C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Run Flats worth It?

Old 06-24-2013, 11:56 AM
06montyred
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are Run Flats worth It?

I have been watching this forum for 6 years and learned a lot from everyone here. So I thought that I might post my first time. Was out this weekend in the Sierra Nevada Mts near Yosemite Park on a great corvette road. Was having a great drive when I came around a corner and was not able to miss a huge chuck hole in the road. Hit it really hard and then started to worry. Checked the tire pressures on the DIC and looked ok. Only lasted a mile and then the right front tire started going down. Got to my destination shortly after that and started to check the tire. Found a hole in the side wall about the size of a screw driver blade. Tried the fix a flat and added air but it came out as fast as it went in. Headed for home late Friday night, (The owner manual says you can drive on a flat tire) I was 90 miles from home. 45 miles was on the mountain road with twists and turns the whole way. Just stayed at 25 or 30 mile per hour and the second 45 was on the highway and drove at 50 mph. Got home and checked the tire and it still looked as good as when I started. My faith in the Run Flats from Firestone sure was tested but they came thru for me. Now to the tire store and replace the tire and have some more driving time. (of course it was the new tire I replace last year because a big screw in the sidewall)
Just thought that some would like to know that the run flats perform like the should!!!!
Old 06-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

They are to me. Approximately 5K to 6K of my 8K miles a year in my C6 are driven on the interstate at 70-75 MPH. I've had 2 flats on the interstate in 6 years.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Yellow 2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never had to use them on any of my Corvettes but I did have a flat on my BMW 6 Series convertible. The only indication was the warning light. Drove home with no problems. Peace of mind is great.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:27 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh no.............!!
Old 06-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,439 Likes on 778 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I have Firestone rft's, and your story confirms why I have them...you never know where you may be when you get a flat - out in the middle of nowhere at night, in a downpoar...who knows. I would hate to think of my wife being out on some lone highway late at night, and getting out of the car to mess around with "fix a flat" cans etc. I would feel much better knowing that she can continue to drive on, at least to somewhere where she could get some help.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:39 PM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I hate stories like this, makes me second guess switching away from run flats......thanks for sharing though.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:43 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Definitely worth it to me. I've had 4 flats in the last 6 years. The fact that the tire is just much stronger overall doesn't hurt either. One time, I made a 3 hour drive between TX and LA heading back for the weekend to see family. While there, I realized I had a large nail stuck in my tire. It was actually there for a while as I was loosing about 1 PSI or so every 3- 4 days for weeks before. I made the drive back to TX and had it repaired during the week with no problems.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:44 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Worth it to me, a great piece of mind when traveling.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:59 PM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Worth it here! With this type of car and wheels,
I wouldn't want to increase the risk of damage and
possibly being stranded if I can avoid it.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:59 PM
dlparsons
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got five cars, two horse trailers, a boat trailer and a race trailer. In the past 5 years, I've had two flats and a busted wheel bearing. None of them have run-flats on them. The only issues I've had on my cars have been slow leaks so far (probably jinxing myself, knocking on wood now...). I carry a tire repair kit in my 'Vette. I'll take the risk of a flat vs the better ride of the non-run flat tire myself, not to mention that I can buy another tire for the savings going non-run flat. I will mention though, I live and travel on the east coast and am rarely more than a few miles from civilization. If I lived in the middle of TX where you may go hours without seeing another car, I may have a different opinion, but here in the mid-atlantic, it's pretty much impossible to go anywhere that you don't run into a human on a regular basis.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 PM
ALLEN007
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 44 Posts

I just made my decision and went with Michelin Run Flats. Non RF's were on the car when I bought it. I was about to make a trip to Kentucky and kept picturing myself stuck on the interstate waiting for a flatbed truck for hours. I think if I knew I would be only driving local I would get non RF's. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 06montyred
...Got home and checked the tire and it still looked as good as when I started...
Thanks, I really appreciated hearing about your experience.

I purchased a new '13 GS a few months ago. It came stock with Goodyear F1 Run-Flats. Since I never owned a car without a spare before, I wondered if these tires would really get me to safety, and avoid an expensive flat bed tow. Apparently they do work, and work well. I now have a lot more confidence.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:56 PM
C6Whatever
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I have RF on my car and I do feel more comfortable having them. Being a woman and the fact that I like to travel alone sometimes makes it better for me and my hatband. At least it is one less thing that could leave me on the side of the road by myself.

Lisa
Old 06-24-2013, 02:01 PM
BadgeZ28
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have run flats, but this thread got me thinking when I last had a flat tire. The best I can remember it was over 30 years ago. I guess I am lucky?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BadgeZ28
I have run flats, but this thread got me thinking when I last had a flat tire. The best I can remember it was over 30 years ago. I guess I am lucky?
I agree, flats are much less frequent today, than they were many years ago. However, the thought of a flat tire, here in south Florida, on I-95, on a 94 degree July day, and waiting for a flat bed, is any driver's nightmare.

I'll stay with the RF tires, ..nice feeling of confidence.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:17 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by dvilin
Worth it to me, a great piece of mind when traveling.
My feelings exactly. There are enough other things that can go wrong (like a gas pedal sensor near Albany) that will severely limit a trip, and eliminating one such as tires is a good thing. To me.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:55 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take the other side...I never have flat tires and consider run flats to be far too expensive, do not last, make a lot of noise and after 50% tread is gone, really poor traction. I have been running Hankooks for over 2 years and could not be happier. I do carry a small compressor and a can of gook but I also have the best AAA program, and like, I said, I am not flat prone....I also do not wear a tin foil hat!

Get notified of new replies

To Are Run Flats worth It?

Old 06-24-2013, 03:01 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Run flats are the only thing I would use on the Vette. I have no desire to be caught out in the middle of nowhere at 3AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,439 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by KX
I take the other side...I never have flat tires and consider run flats to be far too expensive, do not last, make a lot of noise and after 50% tread is gone, really poor traction. I have been running Hankooks for over 2 years and could not be happier. I do carry a small compressor and a can of gook but I also have the best AAA program, and like, I said, I am not flat prone....I also do not wear a tin foil hat!
If everything you are saying about RF's is true, you must have had VERY POOR quality rft's on your car. I have rft's, and they are quiet and smooth. As for not lasting, I have read a lot of posts on CF about owners getting 25,000 to 30,000 miles out of them (brands other than GY's)
Old 06-24-2013, 03:52 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
If everything you are saying about RF's is true, you must have had VERY POOR quality rft's on your car. I have rft's, and they are quiet and smooth. As for not lasting, I have read a lot of posts on CF about owners getting 25,000 to 30,000 miles out of them (brands other than GY's)
Firstly, I drive my car...it is not a garage queen. The poor quality is correct, OEM Goodyears! Enough said. As far as 25k to 30k, we all drive differently. I am not a kid driver nor am I a granny type...I just drive, do not lay rubber, etc. Each to his her own but you have my experience. Another note: Corvette puts crap Goodyear run flats on and Cadillac [on a less expensive car] puts on Michelin ZP tires.....!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are Run Flats worth It?