C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c5 questions

Old 06-21-2013, 01:20 AM
theoldmusicman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c5 questions

OK, I'm new to the forum so if I post in the wrong place please tell me. I just bought a 97 vette in real good condition, but with a few strange problems. The horn doesn't work, the lights on the light/cruise control arm don't work, the lights on the wiper arm don't work, and the 2 seat memory buttons don't seem to work. Also the fog/driving lights don't work. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 06-21-2013, 02:01 AM
theoldmusicman
Advanced

Just discovered that the drivers seat will go forward but not back....
Old 06-21-2013, 03:51 PM
theoldmusicman
Advanced

I did start with the fuse box under the hood. I know there had to be another one somewhere. Thanks for the point! I would have never thought of looking there for it. I'll check there this evening. Feel like it have to be a power issue since nothing on the steering column works.

No it did not come with a manual. I did order one along with a maintenance manual. Should be here Monday.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:44 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Welcome to the madness.

You're getting some sound advice from 8VETTE7. He's helped a lot of folks here in the past.

Btw, just so you won't be wasting your time looking, there are no lights on either the headlight/cruise-control OR wiper stalks themselves. Strictly drive-by-feel at night time, but you'll get used to them in no time.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:01 PM
theoldmusicman
Advanced

Thanks Lonestar. That answers that question about the lights in the stems. No if I can just figure out why the horn doesn't honk, the drivers seat that won't go back. and why the memory buttons (or the easy entry feature) won't work. That one is probably related to the fact that the seat won't go back. Someone told me that there was an easy way to remove the bottom seat so you could get at the motors and connectors but I haven't figured that out yet.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:08 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by theoldmusicman
Thanks Lonestar. That answers that question about the lights in the stems. No if I can just figure out why the horn doesn't honk, the drivers seat that won't go back. and why the memory buttons (or the easy entry feature) won't work. That one is probably related to the fact that the seat won't go back. Someone told me that there was an easy way to remove the bottom seat so you could get at the motors and connectors but I haven't figured that out yet.
Spend a little quality time with your FSM. Seat removal is not that difficult if it comes to it.
You may just have some fuse issues to resolve though, so.

Good luck
Old 06-21-2013, 06:49 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by theoldmusicman
The seat is held in by 4 nuts on threaded studs. However, if the seat won't move enough to allow access with a wrench, it could get VERY tricky. IIRC, the hex on these nuts is 15MM.

The memory button malfunction might be a problem with the wiring connector that feeds into the door. If you pull back on the accordion between the door and cowl of the car, you can look for frayed wires/corroded terminals.

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2013, 12:09 AM
theoldmusicman
Advanced

OK thanks for all the help. I check all the fuses in the inside box but could not find a blown one so I've narrowed the seat problem to the switch or something in the motor/gears/connectors under the seat. I'll try and check that out this weekend.

Ran the diagnostics and found one relating to the horn: B2527 horn relay circuit. That's probably why the horn doesn't work.

Found several other codes also;
b2587 column lock/unlock drive a
b2592 column lock/unlock drive b
b2723 pass-key detection circuit

Now let me ask a stupid question that I should have asked already. I was assuming that since I have the Memory buttons on the arm rest that I have the Memory option. I noticed that when going through the Option in the DIC that I do not have an option for Easy Entry. Does that mean that I do not have the memory option even though I have the memory buttons??
Old 06-22-2013, 08:55 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
According to the owners manual the EASY ENTRY option only exists if your car is equipped with memory. Keep in mind that you own a 16 year old car and it's anyone's guess what is original and what has been replaced over those 16 years.....

....Clear the codes, drive the car a bit and then re-pull the codes and see what returns. What returns is what needs attention.....
True, but if the glove box door is at least original, the list of the car's original RPOs might still be attached to the inside of it.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:18 PM
theoldmusicman
Advanced

I did reset the codes. I'll drive it for a day or two and check them again.
You were right 8vette7. The code sheet was on the bottom of the cover for the left rear storage. It did not come with the memory option. So much for that. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Get notified of new replies

To c5 questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: c5 questions