Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Grand Am/ALMS Merger Race Schedule

Old 06-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 263 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default 2014 Grand Am/ALMS Merger Race Schedule

2014 Grand Am/ALMS Merger Race Schedule
Hello All,
Just wanted to post up the following; During the Detroit Grand Prix, the new ALMS/Grand Am chief briefed the Corvette Corral attendees on the ALMS/Grand Am merger known as United SportsCar Racing. The briefing went on to explain some of the benefits of the merger and the resources that NASCAR brings to the table that will make the series strong, (NASCAR Grand Am connection).
During the “”Q&A” session we learned that there will be 10-12 race schedule and these race venues will be in “Key Markets” which were yet to be announced with the exception that California was consider a . “Key Market” for sports car sales.
2014 United SportsCar Racing Schedule
Since the Detroit Grand Prix race dates are in the month of June, and the 24 Hours of Le Mans race is also the month of June, any thoughts that sports car racing returning to Belle Isle in Detroit for 2014 would be very slim in my view. It is simply a matter of logistics. Having race cars/teams at Le Mans and Detroit during June would be hard to justify the $$$$ spent. (no C7R’s lapping Belle Isle in 2014 as they will be in France)!
Looking forward to the 2014 race schedule of 10-12 races, we know some races have already been confirmed at the DGP Corvette Corral briefing due to Global viewership (Televising) the below four races.
JAN> 24 hours of Daytona January 25-26, 2014
MAR> 12 Hours Of Sebring
JUN> 24 Hours Le Mans
OCT> Petit Le Mans
Doing the math of race schedule of 10-12 races, there are 6 to 8 possible venue dates. As California is considered a. “Key Market” for sports car sales, I would not be surprised to see Long Beach and Monterey on the 2014 schedule. OK, so now we are down to 4 to 6 possible venue dates.
Now looking forward to 2014, my venue picks are based on a 10 race schedule and here are my picks;
JAN> 24 hours of Daytona
MAR> 12 Hours Of Sebring
APR> Long Beach Grand Prix Circuit
MAY> Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Monterey, Calif.
JUN> 24 Hours Le Mans France
JUL> Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Indy
AUG> Grand Prix of Baltimore Circuit - Baltimore, Md
AUG> Road America, Elkhart Lake, WI
SEP> Circuit of the Americas, Austin, Texas
OCT> Petit Le Mans
Now I would not consider myself as the “sharpest knife in the kitchen” therefore, it would be most interesting for the Forum to post up their picks for the 2014 racing schedule.
Looking forward to the posts!
Cheers,
Kevin
Old 06-05-2013, 12:57 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Going to be crazy to not see mid-ohio or Mosport on the list.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:26 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Montreal ??
Old 06-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

I suspect the Sahlen's 6 Hours of the Glen event at the end of June will be on the schedule. GrandAm has been running there since its inception and the track is owned by International Speedway Corp which as you know is owned by the France family. I don't see them doing anything to take a major race away from their track.

Bill
Old 06-05-2013, 03:10 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I suspect the Sahlen's 6 Hours of the Glen event at the end of June will be on the schedule. GrandAm has been running there since its inception and the track is owned by International Speedway Corp which as you know is owned by the France family. I don't see them doing anything to take a major race away from their track.

Bill
Agreed. Hard to see the Glen not being on the schedule. I'd lose one of the street circuits. Maybe rotate them so each venue gets a race every other year.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Other than Daytona and Indy, looks like a typical ALMS schedule. Thought there would be a better mix of both schedules.

However I do not at all care for the Glenn short course. Would rather see them on the full thing.

Last edited by heavychevy; 06-05-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:19 AM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Schedule

You might see a third race in California at Sonoma Raceway (Infineon, Sears Point). This is a NASCAR owner track also.ALMS was there until 2004 or 2005.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:27 AM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty sure Mosport (Now called Canadian Tire Motorsports Park) will remain on the schedule since it's an original track for ALMS.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:57 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I hope they do away with Lime Rock on the ALMS schedule. Do away with Barber, Belle Isle, Kansas, and Mid Ohio on Grand Am.

Keep Daytona, Sebring, The Glen, Baltimore, Circuit Americas, Leguna Seca, and Petit.

So that is 7 races that are in my opinion a definite and they said around 10, but they have Le Mans in June.

I will say that the first race at Daytona is going to be weird, seeing DP's with LMP's and different GT categories. I wonder if the top ALMS GT cars can outpace or compete with the DP's.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 263 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Road America

GRAND-AM / AMERICAN LE MANS SERIES
AUGUST 8-11

The newly formed GRAND-AM / ALMS Series takes over Road America's 4-mile circuit for what will be the most incredible weekend of sports car racing in the world. Fans will get to see the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series race on Saturday, Aug. 10, with ALMS presented by Tequila Patron race on Sunday. Fan activities include an open grid, autographs, tech talks, fan forums, car corrals, and Tour de RA bike event.

https://www.roadamerica.com/Races/Ra...ion.asp?id=245
Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Other than Daytona and Indy, looks like a typical ALMS schedule. Thought there would be a better mix of both schedules.

However I do not at all care for the Glenn short course. Would rather see them on the full thing.

Currently Grand Am runs the long course unless they are there for the NASCAR weekend.

Bill
Old 06-06-2013, 09:20 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I dont see them going back to Baltimore

and there will be a lot of pissed off people if a place like a roval at KC gets a race and a place like Road America gets taken off the schedule.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:05 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Mid-Ohio and VIR have to be on there.

Street courses suck. Please get rid of them.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:08 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I wonder if the top ALMS GT cars can outpace or compete with the DP's.
I would bet that they tweak the rules to give the DPs a distinct advantage.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:10 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by 69
GRAND-AM / AMERICAN LE MANS SERIES
AUGUST 8-11

The newly formed GRAND-AM / ALMS Series takes over Road America's 4-mile circuit for what will be the most incredible weekend of sports car racing in the world. Fans will get to see the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series race on Saturday, Aug. 10, with ALMS presented by Tequila Patron race on Sunday. Fan activities include an open grid, autographs, tech talks, fan forums, car corrals, and Tour de RA bike event.

https://www.roadamerica.com/Races/Ra...ion.asp?id=245
That'll be awesome to watch the times of each class!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:49 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jcsperson
Mid-Ohio and VIR have to be on there.

Street courses suck. Please get rid of them.
I am not a fan of watching street courses on TV, but when you go in person, they are a LOT more fun than seeing races at a road course some 1/8 mile away behind a fence on top of a hill. In Baltimore you could stand right next to the barriers. If you could fit your hands through the fence you could almost touch the cars going by. I mean the cars were doing 140mph only a few feet away. They have cafe's lined up along the front strait so you can eat a sandwich, have a beer and see LMP's blow by you 3-4 feet away.

Best race experience I have ever had in 20 years, the whole family had a good time, lots to do for the kids as well.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:03 PM
HandsomeMike
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love street courses and I hope they keep going to Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham. Great place to watch a race.

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 Grand Am/ALMS Merger Race Schedule

Old 06-07-2013, 03:47 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by shakedown067
That'll be awesome to watch the times of each class!
That will be cool

New organization might use that to equalize the cars then.

Hope they give more power to the Grand AM DPs and not take away from the ALMS P2s
Old 06-07-2013, 11:40 PM
CalixEros
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
It better be; that's always my favorite race to see at The Glen.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:32 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

would be an act of terror if Road america gets taken off schedule

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Grand Am/ALMS Merger Race Schedule