C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tpms problem !! please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 05:29 PM
badassf4i
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default tpms problem !! please help

I was driving along last week and hit a small pothole in the road, almost instantly the service tpms message poped up and it showed my pas side rear wheel with xx.i have the relearn tool so I tried the procedure when I got home and had no luck. I figured the sensor was damaged from the jar so I bought a new sensor and had the tire shop replace it and it still would not relearn on that same wheel with the new sensor. what else could have got damaged? is there an antenna or anything?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:42 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Did you do the procedure starting from location 1 thru location 4 or just try to get the one wheel to conform?
The car doesn't care about location. It just needs to know the order.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:45 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 07-18-2013, 10:58 PM
badassf4i
Instructor

I followed the order and it stops at 3 and wont learn
Old 07-18-2013, 11:44 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

You may need to break the tire loose from the rim and stick the tool in there closer to the sensor. Discount Tire had to do that with one of mine that refused to learn.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:44 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default May not help but it happen to me, too.

I had that very same thing happen to my 2010 GS two days ago going down the beltway, I hit a bump in the road and my left front sensor quit working= XX. I turned the car off and on a few times hoping that it would start working but no luck. I figured that I would try letting some air out of the tire the next day and than refilling before ordering a new sensor.

Well today I had to go somewhere in the vette before doing the air pressure thing and to my surprise all was well again, maybe the lord cut me a little slack!!

PS: My thought on letting some air out and then refilling was that might shock the sensor into working again. Oh, on the 2010 you do not need the tool to reset the sensors.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 07-19-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:01 AM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Make sure you get the RIGHT SENSOR. They have changed & are different colors. Sometimes the car will not recognize aftermarket sensors. Some folks have stated that while driving a sensor quits reading (it happened to me ONCE) and it happens due to RF interferance not going over bumps. The sensors also work on batteries and their life is @ 5 years.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:18 AM
jack5hd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey grandsport man.i have a 2011 g.s....can i reset sensors without a tool?
Old 07-20-2013, 02:47 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jack5hd
I don't know. In 2010 they changed the sensors to a green colored one (GM#15268606 I believe) which only required you to let air in or out of your tire as you went around the car, I can reset all four in a matter of minutes; but then I read that GM switched back to the old style/way for some reason and it may have been at a certain date during the production run. Maybe someone here knows when GM went back to having to use the tool, it may of been mid year during the 2011 model run? I don't know when they switched back. Try a search.

PS: My left front one quite working the moment I hit the bump and did not start working even in my own driveway till over 24 hours later in the same place, my driveway. It has never happen before or since. I think radio interference would have affected more than the one sensor that hit the bump at the time. JMHO

EDIT: I bought two extra factory wheels to put drag radials on and I had one of those quite working all of a sudden a day or two after the tire installation, so I let some air out and then refilled it ("not" going thru the reprogramming process) and it started working again; it's been fine ever since.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 07-21-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:00 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

The 2005-2009 C6 uses a gray sensor.

The 2010 C6 came out with a green sensor.

They started using a different sensor in Jan 2011. So, if your 2011 was built in Dec 2010 or earlier then you won't need a TPMS tool.

Like Grand Sport Man says, for the 2010 model year they changed the TPMS computer in the car to one that used the green sensor that was also used in numerous other GM vehicles, and it could be triggered by the signal transmitted by a TPMS tool or by changing air pressure in the tire.

However, when several cars with those green sensors were in a dealership getting work done, and one of them got the tires rotated and was put into the learn mode to program the new sensor positions into the TPMS computer in the car, if one of the other vehicles in the shop just simply got its tire pressures adjusted that would trigger its sensors and the wrong sensor could be logged into the other car.

So, starting in Jan 2011 GM began installing a black sensor into all vehicles that previously used the green sensor. The black sensor can only be triggered by a TPMS tool.

Either the green or black sensor can be used in any 2010-2013 C6.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 07-20-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:10 PM
jack5hd
Burning Brakes

thanks bob...i read the manual and it says i need the reset tool.i was hoping i did not need one.car was built may of 2011.who makes a good reset tool?thanks j.k.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:23 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks bob...i read the manual and it says i need the reset tool.i was hoping i did not need one.car was built may of 2011.who makes a good reset tool?thanks j.k.
There are several levels of TPMS tools available.
  • The most basic and cheapest will simply send out the triggering frequency. You can't really do any diagnostic checks of sensors with a basic tool, other than when doing the relearn procedure to program the sensor ID #'s into the TPMS, if you get a honk of the car's horn at each wheel then you know the sensors are okay. These tools generally only work with simple sensors like GM vehicles use, and may not work with many other sensors. Our sensors only require a continuous wave transmission from the tool, but many sensors require a sort of Morse code pulsed transmission from the tool.

