Notices
C6 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C6 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes

May be Scam BEWARE

Old 07-17-2013, 04:39 PM
z76232
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Default May be Scam BEWARE

Hi Guys
I've been looking for a Z06 for around $32K and one of our brothers sent me this Craigs list ad http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/3935188773.html
Called the guy and got a not here message. Two minutes later I get a text wanting my e-mail address. I sent it to him and he sends me the same pictures and an e-mail back not written in very good english, that he has moved from Co. to Mt. and lowered the price to $32K, doesn't want me to fly in and give him cash. Wants to go through something called amazon payments. Says I get my money back through them if I don't like the car. Won't give me his address so I can send someone over to check it out. Won't send a picture of the odometer. Really seems like a scam. Very disappointed but still have my cash and desire for a C6 Z06 if someone knows of one for around $32k.
Thanks guys and be careful
Dave P.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

The number on the ad goes back to this guy...

http://start.cortera.com/company/res...alor-attorney/
Old 07-17-2013, 05:48 PM
ozman1966
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by z76232
Hi Guys
I've been looking for a Z06 for around $32K and one of our brothers sent me this Craigs list ad http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/3935188773.html
Called the guy and got a not here message. Two minutes later I get a text wanting my e-mail address. I sent it to him and he sends me the same pictures and an e-mail back not written in very good english, that he has moved from Co. to Mt. and lowered the price to $32K, doesn't want me to fly in and give him cash. Wants to go through something called amazon payments. Says I get my money back through them if I don't like the car. Won't give me his address so I can send someone over to check it out. Won't send a picture of the odometer. Really seems like a scam. Very disappointed but still have my cash and desire for a C6 Z06 if someone knows of one for around $32k.
Thanks guys and be careful
Dave P.
Anyone that won't try to work with you and get you everything you need to buy their car, whether a scam or not, isn't worth your time of day, move on to a legitimate deal and find a motivated seller that will get you anything you need to sell their car, if they won't, don't even waste your time with finicky sellers. My .02 Cents.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:51 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Run Forrest, Run
Old 07-17-2013, 08:40 PM
z76232
Drifting

Default SCAM for SURE

Here's the e-mail I got from the guy. Have not heard back from him, don't expect to. Definitely not ATTORNEY PATRICK L LALOR. I've had to deal with all source of scammers on ebay also. I've found out not to even think about dealing with a 0 feedback seller. The search goes on. I guess that is half the fun. Just have to be a little street wise now-a-days. If it's to good to be true, it's not.

Hello Dave,
My 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Coupe is still for sale. The asking price is $32,500.00, please note this price doesn't include shipping taxes, for an accurate cost provide me with your zip code or full address. It is located in Helena, MT, as I recently moved here with my job. The car is registered on my name and the title is clear (no lien). It is in great condition, no dents or scratches. It was always garaged and the regular maintenance was done in time. It wasn't involved in any accident and has never suffered any kind of damage. Also this is a non-smoker car.
I had a buyer offering $35,000.00 and I've lost about 2 weeks waiting for him to pay just to find out in the end that his loan wasn't approved. I've lowered the price because I'm in desperate need of cash, so if you don't need a loan you can have it. I don't want to offend you, but the car is priced for a fast sale so please if you intend to apply for a loan or financing do not reply to this message!
I want to use Amazon Payments for closing this deal. If you are not aware of how they work you should know that they will allow you to test drive and inspect the car before me receiving any money. You will have a 7 days inspection period to decide whether you want to keep it or not before they release the funds to me.
I attached you more pictures to this email.
I look forward hearing from you.
Danny Curtis
Old 07-17-2013, 10:07 PM
DHB820
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

I almost got scammed on Craigslist and that is why I don't trust using it at all. I'd stay away if I were you.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:11 PM
PHPD7102
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Ask for the VIN and run a carfax to see if it at least has ever been registered in Co or Mt for that matter.

Pretty much sounds like a scam to me though.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:00 PM
UniTink72
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I swapped a dozen emails with a guy "selling" a super cheap Z06. I knew early on it was a scam but was just curious how far he'd take it. The three re-occuring themes:
1. No matter what, I or anyone else couldn't look at the car before it got shipped to my address. When I told them a relative lived close to where the car was at, all of a sudden it was halfway across the country.
2. They really push the amazon payments thing. Search the internet, there's tons on it. They set up fake websites that look like they are amazon, but aren't.
3. The a-holes always have bad english.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:55 PM
10splaya22
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a very obvious scam. They never let you see the car because it doesn't exist.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:49 PM
z76232
Drifting

Default Big scam idiot

Here's the e-mail I got today after I asked for odometer pictures and wanted to stop by and look at it. What an idiot, "I am left from town most of the time." Do people really fall for these scams?

Hello again,
First of all I need to tell you that I am located in Helena, MT. I am left from town with business most of the time and because of that i chose to handle the sale online through Amazon Payments because they are the best company when it comes to this kind of transactions. This way we can both be protected and insured.
The title will come signed by me and ready to be transferred under your name and the bill of sale will be attached to it. The car is registered on my name and the title is clear (no lien). The shipping fees to your location will be $470. It has 19,655 miles. Here is the VIN# as well: 1G1YY26E565132914.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:51 AM
danh52
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

This is a scam. I got the same e-mail word for word for a red Z06 from CL in Portland Oregon.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Bendog
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

I love messing with these folks... I reply saying "Sounds good, I want it. I'm going to send the money today so get it ready to ship" and then the next day they send an e-mail saying they didn't get it, what's going on and then I usually do the "that's weird, I sent it, what is going on? I'll call Amazon if you want" and watch them squirm. Basically... waste their time as much as possible. It's fun.

In fact, I'm going to contact the craigslist guy now and mess with him.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:15 PM
C5 Scully
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BS scam, stupid @ss..... fly over there and left, left and right him and that's the business!

Last edited by C5 Scully; 07-19-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:42 PM
PryOpenUr3rdEye
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bendog
I love messing with these folks... I reply saying "Sounds good, I want it. I'm going to send the money today so get it ready to ship" and then the next day they send an e-mail saying they didn't get it, what's going on and then I usually do the "that's weird, I sent it, what is going on? I'll call Amazon if you want" and watch them squirm. Basically... waste their time as much as possible. It's fun.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:24 PM
SlowFRC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly OP, if you're looking for a Z for $32k all you're going to find are scams or cars with 150k miles.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:44 PM
z76232
Drifting

Default Z06 Wanted

I said around $32K. For the right car, I can sell blood and I have an extra Kidney I have $36K saved up but I have to get it to Phoenix and AZ. wants an arm and a leg to title and tag it. Talking with a couple good guys right now. I'm sure I'll get one soon. Please keep sending what you find.
Thanks
Dave
Old 07-20-2013, 12:40 AM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bendog

I do the same thing

Get notified of new replies

To May be Scam BEWARE

Old 07-20-2013, 04:09 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Lol, it's a scam. There was a cheap Z06 listed in Canada a while back and I emailed. Same thing, handle it through some escrow service etc. They wanted Id, banking account etc, lol I don't now how people fall for that. I said ok, I'll send you my info right after I get your info. Said I need their checking account so I can wire the funds etc, lol never heard back.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:28 PM
vinceg
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I got the same crap It is a scam
Old 07-21-2013, 09:01 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 789 Likes on 533 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Run Forrest, Run