C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I disable OnStar? They're spying on me!

Old 06-25-2013, 06:19 PM
StuSegal
47 yrs of Vettes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can I disable OnStar? They're spying on me!

My new Grand Sport which I picked up from Kerbeck's final C6 inventory came with OnStar (my '06, which I ordered from the factory, did not).

So, at the one month interval, today, they sent me an email entitled "Your June OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics report from your Chevrolet Corvette Coupe", in which they tell me my mileage, my oil life, the condition of my airbags, etc.

WHO THE HELL ARE THESE PEOPLE TO BE GATHERING INFORMATION FROM MY VEHICLE???? CAN I SHUT IT OFF???

My position is this - - I've been driving for 46 years, and have been driving Vettes for 41 years . . . . and somehow have been able to successfully own, drive and maintain my cars without anyone covertly gathering data on the cars. I can track my own information just fine.

As to the other features, I have an iPhone, and a Nav system . . . so why do I need OnStar?

Can you guys enlighten me? Am I just being paranoid for no reason?

Thanks . . . Stu
Old 06-25-2013, 06:21 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I didnt like it either, but like the rest of life, big brother is watching. after six months when the trial ends, they wont send you reports anymore, just offers ot renew, lol. some have ripped the boxes out. others dotn drive their car in fear of the box. Me, i just drive it. if they contact me without authorization we got problems.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:28 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by StuSegal

Am I just being paranoid for no reason?

Stu
Yes.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Ryan5508
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mind the reports so much. Yet when my free subscription ends I definitely don't want to hear from them anymore. If they pop in one time while I'm driving the entire systems getting disconnected.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Why don't you just pull the OnStar fuse?

EDIT: You think it is annoying that they email you reports about your car? Wait until they call you through OnStar with no warning, no nothing, someone just starts talking and that person is trying to get you to provide a credit card number.

Last edited by Homer3D; 06-25-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

I do believe you can hit the 'blue' button and tell them that you want permanently disconnected from their system. Ordered my '05' without OnStar as well.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:52 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,243 Likes on 704 Posts

You can slide the onstar box to the right and it will come off the windshield. Then pull the wires out of the window trim until you see the connection and unplug it. Bye, bye Onstar...
Old 06-25-2013, 06:53 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

WHO THE HELL ARE THESE PEOPLE TO BE GATHERING INFORMATION FROM MY VEHICLE???? CAN I SHUT IT OFF???

Thanks . . . Stu
Just out of curiosity what the hell does it matter. I have had it for 2 years and I could care less if they tracked me to Harlem picking up hookers and buying blow. Is your life going to change because they know how many miles or how much oil life is left on your car. Gimme a break. They could care less what your doing!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:58 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by red2012
Just out of curiosity what the hell does it matter. I have had it for 2 years and I could care less if they tracked me to Harlem picking up hookers and buying blow. Is your life going to change because they know how many miles or how much oil life is left on your car. Gimme a break. They could care less what your doing!
Remember a few years ago they (GM) were going to collect data from your Onstar box unless you opted out (even if you weren't subscribed) and there was such an outcry about it, they dropped that idea? You can believe if they were going to go to all the effort to do that, someone was going to pay them for that information....

Last edited by R&L's C6; 06-25-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:05 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Remember a few years ago it they (GM) were going to collect data from your Onstar box unless you opted out (even if you weren't subscribed) and there was such an outcry about it they dropped the that idea? You can believe if they were going to go to all the effort to do that, someone was going to pay them for that information....
Randy let me put it to you this way. In all the years you have been on this forum have you ever heard of onstar affecting someones life? ( in a bad way ) If you have I would like to hear the story.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:13 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Randy let me put it to you this way. In all the years you have been on this forum have you ever heard of onstar affecting someones life? ( in a bad way ) If you have I would like to hear the story.
I have not, but it's not hard to imagine how easy it would be for insurance companies to match up VIN#s and recorded speeds. You have to believe there was a reason they wanted to track all onstar boxes if you were subscribed or not. What reason other than to gather information and sell it?

I try not to wear a tinfoil cap, but with all the invasion of privacy going on lately, I have several on hand....

Last edited by R&L's C6; 06-25-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

OP Are you using a proxy server for posting and searching Corvette Form?

Big Brother is here.

Yes, do a search on this forum. I have seen a step by step on how to remove the module and the antenna so On Star does not communicate.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:16 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

The US government is spying on you and knows more about you than your mother, and you complain about OnStar?
Old 06-25-2013, 07:16 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
OP Are you using a proxy server for posting and searching Corvette Form?

Big Brother is here.

Yes, do a search on this forum. I have seen a step by step on how to remove the module and the antenna so On Star does not communicate.
Sad, but true....
Old 06-25-2013, 07:32 PM
StuSegal
47 yrs of Vettes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I try not to wear a tinfoil cap, but with all the invasion of privacy going on lately, I have several on hand....
Right on brother! If back in the 50's someone told you that the government was logging your every phone call, and GM knew exactly where your car was every minute of every day, you would have said, "IMPOSSIBLE, this is America, not Russia!"

I also have not wrapped my head in tinfoil, but I am so disgusted with invasions of privacy that I can't control, that I want to at least minimize those that I can.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:38 PM
red2012
Safety Car

If your cell phone is on ( which most people do ) you can be tracked. And your worried about onstar?
Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 PM
StuSegal
47 yrs of Vettes
Support Corvetteforum!

If your cell phone is on ( which most people do ) you can be tracked. And your worried about onstar?
Actually, yes. I am bothered by things like EZPass, and OnStar, which are attached to the vehicle and can be used to track speed.

And before you call me crazy, how is it different from the "red light cameras" just installed in my state? They can't detect who is driving the vehicle, but they can detect when the vehicle breaks the law (runs a red light), and they issue the ticket to the owner of the car.

If that is legal, do you rule out the possibility that eventually EZPass and OnStar (and maybe other devices, like cellphones) will be used to determine if a vehicle is breaking the law?

Get notified of new replies

To Can I disable OnStar? They're spying on me!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:49 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Actually, yes. I am bothered by things like EZPass, and OnStar, which are attached to the vehicle and can be used to track speed.

And before you call me crazy, how is it different from the "red light cameras" just installed in my state? They can't detect who is driving the vehicle, but they can detect when the vehicle breaks the law (runs a red light), and they issue the ticket to the owner of the car.

If that is legal, do you rule out the possibility that eventually EZPass and OnStar (and maybe other devices, like cellphones) will be used to determine if a vehicle is breaking the law?

What an easy way to raise revenue.... seat belt unlatched-ticket, exceeded speed limit-ticket, excessive acceleration-ticket. No, we're not there yet, but we are heading there if we let it happen.

Last edited by R&L's C6; 06-25-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:56 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really? I bet you're one of those that blanks out his license plate when you post pictures of your Vette even though 8 million people see it on the road every day.
Jest messin with ya!...
Old 06-25-2013, 08:01 PM
red2012
Safety Car

The fact of the matter is a red light camera IS catching you doing something illegal. Whats the difference if a cop or a camera is posted on the corner. Don't go thru the red light and you have no worries. Right now Onstar and EZ-PASS are doing nothing to get you in trouble so what is your worry. Your making up hypothetical situations that don't exist and until that time arrives lighten up. EZ-PASS AND ONSTAR DON'T TRACK OR CARE WHAT YOU DO!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I disable OnStar? They're spying on me!