• More advanced TPMS tools will have a receiver in them that picks up the transmission from the sensor after it's triggered and sends out its data. Middle level tools may beep, and may have some lights that illuminate to tell you that the sensor is working when it picks up the transmission from the sensor. With a tool like this you can test a sensor in a tire without putting it into the learn mode, or a sensor that you're holding in your hand. These tools generally will trigger all sensors and can be reprogrogrammed when newer sensors come out that may require different signals to trigger them.

• High end tools will have a screen that will show info about the sensor, such as the sensor's ID#, the pressure it's reporting, the frequency it's transmitting on, some sensors report the temperature, and some will display the condition of the battery in the sensor. The one I have myself (and have a couple used ones for sale) have an extensive menu of virtually every vehicle from all manufacturers, and sub menus of all different models. It knows how to communicate with just about all sensors out there.

You can see a video below where I'm using several different tools.

There's a cheap/basic tool available here from the manufacturer for $68.57:

https://gmspecialservicetools.spx.co...s.aspx?id=5677

Tire Rack has several different tools, from very basic to a fairly high end one with a screen (don't bother with that $42 one - I tried it and couldn't get it to trigger our C6 sensors):

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...toring+Systems

I have a used KTi pst and a used TIPS tool available (exact same tool - one is reen and one is red in color). That "u-shaped" area on the bottom is a strong magnet to trigger C5 sensors (or others that trigger magnetically) - $135 shipped:

I have a brand new KTi pst. It comes with several volumes of guide books that tell you how to do the relearn procedure on almost all vehicles (they are only up through about 2008). It also has a PIM (Programming Interface Module) that will hook the tool to your computer so you can update the tool. It's available for $170 shipped.

I also have a used OTC 3833 tool with a nice carrying/storage case, guide book, and magnet for C5 sensors - $235 shipped:

Bob

Here's a video using 3 different levels of tools to do diagnostic checks of a sensor in a tire:

Here's a video using a TIPS tool to do the relearn procedure to program a set of sensors into my C6. It shows how to put the car into the "learn mode" and the order to do the procedure in:

Last edited by BEZ06; 07-22-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:41 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Default THANK YOU for all the TPMS INFO/HISTORY. (sticky)

BOB, YOU DA MAN!!

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 07-22-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:42 PM
badassf4i
Instructor

I wound up having to break the bead loose and putting the tool almost directly on the sensor. Worked like a charm then
Old 07-22-2013, 02:51 PM
jack5hd
Burning Brakes

thanks...............
Old 07-22-2013, 03:26 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
You may need to break the tire loose from the rim and stick the tool in there closer to the sensor. Discount Tire had to do that with one of mine that refused to learn.
Originally Posted by badassf4i
I wound up having to break the bead loose and putting the tool almost directly on the sensor. Worked like a charm then
Old 08-11-2013, 09:36 PM
badassf4i
Instructor

well the same sensor went out again today while going down the road. it will not relearn this time even after breaking the bead.... all of the sensors are aftermarket from the parts store and it is only the pas side rear that is giving me the problem even on a new sensor... is there some type of pickup or antenna in the car I could check. also any idea what a oem sensor would cost from the dealership?

Get notified of new replies

To tpms problem !! please help

Old 08-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by badassf4i
well the same sensor went out again today while going down the road. it will not relearn this time even after breaking the bead.... all of the sensors are aftermarket from the parts store and it is only the pas side rear that is giving me the problem even on a new sensor... is there some type of pickup or antenna in the car I could check. also any idea what a oem sensor would cost from the dealership?
If you aren't running run flat tires the sensor can wait for a while. If you are running run flat tires the sensor is the only way you can tell the tire doesn't have air or is low on air. If you can wait for a few days you can have OEM sensors shipped to you from Bob at the House of Wheels. He has a great price on sensors and can beat the price you get for the aftermarket crap they sell at the auto parts stores.

Bill
Old 08-11-2013, 11:22 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

with Bill - I like the Schrader sensors that are OE on our cars.

It looks like you have a 2008, so the OE sensor you need is the one for all 2005-2009 Vettes, a gray peanut shaped sensor with GM part# 25758220:

I have some brand new ones available - $38 shipped for one, $140 shipped for a set of 4.

Bob
Old 08-12-2013, 02:56 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I have heard of problems much more often with the aftermarket sensors than the oem Schraders. If triggering is a problem, it would make sense to try out the triggering using a TPMS tool before ever installing into a tire and wheel...make sure they work right before investing the time and effort in mounting and balancing.

Quick Reply: tpms problem !! please help