C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

hard cold start

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 02:39 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Default hard cold start

thought I had the starting probs solved with a IAC reset but it seems it takes a few seconds to go in the morning and then fine all day after...the check engine light comes on with the cold start but if I restart it immediately it goes out...unfortunately i have the hyper chip so I can't see the code it threw....reading the forums, i'm thinking I have a leaking injector...or a bad fuel pump....don't really hear anything when I turn the key on....100.ooo miles so maybe a new fuel pump would help...are there any better grade pumps to use?? don't think it' injectors since no evidence of gas smells or gas in the engine area...are there any additives for injectors that are worth the money?
Old 06-27-2013, 06:19 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Normally my first suggestion would be the FPR leaking fuel into the vacuum line.

But on that year car (86) fuel injectors come to mind since they cause hard starting, poor idle and bad running.
If it is the injectors, they are just probably just warn out due to age and usage.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:56 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Cold start injector comes to my mind.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:00 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

I have a 85....and not too long...help me out a little... a cold start injector?...Car starts immediately after initial cold start.. and perfectdly the rest of the day..what's making the service engine come on"..what in this system will throw a code?....
Old 06-28-2013, 03:22 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by playsdixie
..what's making the service engine come on"..what in this system will throw a code?....
Why can't you pull the codes?

...Car starts immediately after initial cold start.. and perfectdly the rest of the day...
Even when the engine is dead cold again ?

.a cold start injector?..
On drv side of the intake
Sprays extra fuel in while cranking over on cold starts ( like a choke on carby car ) .
Operated by a thermal switch at the front of the intake

Old 06-28-2013, 08:02 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

thanks for the picture...is this hard to replace?...I have 100,000 miles on it. I can't pull the code due to the hyperchip I installled...I may have to take it out although it works so well with performance and keeping the engine temps down....it's a pain to get at in a 85with help from you guys, i've been able to work on problems with it without pulling codes.
although it seems the more I get into it, the more I need to be a NASA engineer...so, is there a test to the cold start injector??? if it wasn't working, would it throw a code...?

Get notified of new replies

To hard cold start

Quick Reply: hard cold start