Sponsored by:

Pricing ok on a 1969 ?

Old 07-11-2013, 08:59 AM
dxbcamper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pricing ok on a 1969 ?

Hi guys,

I am seriously considering purchasing a 1969 Florida Corvette Coupe and would appreciate some feedback on the price (without seeing pics)

Specs:
1969 Coupe
L46 original engine (clean engine bay)
Black Leather Interior (good condition)
Power Windows
Power Steering
Tilt and Tele Steering
Manual 4 Speed
Factory Side Pipes (unverified)
A/C

All in all, car looks to be in good condition with some surface rust underneath, nothing major as it seems.

What do you think, just by looking at the options....reasonable?

Any advice is highly appreciated....

Regards
Old 07-11-2013, 09:07 AM
GRipp 73
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

It is only worth what you or someone else is willing to pay for it. You also don't mention a price.

Some people might also be effected by colors of the the exterior and the interior.

What is the asking price, and is it worth it to you? That is the real decision.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

What does Florida have to do with anything other than location?

What is the seller asking?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Next to impossible to provide meaningful feedback without pictures. You'd be surprised what some of the eyes on the forum will find.

Last edited by Brcmpbl; 07-11-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:31 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

sure a bunch of florida vette's ...and other cars coming up for sale...lately
Old 07-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi dxbc,
I agree that quite a few pictures are needed to make even a ballpark GUESS on value.
I believe most used cars look better in pictures than they do in person, so pictures can/should only be used to decide if the car is worth seeing in person.
So, more pictures and information?
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-11-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:44 AM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Based off the listed options, good condition, numbers matching motor, I'd put it in the $20-28K range. L46 is a great small block (by the way you could only get a 4-speed with the L46, automatic transmissions were not paired with this motor). Factory sidepipes, in my opinion, are highly desirable. It's funny that it does not have power brakes.

Check for transistorized ignition.

I think paring that price down further will require many pictures on the condition and originality. Clean engine bay could mean all the emissions equipment has been removed. You didn't list an exterior color - black would be very desirable. Post pictures of the trim tag.

Did I mention post pictures?

Peter
Old 07-11-2013, 12:33 PM
dxbcamper
Instructor

Default Thanks for all the feedback

Thanks guys and sorry, I goofed up by not mentioning the price....asking is 21500 (firm).

I honestly dont care too much about originality, provided the era is correct.

I also did not provide a link to the sale ad because I dont know if it would be fair to the seller (he is an extremely nice guy), but I guess it does no harm and I really need the feedback from you. Here it is:

http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/...tte-53327.html

Not too many pictures, but it gives you a general idea. The seller sent me some undercarriage pics but is unable to lift the car.

Two forum members were so kind to offer their assistance in inspecting the car as I do not live in the states (anymore).....if they give me decent feedback, I would organise a professional inspection company (any recommendations???).

So what do you think?

And thanks again, I LOVE this forum....I have been seeing so many for sale ads for the past two years and it hurts to see so many beauties come and go. I am sick of looking and really need to close a deal to combat my midlife crisis

cheers
Old 07-11-2013, 12:35 PM
dxbcamper
Instructor

Another question what I have been contemplating....are Florida cars generally, in terms of rust, ok (like Texas or California cars)? Or is humidity an issue?
Old 07-11-2013, 12:40 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Daytona Yellow, sidepipes and a big block hood, I like it! Looks like Roma's car.

You may not care about originality, but that doesn't mean it is not reflected in the price. It'll also help resale value down the line.

I would verify the factory sidepipes. At the very least make sure there are no cutouts in the rear panels for rear exhaust.

If it were me, and the motor was numbers matching, and was an original sidepipe car, I would have no qualms with $21,500 with what I see listed. I would 100% check it out with intentions to buy.

edit: By the way, it has power brakes.

2nd edit: Is the trim tag painted over? Have you confirmed the colors?

Last edited by LeMans Pete; 07-11-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: brakes
Old 07-11-2013, 12:43 PM
dxbcamper
Instructor

Originally Posted by LeMans Pete
Daytona Yellow, sidepipes and a big block hood, I like it! Looks like Roma's car.

