C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Museum Visit

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 03:21 AM
Bassprocop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Museum Visit

Headed out in a few hours to Washington DC for vacation. On the way back we are stopping in Bowling Green for our first visit to the museum. Needless to say me and my 12 year old son are super excited about this visit. I wish we were going in the Vette but since its three of us the Tahoe gets the nod. Anything else in BG to see and do?
Old 07-12-2013, 05:03 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Bassprocop
Headed out in a few hours to Washington DC for vacation. On the way back we are stopping in Bowling Green for our first visit to the museum. Needless to say me and my 12 year old son are super excited about this visit. I wish we were going in the Vette but since its three of us the Tahoe gets the nod. Anything else in BG to see and do?
You and your son will really enjoy the museum. You can't park in the special Vette parking spaces with that Tahoe though. I've been thee a couple of times. It would be nice if you could do the assembly tour but I understand they are gearing up for C7 production and that's temporarily closed.

There's really nothing else to do in BG that I know of. I was there on a cruise-in, and we played golf and went to drag races, but both were special because of the cruise-in. BG is a small town ... not much to do there. But it's a nice area.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:30 AM
corvettelover25
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in BG, the question is what do you like to do? BG isn't that small and I think whenever you drive through it you will understand what I mean. Granted it's not New York.... but there's Beech Bend where you can hit the drag strip or the amusement park with roller coasters and a water park, downtown has some decent dining areas and Scottsville Rd is full of restaurants. Mammoth Cave (largest cave system in the world) is about 20 miles up on I-65 North. Lost River Cave-an old Jesse James hideout is 5 miles from the GM plant. Drive in movie theater right about 20 minutes away. If you are into baseball, catch a Bowling Green Hot Rods game which is a minor leage team of the Tampa Bay Rays. There are some decent parks and golf spots. Not a bad bar scene if you are into thatI'm not sure what your interest are and not sure how long you anticipate being in the BG area... If you plan to eat and want any advice on some restaurants in the area let me know.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Bassprocop
Instructor

Thanks guys. I will be there just the ine day because its onoir trip home. I wish I coukd play golf but there is just no time for that. The amusement park thing may be an idea and the wife will like the shopping scene. I am really excited about the museum. We will be in BG after leaving Louisville where we are touring the Louisville Slugger plant. All in all I cant wait to get to the museum . I get a kick out of watching my son take care of my car and Im happy to share this experience with him at the same time. This wont be our last trip to the museum. The next one we take will be in his Corvette and just the two of us. My car will be given to him when he graduates high school but he doesnt know it yet.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Old 07-12-2013, 09:15 AM
corvettelover25
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BG has a decent mall, but if you are going to be in Louisville visit Mall St. Matthews. I think your wife will like shopping there much more! Enjoy the trip!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:36 AM
traveler1
Instructor

Took plant tour an museum tour 2012. We were visiting St Louis and rented a Camaro for drive to Bowling Green, was ok car, anyway went to drag strip while there.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Bassprocop
Instructor

Thats why you would never buy a used ZHZ. Lol.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:07 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Bassprocop
Thanks guys. I will be there just the ine day because its onoir trip home. I wish I coukd play golf but there is just no time for that. The amusement park thing may be an idea and the wife will like the shopping scene. I am really excited about the museum. We will be in BG after leaving Louisville where we are touring the Louisville Slugger plant. All in all I cant wait to get to the museum . I get a kick out of watching my son take care of my car and Im happy to share this experience with him at the same time. This wont be our last trip to the museum. The next one we take will be in his Corvette and just the two of us. My car will be given to him when he graduates high school but he doesnt know it yet.
You'll really like the Louisville Slugger plant tour. Did that several years ago and it was lots of fun. While you're in Louisville, you might check the Art Museum (has a big shuttlecock out front) and go to Churchill Downs ... nice tour there too.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Bassprocop
Instructor

We are going to Churchill Downs. We have a friend that owns race horses and his horse farm is near there. He is taking us on a behind the scenes tour. Should be fun.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:38 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by boraxman
Old 07-13-2013, 09:03 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Kentucky is bourbon country...The Makers Mark distillery is not far from BG (interesting tour). Also, don't miss Chaney's Dairy Barn in BG...try their bourbon flavored ice cream (seriously). It will set you free

Get notified of new replies

To First Museum Visit

Quick Reply: First Museum Visit