Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You're gonna love this story!

Old 07-21-2013, 04:16 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default You're gonna love this story!

Nashville Tennessean had an ad for an '07 Z06 with 9,400 miles, 2LZ package with the notation MUST SELL back on 7/13. It had a Memphis, TN, phone number and a note to text or call for more info. The price was $20,000.00! Sent two texts, called four times, on that Saturday, no response until Wednesday and I get a text from Judith Henderson offering to send photos if I wanted them. DO I EVER!! I get an email with six photos and the car looks great, black with gray interior, mileage on odometer agrees with the ad. "Judith" has just gotten a divorce and doesn't need the car.

So I send a reply - It looks like you're in Memphis. I can be there in 4 hours with cash or cashier's check. No reply. Send another message - where's the car?? Your phone is Memphis but the background scenery looks like California (I knew that because there is a Kilroy Realty sign in the background of one of the photos and they are strictly West Coast). Finally get a message back that she wanted to start over, moved to Omaha, NE, the car is in a shipping container ready to go to its new home. I can pay with Google Wallet without worry since they won't release the money to her until I give them the go ahead to do so.

So I send a note back - no need to ship. There is a flight on Friday from Nashville that puts me in Omaha at 11:09 and I can drive the car home and be back by midnight. And again, I'll bring 200 $100.00 bills or a cashier's check. Just let me know which you prefer.

All this has to be on the up and up - right?

I haven't heard anything else from "Judith". I probably missed out on the deal of the decade. Whaddaya think?

Charlie
Old 07-21-2013, 04:21 PM
ZachHasAVette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cruisemon
I probably missed out on the deal of the decade.
sounds like one heck of a deal, if you haven't missed out, good luck with it
Old 07-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Surfer G
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 27 Posts

Be careful, Memphis, Omaha, shipping container, doesn't sound to good, bring a friend, no cash, pack some heat
Old 07-21-2013, 04:40 PM
ZachHasAVette
Racer

Originally Posted by Surfer G
Be careful, Memphis, Omaha, shipping container, doesn't sound to good, bring a friend, no cash, pack some heat
good advice, could be too good to be true
Old 07-21-2013, 04:41 PM
mikeyrko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw something similar with a Polaris Rzr one time,
just another internet scam.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:42 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

Originally Posted by Surfer G
Memphis...Check
Old 07-21-2013, 04:42 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

If it sounds too good to be true ........

Then again, one never knows?
Old 07-21-2013, 04:47 PM
ZigZag
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 116 Posts

Wow, quite a story. I hope it's legit for your sake. It almost could be true because if she's how do I say it (not into cars) then you could have something here. If she knows what she's doing then like was said. Pack some heat.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

And again, I'll bring 200 $100.00 bills or a cashier's check. Just let me know which you prefer.

All this has to be on the up and up - right?

I haven't heard anything else from "Judith". I probably missed out on the deal of the decade. Whaddaya think?

Charlie
Of course it's all on the up & up and yes you missed out!

Been trying to sell my C4 & I've been getting tons of replies like this one -

Is your object still offered? Sigh...this is probably be weird but you appear alluring in your post. Would like to get coffee anytime? I'm not a weirdo, just feeling bored. If you are fascinated, get in touch with me on my exclusive dating profile (it's like facebook for grownups), there's no cost to enroll! My pix and my phone # are all on there. After you login, Im going to mail you a private message so you'll know it's me. There are too many scammers on here so if you're real, text me and become friends and maybe more? Who knows? All right, I won't annoy you again! To prove that Im a real person, today's date is 7/21/2013.

I wonder if 'Judith' is trying to sell her '07 Z06 & then trying to hook up with me?
Old 07-21-2013, 05:01 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's tongue in cheek. Of course it's a ripoff. All the warning signs are there - no personal contact, can't come see the car, wants to use Google Wallet for payment, and more.

Charlie
Old 07-21-2013, 05:02 PM
MacTacular
Advanced

yeah, thats a very common scam...the car youre looking at doesnt exist man..sorry
Old 07-21-2013, 05:04 PM
mikeyrko
Racer

It's tongue in cheek. Of course it's a ripoff. All the warning signs are there - no personal contact, can't come see the car, wants to use Google Wallet for payment, and more.

Charlie
I'm glad you know that. I wonder how many people they actually steal money from.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:08 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

From one Charlie to another, seems like "Judith" must have lots of shipping containers with Corvettes in them! She offered me one almost 2years ago, a yellow Z as you describe this one. Funny how the phone number was a NY exchange but the car was exactly where yours is! This is a scam, my "name brother"!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:29 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,297 Posts

I have a friend who also contacted Judith at the Memphis # (via text). The ad was in the Knoxville paper. He offered to come pick the car up and got a response that the car was in Nebraska, and that she was currently traveling and would ship the car with a 5 day approval money back guarantee. The money would be held by google or someone to assure a fair deal. For those who have looked carefully at the picture of the car, the sign in the background is for a San Francisco real estate company. This car gets around. He asked for directions to come pick up the car and never got another response.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I cant believe that people here would actually think for one moment that this was a real offer. this is a case where they say bring cash, and no one ever hears from you again.
I had a friend who was killed for 14 dollars..
who do you think 20K would attract
Old 07-21-2013, 05:50 PM
calivette805
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Scam hahaha
Old 07-21-2013, 07:11 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,295 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Yeah, I imagine it's on the up and up. You should also buy the beachfront property she has in Nebraska too!

Get notified of new replies

To You're gonna love this story!

Old 07-21-2013, 09:18 PM
JimInPA
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I cant believe that people here would actually think for one moment that this was a real offer. this is a case where they say bring cash, and no one ever hears from you again.
I had a friend who was killed for 14 dollars..
who do you think 20K would attract
I don't think anyone here is going to get killed- just scammed. Judith is in Nigeria, or Ukraine, or.......

As soon as you hear paypal, google wallet, western union- it is usually an overseas scam.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:29 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Scam, I had a Stang GT for sale earlier in the year, and whoever was on the other side would only text at about 3AM. I have an 8-5 job, and I occasionally do wake up to my friends texts at 3am. Well, finally, I started to be rude; I asked if he would take the car for free if I could take his bleep for a test drive. Needles to say, the texting at 3AM stopped pretty fast haha. I wish I still had the string of texts that was sent back and fort to show you.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:32 PM
01vette360
Racer

LMAO.. iam in the Seattle area and was trying to by a boat from Mrs. Judith!! She had a killer deal posted on Craigslist for a boat in Bellingham,wa.... I told her I have all the cash ill pay your full asking price and be there in a couple hours just give me an address...GUESS WHAT, she moved to Omaha from Bellingham after a divorce.... That's great news I have a brother in Omaha I told her he will come get it and haul it up here.... Nope it's sealed and ready for shipping.... Sounds like bullsh!t.... Don't waste your time...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: You're gonna love this story!