C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Corvette Buyer - Need Advice

Old 07-13-2013, 06:31 PM
XFit
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Corvette Buyer - Need Advice

I have been looking at this site for a few months now but never registered. I am in the market for my first Corvette in the next month and I'm looking for some advice, thoughts, and maybe other options I hadn't considered. This would be a third car, just for fun, so I'm not looking to break the bank - just something fast, powerful, and cool to cruise in.

I test drove a 2008 Base Corvette, Red, with 2,500 Miles on it today. The car is very basic. Automatic Transmission, Paddle Shifters, it does have power seats, removable roof panels, and some carbon on the dash (not sure if that was standard or not). If it's helpful I can post up the exact specs on the car.

I like that the car has such low miles and is in such great shape. I'm trying to determine what kind of offer to make on the car and honestly if I should do this or wait and keep looking. One major advantage is that it's local for me so I wouldn't have to have it shipped.

Car is listed at $35k today. (I would like to offer less, but not sure what's reasonable...I know they have 'some' room on it.
Is this a fair price?
Should I keep looking?
There is no warranty on the car - should I be concerned or ready for issues?
Would it be ridiculous to take it to a mechanic for inspection with such low miles on the car?

I really want it, almost bought it today, but don't want to get too emotional so walked away figuring I can always go back on Monday.

Oh, its at a Caddy dealer now...they say a customer traded for a new daily driver.

Thanks all...

Last edited by XFit; 07-13-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:04 PM
NoRuls
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

No warrantee?? Even a $10,000 Chevy will get 30 day / 1000 mile deal. Certainly can't be the mileage, must be the 5 year old thing. Sounds like a base car. Anything at all to warrant that price other than the low miles? Wheels, HUD, crystal red metallic, exhaust, two tops, anything? You should be able to get a little better deal, probably not much more but anything will help. Check the tires for age issues. Don't forget to wave and NEVER add it up! $$ Good luck!
Old 07-13-2013, 07:07 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

We need more info...for one the interiors have trim levels: 1-2-3-4LT...if it has HUD (Heads Up Display) its at least a 3LT...does it have Z-51 suspension? Dual stage exhaust? DVD/NAV? How's the carfax? Paint condition? Tread on the tires? I wouldn't pay 35k even if its in great shape...I think that's a lil steep...for 8K more you can get a new GS with all the incentives...however if its the car you want and all of the above are in excellent condition buy what makes you happy my friend...

Last edited by C6ROLLER; 07-13-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:09 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I would want to know what trim level it has...1lt, 2lt, 3lt, or 4lt, whether it has chrome wheels, NPP, Nav, HUD. I also wouldn't be afraid to ask to take it to a mechanic and have it checked out. Depending on what options it has would depend on what I would offer.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:14 PM
MLCRookie
Pro

Based on his post I would assume it's a 1lt which I wouldn't give a penny over 30k for. I paid 36k out the door for my 2010 with 7k miles and 3lt, NPP, a6, everything but nav car. Honestly, I look around quite a bit to keep abreast of what cars are going for right now and for 36k you can even find low mile Z06's in that territory now...I would offer 25k and see what they say...if they don't seem to nibble, walk away. Look on the regular car sites to see what they are going for based on options, etc. so you can at least have a ball park figure instead of taking a dealerships word on a car...knowledge is power and every penny saved is another mod you can do to the car after you buy it.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:18 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

And to answer your question about whether or not having an inspection or ppi (pre purchase inspection) with such low miles is ridiculous the answer is hell no! Its your money and your purchase there's nothing wrong with insuring its a well informed one!
Old 07-13-2013, 07:22 PM
jh61408
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

You said basic model, the price is high for a base model car. It's that is what would be a LT-1, Which would have no HUD {Heads Up Display} or sports seats, or Heated seats. There are other options available such as Magnetic ride, and the Z-51 option, which was suspension upgrades and drilled brakes.