You may not care about originality, but that doesn't mean it is not reflected in the price. It'll also help resale value down the line.

I would verify the factory sidepipes. At the very least make sure there are no cutouts in the rear panels for rear exhaust.

If it were me, and the motor was numbers matching, and was an original sidepipe car, I would have no qualms with $21,500 with what I see listed. I would 100% check it out with intentions to buy.

Thanks Pete, no cutouts in the rear. Already checked that......how else can I verify factory pipes?

And yes, for me the car looks great, although my wife hates the color. But then, who the heck cares what the wife thinks
Old 07-11-2013, 12:50 PM
dxbcamper
Instructor

funny you mention roma....I see him lots on the German corvette forum....the world is very small after all...
Old 07-11-2013, 01:58 PM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't like that firm price stuff, but I am a cheap b---tard
Old 07-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,424 Likes on 773 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I thought the description sounded familiar. I've been contemplating taking a ride over and looking at this one. It's about an hour's drive away. Here's the CL ad.

http://panamacity.craigslist.org/cto/3868089540.html
Old 07-11-2013, 02:15 PM
dxbcamper
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
I thought the description sounded familiar. I've been contemplating taking a ride over and looking at this one. It's about an hour's drive away. Here's the CL ad.

http://panamacity.craigslist.org/cto/3868089540.html
as long as you don"t buy her

would appreciate feedback if you drive by, though

cheers
Old 07-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
The car looks very nice in the pictures!.
To me it seems to be too little money for a 350/350, 4-speed, a/c, side exhaust car that has the engine it left St.Louis with and is painted in it's original color.
So MAYBE neither of those things are true for this car, BUT, that might not matter to you.
Arriving at a value becomes more difficult with a less original car, but the value will be less so that makes the car an interesting buy for certain people.
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-11-2013, 02:50 PM
dxbcamper
Instructor

thanks guys.....nobody knows if the color is original because the trim tag, for some reason, is missing. lets assume the engine is NOM and those are not factory pipes. would you say it is still a good deal? also assuming that car runs fine and no major defects on other parts.

I need to cough up an extra 2-3 thousand min. for shipping, customs, conversion, so I need to buy well and carefully.

Get notified of new replies

To Pricing ok on a 1969 ?

Old 07-11-2013, 03:04 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,318 Likes on 2,767 Posts

Originally Posted by dxbcamper
thanks guys.....nobody knows if the color is original because the trim tag, for some reason, is missing. lets assume the engine is NOM and those are not factory pipes. would you say it is still a good deal? also assuming that car runs fine and no major defects on other parts.

I need to cough up an extra 2-3 thousand min. for shipping, customs, conversion, so I need to buy well and carefully.
I'll go against the grain and say no. No trim tag, assuming NOM, 21.5 for a coupe? Not me.

Not enough pictures either... from what I can see the intake at least is wrong, and I have a feeling there's other stuff changed under there.

It might be the car for you, but to answer your question, not a particularly good deal.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:14 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by dxbcamper

Based on that criteria, no. The missing trim tag hurts the value to anyone who would want to go the numbers matching route with this car. NOM would be a big knock on this car as well. The sidepipes look good and add value whether they are original or not.

I would not pay more than $16,000 for a NOM L46 in that condition.

PM sent.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:35 PM
dxbcamper
Instructor

The NOM engine assumption was MY assumption, because I have not seen any engine # nor do I have any info on the #. so I am just going by that assumption, although the seller thinks it is original. But "thinkïng" it is original is not enough I guess. I was really disappointed when he informed me the trim tag was missing.

If it turns out the engine checks original, would you guys consider a price tag of lets say 20 grand ok? I haven"t seen too many chrome bumpers on here for less than 20k which LOOK half as decent as this car.

darn, I was soooooooooo much hoping I would get 100% positive feedback on the car :-( my second thoughts are now coming back, and I hate that feeling!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pricing ok on a 1969 ?