C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with USAA insurance?

Old 07-16-2013, 01:06 PM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Those with USAA insurance?

Those of you guys with USAA insurance, do you guys like it and are they competitive? Also, i've been reading reviews online about how bad they've become the last 5 or so years, is this true?? I'm trying to get my father to join so i can join through him, but he thinks it's a bad idea cause of the reviews. Obviously he'll do it if i want but I don't want a company that you cant get a hold of if you have a problem or that starts out cheap then comes back and says, sorry, for you the rates are higher, we made a mistake, like i've read happening... Thanks guys!!
Old 07-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

I've had an USAA homeowner's policy since 1966. I didn't get their auto insurance since State Farm had better prices even when I was on active duty and stationed out of state. My children all have USAA and have been treated well by them. My daughter is in the process of going through a home owner's claim in California right now. A broken pipe in the concrete floor ruptured and ruined the carpet in one room, kitchen cabinets and tile floor in another room and USAA is helping them through the process. They are very satisfied with the service they are receiving and it seems like it is just as good as it always has been.

Bill
Old 07-16-2013, 01:34 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Had their insurance for years. A couple claims in the last 20 years. Always treated great with great service. I didn't notice them being any higher than the others. I'm sure there are cheaper places out there. Their customer service is awesome. The annual dividend check is great also.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:38 PM
DocHorton
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had USAA as well for several years. Their home-owners and auto policies have always been cheaper than what I could find through other major insurance companies and their customer service blows away any other insurance company I have ever had. I would strongly recommend it.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:39 PM
vig1116
Drifting

then where the heck are all of these bad reviews coming from? (kind of a rhetorical ques, i know you guys aren't lying) I've heard they were great, then i read these reviews and i'm doubting myself....
Old 07-16-2013, 01:50 PM
R0NIN
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use USAA for many services (including auto insurance)... I love them!
Old 07-16-2013, 01:56 PM
Freak3150
Instructor

USAA home and auto insurance here. Best I've ever dealt with.

As far as bad reviews, I tend to believe people with a bad experience are FAR more likely to post it somewhere than those with good ones. Also you have to take into account the review is only one side of the story.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

I have been a USAA member since 1976. There was a time when no one could touch their rates and customer service. I had my cars insured with them until about 8 years ago. I started to get quotes from other insurance companies and found that USAA had become more expensive than many of their competitors. I still have my credit cards and life insurance with them, but I found much better rates for both car and home with other companies that have local insurance agents.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:19 PM
trebor8008
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's usually the ones that aren't happy that scream the loudest. With my customers I see many different insurance carriers every week, quite a few seem to have horror stories about some other company that treated them wrong. It goes to say "you can't please everyone". Heck I've heard people complain about the Corvette
Old 07-16-2013, 02:25 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Banking, insurance, brokerage, credit cards, it's all great. I feel lucky to be a member.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Brockman66
Racer

USAA is absolutely amazing. I've been a member with them since I first joined the service and started driving. They were the cheapest company that I got a quote from by far. Their customer service is absolutely top notch. When I had to make a claim for a hit and run in a parking lot a few months back I was scared that I would have to pay my $1000 deductible. They took care of me though and reduced my deductible to only $250. Not to mention when I took my car in for repairs the shop manager said that he was glad I had USAA because they were so easy to work with. You won't find a better all-around company than USAA, I guarantee it!

Last edited by Brockman66; 07-16-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:02 PM
USAF
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by vig1116
Those of you guys with USAA insurance, do you guys like it and are they competitive? Also, i've been reading reviews online about how bad they've become the last 5 or so years, is this true?? I'm trying to get my father to join so i can join through him, but he thinks it's a bad idea cause of the reviews. Obviously he'll do it if i want but I don't want a company that you cant get a hold of if you have a problem or that starts out cheap then comes back and says, sorry, for you the rates are higher, we made a mistake, like i've read happening... Thanks guys!!
Sounds like my daughter. Daddy get USAA so I can too.
Here's what I did. I got a policy on a small piece of jewelry.
Premium is around $50 a year.
But it allowed the baby girl to get herself in. She's saving a ton on car and home in north Carolina.

Wasn't any saving for me in Florida over All State.

USAF
Old 07-16-2013, 03:13 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Banking, insurance, brokerage, credit cards, it's all great. I feel lucky to be a member.
USAA is great....
Old 07-16-2013, 03:27 PM
vig1116
Drifting

Originally Posted by USAF
Sounds like my daughter. Daddy get USAA so I can too.
Here's what I did. I got a policy on a small piece of jewelry.
Premium is around $50 a year.
But it allowed the baby girl to get herself in. She's saving a ton on car and home in north Carolina.

Wasn't any saving for me in Florida over All State.

USAF
That's what i'm thinking of doing. I believe in taking advantage of things at your disposal. Not scamming though, just things that are afforded to you for one reason or another....
Old 07-16-2013, 03:29 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,095 Likes on 807 Posts

USAA has been good to us, rates are good, though I have quoted every few years to make sure and so far I am stayiny
Old 07-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

When I started with them there wasn't any such thing as a package deal where you could save by having both home and auto insurance with them. I was on active duty out of state and Aetna canceled my policy because I was in the Army. I was stuck so called USAA and my dad's insurance company which was State Farm. I got a renter's policy from USAA since State Farm didn't have any such thing at the time and I got my car covered by State Farm which was quite a bit cheaper than USAA. Since then I have just sort of kept things that way. Upgraded to a house when I got out of the Army and USAA was cheaper than State Farm on the house insurance but State Farm was cheaper on the Auto. Every time I check it is still that way although if I went one way or the other with everything I would probably save either way. Problem is I like both of them. They have both provided great service over the last 47 years.

Bill
Old 07-16-2013, 03:41 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

I have never heard anything negative about USAA... Always great reviews.

However, Clark Howard mentioned Amica about ten years ago and I changed everything over to them...
I Absolutely love them. It might be another option for you.

State Farm as gotten extremely money hungry in NC.

Get notified of new replies

To Those with USAA insurance?

Old 07-16-2013, 03:59 PM
SeanMo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

I've been more than happy with USAA . Use them for insurance and investing. I've had to file a couple claims in the past, and they handled them great. Also my rates didn't go up from the claims. I have used there roadside assistance a few times as well, and was always happy with that. One call while you are stranded and they take care of the rest. Doesn't matter if its a vehicle on your policy or not as long as you are with the vehicle.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Brockman66
Racer

Originally Posted by SeanMo
I've been more than happy with USAA . Use them for insurance and investing. I've had to file a couple claims in the past, and they handled them great. Also my rates didn't go up from the claims. I have used there roadside assistance a few times as well, and was always happy with that. One call while you are stranded and they take care of the rest. Doesn't matter if its a vehicle on your policy or not as long as you are with the vehicle.

Especially if you're driving a car that doesn't have a spare or runflat tires. A dollar or two a month for peace of mind is worth it in my opinion.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:43 PM
gar4403
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Saved $800 annually after 20 years with State Farm and I'm in the middle of a hit & run claim right now. So far, so good. No complaints.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Those with USAA insurance?