Have you looked at Auto-trader? or Cars? You would find the price to be slightly high, even with the low mileage. For $4,000 more you could get a brand new one with a full warranty. Check this site - http://www.kerbeck.com/

Besides with the C7 coming along, there will be deals on the leftovers.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:26 PM
jh61408
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Well you said $35K so it would 5K more towards a new one.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:27 PM
XFit
Intermediate

Thanks Guys. Really appreciate the input. I believe it is a 1LT. I listed the specs below. I think the biggest thing going for it is the extremely low miles. It doesn't have any features to speak of. I thought of offering 25k and going up to 30k max/maybe. But as you point out if I can spend a little more and get a used Z06 I would consider it for sure or if there was some way to find a new one for 35k that would be great too. Oh, lots of creaks, especially from the roof..sales guy said they would address it if I want the car. I just don't want to make an offer and get laughed at i.e. 25k but since I'm in the north east I figure if it doesn't sell by september they are hung with it for another 7 months.

Entertainment

Audio system, AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, Radio Data System (RDS), automatic volume, TheftLock and auxiliary input jack. Includes (U66) 7-speaker system (Requires 1LT or 2LT Preferred Equipment Group.)
Enhanced Acoustic Package
XM Satellite Radio. With a wide variety of programming, XM has something to excite any driver. Whether you want to be entertained or informed, to laugh, think, or sing, XM has the perfect channel for you - coast-to-coast, and in digital-quality sound. 3 trial months - no obligation (Includes hidden antenna in outside mirrors. Available in the 48 contiguous United States. Required $12.95 monthly subscription sold separately after 3 trial months. All fees and programming subject to change. Subscription subject to customer agreement. For more information, visit gm.xmradio.com.)
Antenna, integral, hidden

The features and options listed are for a New 2008 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Cpe and may not apply to this specific vehicle.
Exterior

Wheels, 5-split spoke, Silver-painted aluminum 18" x 8.5" (45.7 cm x 21.6 cm), front and 19" x 10.0" (48.3 cm x 25.4 cm), rear
Tires, front P245/40ZR18 Eagle F1, extended mobility
Tires, rear P285/35ZR19 Eagle F1, extended mobility
Roof panel, 1-piece body-color, removable
Headlamps, dual projector lamps, Xenon, High-Intensity Discharge (HID) low-beam, tungsten-halogen high-beam with automatic exterior lamp control
Fog lamps, front, integral in front fascia
Mirrors, outside heated power-adjustable and driver-side auto-dimming, body- color
Glass, Solar-Ray light-tinted
Wipers, front intermittent

The features and options listed are for a New 2008 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Cpe and may not apply to this specific vehicle.
Interior

Seats, front bucket with leather seating surfaces includes back angle adjustment (Requires 1LT Preferred Equipment Group.)
Seat adjuster, driver 6-way power
Console, floor, 2 covered cup holders, ashtray with cigar lighter, auxiliary power outlet and CD storage
Floor mats, carpeted
Steering column, Tilt-Wheel, manual
Steering wheel, 3-spoke leather-wrapped
Instrumentation, electronic analog with Driver Information Center and 2-line display
Oil life monitoring system
Door locks, power programmable with lockout protection
Windows, power with driver and passenger Express-Down
Cruise control, electronic with set and resume speed
Theft-deterrent system, vehicle, push button start, immobilizer and audible visual alarm
Keyless Access, with push button start and 2 remote transmitters that enable automatic door unlock and open by touching door switch
Hatch release, push button open (Includes power hatch pulldown.)
Defogger, rear-window, electric
Air conditioning, dual-zone automatic climate control with individual climate settings for driver and right-front passenger and outside temperature display
Air filtration system with pollen filter
Mirror, inside rearview auto-dimming with compass, includes dual reading lights
Visors, driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors
Lighting, interior with courtesy, cargo and glovebox
Storage, with lockable glovebox, center console and 2 rear compartments with covers

Mechanical

Engine, 6.2L V8 SFI (430 hp [320.6 kW] @ 5900 rpm, 424 lb-ft of torque [572.4 N-m] @ 4600 rpm)
Transmission, 6-speed manual, short-throw (Includes (GU6) 3.42 axle ratio.)
Rear axle, 3.42 ratio, limited slip (Included and only available with (MN6) 6-speed manual transmission.)
Rear wheel drive
Active handling, improves traction and enhances vehicle stability
Engine access, rear-opening hood
Suspension, 4-wheel independent, includes transverse composite springs
Steering, power, speed-sensitive, rack-and-pinion
Exhaust, aluminized stainless-steel with 3" polished stainless-steel tips

