C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuse/relay for the power steering assist?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 02:39 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Fuse/relay for the power steering assist?

Does anyone know if there is a fuse or relay for the power steering assist (I believe its called magnasteer)?

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2013, 02:44 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by el es tu
Does anyone know if there is a fuse or relay for the power steering assist (I believe its called magnasteer)?

Thanks!

Wasn't even aware vettes have steering assist.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:43 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Never mind.

I misunderstood the question. My apologies for my confusion.

Last edited by RicK T; 07-02-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: delete orig answer
Old 06-27-2013, 09:08 PM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C6's do have variable assist power steering, there is an electrical connector going to the rack.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:05 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by marc8090
C6's do have variable assist power steering, there is an electrical connector going to the rack.
Yep

Some cars that have it, have a fuse specifically for it. I dont think the c6 has a specific fuse for it, but maybe one thats used for several items.

btw Im trying to find out because my new steering rack is harder to turn (while stopped) than my old one, ps pump was tested and its fine, so Id like to rule everything out before removing the rack and having to return it.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

In 2008, the cars got several upgrades to the steering system; our 2009 is much lighter and more precise than our previous 2006.

Most of the upgrades can't be used on the previous cars, but the 2005-2007 replacement racks are supposed to be made with the tighter tolerances. If nothing else gets changed, that might cause an increase in steering effort.
Maybe.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:50 PM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the factory shop manual : "the variable effort steering (VES) system uses the electronic brake control module (EBCM) to control current to a bi-directional electromagnetic rotary actuator." That is also what the electrical schematic shows. I'm gonna guess no separate fuse for just the rack.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:48 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

looks like Im going to have to keep checking for the cause...

thanks for the replies!

Old 07-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Pull the ABS fuses and the steering assist will go away. The signals come from the EBCM. If it is dead the steering assist will be dead. You will have a few lights and messages but the car can still be safely driven and you can see how it drives without the steering assist being on. If there is no difference then you have an issue with the rack. Another way to do that is to pull the connector going to the rack but you have to get under the car to do that.

Bill
Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Pull the ABS fuses and the steering assist will go away. The signals come from the EBCM. If it is dead the steering assist will be dead. You will have a few lights and messages but the car can still be safely driven and you can see how it drives without the steering assist being on. If there is no difference then you have an issue with the rack. Another way to do that is to pull the connector going to the rack but you have to get under the car to do that.

Bill
Interesting. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:01 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill

Thanks for the info - I can reach the connector from the top so Ill give that a try. Is this going to need a code reset after I plug it back in?

Get notified of new replies

To Fuse/relay for the power steering assist?

Quick Reply: Fuse/relay for the power steering assist?