C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*&^%$@!?$!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:24 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Default *&^%$@!?$!

I've had my carbon fiber splitter on the car for ONE $#@!*%#! WEEK.

I've been very careful.

Last night I got in a position where I had to traverse a slightly up hill driveway. Creeping at .0001 mph, I heard the splitter touch the drive, so I backed up, and entered from a different entrance.

I'm saying that the "scrape" was barely (and I'm not exaggerating) audible,

Parked the car and inspected the splitter. No scrape marks, but the GD splitter is cracked.

I am PIZZED OFF.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Yep. You have tone careful. I could not have my splitter as I do if it was not so flat in Florida. I scrap my side skirts on speed bumps and inclines all the time.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:43 AM
noz34me
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure that's why the OE part is rubber- - not trying to be a smartass, but why would you put something that low on the car that can't bend? All the carbon fiber pieces I've seen are pretty stiff.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:49 AM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroRod
I've had my carbon fiber splitter on the car for ONE $#@!*%#! WEEK.

I've been very careful.

Last night I got in a position where I had to traverse a slightly up hill driveway. Creeping at .0001 mph, I heard the splitter touch the drive, so I backed up, and entered from a different entrance.

I'm saying that the "scrape" was barely (and I'm not exaggerating) audible,

Parked the car and inspected the splitter. No scrape marks, but the GD splitter is cracked.

I am PIZZED OFF.

Im not sure on gods green earth why anyone would ever purchase with actual money one of these CF splitters you are talking about. Seriously man, did you think that out of the how many corvettes sold, that yours would be one that would never scrape on something??? Sorry, but you will get no mercy from anyone here. We all go through splitters and airdams like we change our oil.

So you learned your lesson. Please dont repeat the lesson again with a new splitter.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:52 AM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by noz34me
I'm sure that's why the OE part is rubber- - not trying to be a smartass, but why would you put something that low on the car that can't bend? All the carbon fiber pieces I've seen are pretty stiff.

I am not trying to be a smartass either,but what did you expect?
I don't understand why someone would want to make their car undrivable on public roads by adding things like this or lowering them to the point you can't even drive it without destroying something.
Do people with lowered cars have to map out where they go in advance to make sure the roads are smooth and flat with no bumps?
Are looks really that important over driveability?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:57 AM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Ok...I for one feel bad for you....but gheesh what do you expect?

Those splitters are millimeters off the ground...and what performance improvement did you see?....

You may be pizzed off but.....
Old 07-11-2013, 07:57 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Originally Posted by C6RaceCar
Im not sure on gods green earth why anyone would ever purchase with actual money one of these CF splitters you are talking about. Seriously man, did you think that out of the how many corvettes sold, that yours would be one that would never scrape on something??? Sorry, but you will get no mercy from anyone here. We all go through splitters and airdams like we change our oil.

So you learned your lesson. Please dont repeat the lesson again with a new splitter.
Oh......... I've learned my lesson. And it will be an expensive one, as I will have to repair the holes in the front fascia, and repaint.
The car sits at stock height, and the rubber spoiler under the chin scrapes all the time, too. Those are fairly inexpensive to replace, but this $#@!(*^ thin, pos part should have a federal warning with it.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a very steep driveway. I also have a splitter and a 1.25" drop on stock bolts. The only way to avoid cracked splitter syndrome is to use this method. I actually get both passenger side tires on the grass before starting my turn. Backing out is the same way... 2 tires in the grass. Same for any speedbumps, inclines of any kind. Take them SIDEWAYS. (And try to avoid road kill. )

Last edited by Luster; 07-11-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:07 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Sorry about the splitter. That is one reason I never wanted to put one on my car (my car is lowered btw).
Old 07-11-2013, 08:13 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Originally Posted by Luster
I have a very steep driveway. I also have a splitter and a 1.5" drop on stock bolts. The only way to avoid cracked splitter syndrome is to use this method. I actually get both passenger side tires on the grass before starting my turn. Backing out is the same way... 2 tires in the grass. Same for any speedbumps, inclines of any kind. Take them SIDEWAYS.

Been using this technique for years, too.
The impact that resulted in the crack did not even leave a scrape mark on the splitter. It just popped it, I guess?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 AM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroRod
Been using this technique for years, too.
The impact that resulted in the crack did not even leave a scrape mark on the splitter. It just popped it, I guess?
Yeah, I'm just waiting for the time when I get zapped.

Too bad none of the vendors make a splitter out of the same material that the air dam is made of (polyurethane/plastic?). It may not look quite as good, but the durability would be great.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:29 AM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Sorry to hear your splitter is damaged but I can tell you from experience that you will never have a problem with it if you relocate to sunny warm no snow no ice paradise FL. Where's the bad in that?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:31 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

That's why I painted my stock splitter Cyber Gray...
Sorry to hear of your troubles
Old 07-11-2013, 08:36 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Wow I feel for you
Old 07-11-2013, 08:43 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

So much for that "strong" carbon fiber. Or, is it faux?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:13 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Been contemplating putting a splitter on and side skirts for years now, but haven't for this exact reason. $600-700 lessons are not the type I like to learn. Good luck with the repair, and I for one can sympathize with you. I worry about enough stuff everytime I take it out, don't need another.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:17 AM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615

I don't understand why someone would want to make their car undrivable on public roads by adding things like this or lowering them to the point you can't even drive it without destroying something.
Do people with lowered cars have to map out where they go in advance to make sure the roads are smooth and flat with no bumps?

Get notified of new replies

To *&^%$@!?$!

Old 07-11-2013, 09:19 AM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
That's why I painted my stock splitter Cyber Gray...
Sorry to hear of your troubles
Good idea! Stock is fine cheap to replace if you have too!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

CF splitter/side skirts? What do you expect. Also, LOL at those lowering the Car. My GS is stock height/body wise. And, I am constantly watching where I drive.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:25 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

No maps, but I do know how to avoid trouble. For example, I will pick a gas station that has a flat entrance vs. one with an inclined apron of some sort. Avoid areas and parking lots with speedbumps; however, those really are not that bad, unless they are abnormally tall. My subframe on my daily driver is 2.5" off the ground, so I suppose I'm accustomed to the driving style. All in all its really not that as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Just have to be more alert. In actuality, even at stock height, I drove the same way.

Both are important to me, and as low as I am, there is no compromise in driveablity. You just have to know how to drive a lowered vehicle. I really don't scrape the splitter, and have had no issues other than minor rubbing at the wheel well liners during hard driving in mountains, track, etc.

The most dramatic and aggressive improvement you can make on a C6 is to lower it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *&^%$@!?$!