Safety

Traction control, all-speed
Brakes, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc
Daytime Running Lamps
Tire Pressure Monitor System, air pressure sensors in each tire with pressure display in Driver Information Center
Air bags, frontal, driver and right-front passenger with Passenger Sensing System (Always use safety belts and the correct child restraints for your childs age and size. Even in vehicles equipped with air bags and the Passenger Sensing System, children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat. Never place a rear-facing infant restraint in the front seat of any vehicle equipped with an active frontal air bag. See the vehicles Owners Manual and child safety seat instructions for more safety information.)
OnStar, 1-year of Safe and Sound plan. Includes Automatic Notification of Air Bag Deployment, Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance, Emergency Services, Roadside Assistance, Remote Door Unlock, OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, Hands-Free Calling, AccidentAssist and Remote Horn & Lights (OnStar services require vehicle electrical system (including battery), wireless service and GPS satellite signals to be available and operating for features to function properly. OnStar acts as a link to existing emergency service providers. Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance and Remote Door Unlock success varies with conditions. OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics available on most 2004 MY and newer GM vehicles. Diagnostic capability varies by model. Visit onstar.com or call 1-888-466-7827 for system limitations and details. Not available with a ship-to of Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands.)
Old 07-13-2013, 07:32 PM
VRYALT3R3D
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

It is a 1LT.

FYI, You can buy a brand new 2013 1LT for 39,995 at Les Stanford Chevrolet.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:34 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

If it has power SEATS, then it is at least a 2lt. But the price is about $6000.00 too high. You can buy a GMCPP extended warranty with a $50.00 deductible for a small price ( use a forum vendor ). If you are in a large city find a Chevy dealer that has sold a few Corvettes in the past couple of years and have them check it out. If the car is, as you say, at a Caddy dealership it will be price way to high, also ask them if it is a certified pre-owned car. Also ask for a Car Fax on it. I would also check the tires for age, dryness near the tread and sidewalls, check the inside of the tires as I am sure that it has been detailed.
And there is a good chance that the cf on the dash is plastic, as that was standard. Good luck and remember to wave.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Lippincott
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post the last 8 digits of the VIN or the whole VIN and I'll give you the vehicle build
Then you can easily determine the value
The Warranty from GM is transferable on the 5-100 but you're at the 5 part so Warranty is an issue

Email me the VIN and I'll be able to respond faster

Normanchevrolet@gmail.com
Old 07-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D
...You can buy a brand new 2013 1LT for 39,995 at Les Stanford Chevrolet.
The only way the OP can buy a new C6 right now for under $42,000 is if he already owns a Corvette and qualifies for the $3,000 Owner Loyalty rebate.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:19 PM
XFit
Intermediate

PM Sent - Thank you!

Honestly as a third car, for fun, I can't justify 35k...maybe 25 as someone has already recommended. If you guys know of any other pre owned vettes that are posted in that range please point me in the right direction. Thanks
Old 07-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ROLLER
And to answer your question about whether or not having an inspection or ppi (pre purchase inspection) with such low miles is ridiculous the answer is hell no! Its your money and your purchase there's nothing wrong with insuring its a well informed one!

Old 07-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Lippincott
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vehicle Build
Model: 1YY07-2008 CORVETTE COUPE Order Number: MTMS2X
Gross Vehicle Weight: 1,689 Build Date: 05/20/2008
Build Plant: 5

