:32 AM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by luckyirishguy
any1 know where to get targa replacement stripping that doesnt cost so much?

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you. The only way you will find it cheap is if you buy it used.
I used dielectric grease on mine and it worked for a little while, but the florida sun has destroyed it and I need a replacement. I also looked up pricing and thought I was buying platinum dipped weatherstripping.

Get notified of new replies

To How can I fix my targa top leak??

Old 03-09-2017, 09:43 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

You Guys would be amazed with Chadwick's no tire sling, made all my rubber weatherstrips and moldings like new !!!!
1SharpGent (01-30-2024)
Old 02-16-2019, 02:07 AM
Richard Andaya
Advanced

Please email some ways to seal the targa top.
richandaya805@gmail.com
Old 05-25-2019, 01:52 PM
2002 C5
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Please send me the information as well. I will be sending a PM as requested...

Quick Reply: How can I fix my targa top leak??