Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Which Direction?

Old 06-20-2013, 02:57 AM
Aussie Vet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Which Direction?

Decided i will to have to do something about this valve guide issue, but undecided on which direction.

Currently going between:

Selling it and buying a ZR1..... most expensive option.

OR

Pulling the stock heads and just changing to bronze valve guides and re-using stock valves if all is well with them, if not, titanium and SS as everyone on here recommends....... Cheapest option.

OR

Buying a new set of aftermarket heads..... Either PRC 265's or RHS Pro elite both with titanium intake and exhaust valves.

As i live in Australia, shipping costs on the heads is insane, but new heads eliminate any GM factory issues so may be worth it, or will just new bronze guides on stock heads eliminate this issue also?

Any recommendations?
Car is 08, 9000miles , only issue a broken muffler baffle.
Driven only on weekends....... but driven hard.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:29 AM
lilredvette05
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just have my stock castings redone by wcch or similar if money was an option. If money is not that big of an issue and finding a nice ZR1 in your price is then I'd get aftermarket heads. If none of the above is an issue.... Well ZR1 it would be for me
Old 06-20-2013, 04:59 AM
Aussie Vet
Racer

Getting heads done by WCCH is not really an option as i would have the car down for way too long with shipping my heads over and then back again, hence the new heads.

Actually getting tired of maintaining the black paint on the Z, so a white ZR1 is what i would like, but justifying the cost is the hard part.

New heads is the choice in the middle, but.......
Old 06-20-2013, 06:33 AM
AussieZ06
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in the same position mate!!

2 options:
1. Open her up and see if guides are in tolerance
2. Have fun, wait till the donk (engine) goes bang, then install a monster built LS7
Old 06-20-2013, 07:34 AM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

You know your not making sense here. If you even think about a ZR1 you can afford faster shipping. If you just want new PRC's which is the way I went, your still paying shipping here. I do understand the absolutely impossible ideal of owning any black car. You could have the car painted much cheaper than an R1. I mean no offence here, I just find problems with your post. Please explain...
Old 06-20-2013, 09:05 AM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 905 Likes on 569 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Fixing your heads is really not a big deal. What's involved is basically a thorough valve job with new ex valves included if necessary or if it makes you feel better about reliability. I'm sure there are plenty of shops in Oz who can handle it for about the same cost as a set of Michelins.

Good luck and enjoy your car!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:49 AM
Aussie Vet
Racer

Originally Posted by JwT
You know your not making sense here. If you even think about a ZR1 you can afford faster shipping. If you just want new PRC's which is the way I went, your still paying shipping here. I do understand the absolutely impossible ideal of owning any black car. You could have the car painted much cheaper than an R1. I mean no offence here, I just find problems with your post. Please explain...
Just trying to work out the best way to go thats all, i dont need faster shipping if i get new heads as i wont open it up until they arrive, so no down time with the car. Faster shipping would only help with WCCH heads, but then there is two costs of shipping... me shipping heads to them, and then return shipping....
If i loved the colour and was certain of keeping the car, then no hassles spending the dollars on new heads, but since i was getting tired of the black, that is what is making think twice.
Sell it and get ZR...... most expensive
get new heads.....moderate price
or the cheapest option just do guides etc on stock heads locally.
Also, I would rather buy a new car than paint my Z.

sorry for any confusion.

How do you like the PRC's
Old 06-21-2013, 03:55 AM
Aussie Vet
Racer

Whats everyones thoughts on RHS LS7 Pro Elite heads with titanium intake and exhaust valves... many here use them?
Old 06-21-2013, 11:28 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

I'd do the heads but I can't afford a ZR1 either. I know the PRC heads get a lot of good reviews. Don't know anything about the RHS heads.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:49 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

Worth it? My choice was: - improve my low, low mile 08 Z or spend $40,000 for a ZR1 upgrade. I spent $8k vs. $40. Did PRC's, mild cam, intake, tune, ATI, Trunnions etc.... Just couldn't justify the $40k for the top dog 'today'. IN a few years, it will be forgotton as the top dog just like the older ZR1's are. Many won't believe it but it will be true.

Last edited by RedZ4me; 06-21-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:51 AM
EvilZ51
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I love my PRC 265's.

If money isn't an issue ZR1, pulley, tune, exhaust.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:41 PM
crf538
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you could buy a set of used heads over here and have then shipped directly to wcch. then after you get them sell yours.

but if a zr1 is an option id take that route
Old 06-21-2013, 02:53 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Get the Zr1
Old 06-21-2013, 03:28 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

why not just get em machined and valves done in aus? theres heaps of places that can do. freight from from usa to oz on a set of heads wud only be 200-300. im from brisbane n live in miami and freight **** all the time back home
Old 06-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Aussie Vet
Racer

Originally Posted by croatbob
why not just get em machined and valves done in aus? theres heaps of places that can do. freight from from usa to oz on a set of heads wud only be 200-300. im from brisbane n live in miami and freight **** all the time back home
Plenty of places to do it, but since not dealing with this issue before, would they fully correct the problem? .... I would rather buy new PRC's and have peace of mind, than deal with someone over here.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We don't know what the problem is. Most likely a simple rebuild by a quality shop will fix it, but that's a most likely... not a for sure.

Problem with the aftermarket stuff is the valvetrain stability at higher RPM... above 6700 or so, based on recent tests (you've probably seen the thread). If your car doesn't see any track use then you'd probably be okay with the PRC's, altho one member here recently busted a spring on a set of those.

Personally I don't think you can go wrong just rebuilding the original heads with original parts (replacing worn items as needed, probably replacing all the exhaust valves since there is an updated GM version), but that is a minority opinion around here.

I assume you have checked your current valve guides and found them in need of replacement? If not, I'd do that first . . . . . odds are that if you have no unusual wear then you have no worries. Mate

ZR1's have been reported to have issues with valve guides on the intake side. . . .

Get notified of new replies

To Which Direction?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Which Direction?