Painting Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 09:43 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Painting Question

This is regarding my '81:
Is is better to paint the urethene bumper covers off or on the car?

I was going to remove the doors so I can get the paint out of the door jambs and off the hinges. The doors are gutted. Is it better to paint the car with doors on or off??

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:39 PM
Vinnievega
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Generally when talking about any bumper it is always better to spray it off of the car. First make sure you get the bumper on and fitted perfectly, making all modifications, and getting the lines to fit just right and then pop it off, spray it, and even cut/ buff it off of the car. If you are trying to get your door jambs perfect you will need to remove the doors, if the door jambs already look good leave them on. It's all a matter of how far you would like to take it. I personally am going to be spraying each panel off of the car, and the body will actually be removed from the chassis.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:43 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

I usually paint the jambs with the doors off, then install the door and align them. Do any finish work that is necessary to them and then prime and paint. Make sure you mask the jamb.
As for the bumpers, loosen them so you can pull them away from the body a little then paint them.

Get notified of new replies

To Painting Question

Quick Reply: Painting Question