Option Codes
*IVH is not the definitive source of GM Vehicle RPO information and is intended for service reference only. Should there be any questions about the vehicle's original build or RPO information please refer to the original vehicle invoice or window sticker.
193 - EBONY 19I - BLACK INTERIOR TRIM
1LT - 1LT BASE EQUIPMENT GROUP 1SZ - PREFERRED EQUIPMENT SAVINGS
74U - VICTORY RED AK5 - DRIVER/FRONT PASS. AIRBAGS
AL0 - SENSOR INDICATOR INFLATABLE RESTRAINT, FRT PASS/CHILD PRESENCE DETECTOR AR9 - LEATHER SEATING SURFACES
BGR - BOWLING GREEN PLANT BS1 - INSULATION ACOUSTICAL PKG
CF7 - REMOVABLE ROOF PANEL CJ2 - DUAL ZONE, ELECTRONIC A/C
DD0 - ELECTROCHROMIC MIRRORS INSIDE REAR & LEFT OUTSIDE REAR DD8 - OSRV
E2C - ORDER TO DELIVERY - EXPEDITE FE1 - 4 WHL INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION
GM8 - REAR AXLE 2.56 RATIO IP3 - INTERIOR TRIM DESIGN
JJA - PT DRESS SUBASSEMBLY JL9 - 4-WHEEL DISC ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM
K63 - 110 AMP GENERATOR LS3 - 6.2 LITER 430 HP ENGINE
MX0 - TRANSMISSION, 6-SPD PADDLE SHIFT AUTOMATIC MYC - 6 SPD AUTO TRANSMISSION
NE1 - 50-STATE EMISSIONS NK4 - TILT LEATHER WRAP STNG WHEEL
NU5 - EMISSION SYSTEM CALIFORNIA BIN 4 QG6 - ALUMINUM 5-SPOKE WHEEL
R6K - PROCESSING CODE R9N - PROCESSING CODE - SEAT
R9Z - POMS EXPEDITE - SOLD ORDERS SLL - SOLD ORDERS
U2K - XM SATELLITE RADIO - SERVICE FEE EXTRA. 1ST 3 MONTHS INCL. U52 - ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTATION
U66 - SPEAKER SYSTEM 7, CUSTOM UE1 - 1 YR ONSTAR SAFE & SOUND(ASK DLR ABOUT TURN-BY-TURN NAV UPGRADE)
UJ9 - LOW TIRE PRESS. INDICATOR US3 - ANTENNA DIVERSITY
US8 - AM/FM CD/MP3 RDS RADIO V73 - STATEMENT OF VEHICLE CERT.-U.S. /CANADA
VA5 - ENGLISH LANGUAGE LABEL VDD - VEHICLE INFORMATION DVD
VH9 - ENVELOPE OWNER INFO MANUAL VK3 - FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET
VT7 - OWNERS MANUAL ENGLISH XBH - FRONT TIRE - P245/40ZR18
YPI - REAR TIRE - P285/35ZR19

Regarding Warranty

The 5-100 expired in May

Applicable Warranties Valid warranties are highlighted
Valid Description Start Date Effective Odometer End Date End Odometer
Emission Select State Component Lty Wty 05/29/2008 3 MI 05/29/2015 70,003 MI
Corrosion Limited Warranty 05/29/2008 3 MI 05/29/2014 100,003 MI
Emission Select Component Ltd Wty 05/29/2008 3 MI 05/29/2016 80,003 MI
Bumper to Bumper Limited Warranty 05/29/2008 3 MI 05/29/2011 36,003 MI
Emission Limited Warranty 05/29/2008 3 MI 05/29/2011 50,003 MI
Powertrain Limited Warranty 05/29/2008 3 MI 05/29/2013 100,003 MI
Old 07-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

25k isn't an offer there going to take you serious with. Do you really think they're going to drop 10k?

Do yourself a favor and check out NADA for pricing. Keep looking and you'll find the right deal.

Get notified of new replies

To New Corvette Buyer - Need Advice

Old 07-13-2013, 09:01 PM
XFit
Intermediate

Maybe not. But on the flip side for 5k more it looks like I could get a new 13 with warranty. I'll keep researching though.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

see if the dealer will include a 5-yr GMPP with their final price...that's worth about $2K or so, I suspect.

car has low-enough miles to be certified, but not sure of the age limit on that
Old 07-13-2013, 09:51 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

if they come down in price, buy it. with such low miles, you can always mod the hell out of it in due time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Corvette Buyer - Need Advice