Sponsored by:

Is a c7 a good match for me?

Old 06-19-2013, 10:02 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a c7 a good match for me?

Hello,
I am new to the corvette world, but I am an avid car enthusiast,and am very seriously considering a stingray corvette(c7) . I am a college student and was advised by my friends that an automatic would make things simpler, but for some reason I just want to get the manual.You might not believe me, but I chose the manual transmission because it will make my life miserable when commuting. I want my car to have personality. I believe that a manual transmission optioned car serves this purpose. I think that putting an auto on a vette is like "castrating" the car. I think that in the future, I would like the car more because of this misery.English is not my first language, so sorry if there are any mistakes.
Thanks

Last edited by ieem; 06-19-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 PM
evilmonkey
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A C7 is not a good match for you.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:12 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Thank you for your input
Old 06-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

Originally Posted by evilmonkey
A C7 is not a good match for you.
Why?
Old 06-19-2013, 10:29 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Why?
That's his opinion. I assumed that he would give reasons, but oh well
Good car, though.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:31 PM
evilmonkey
Pro

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Why?
Did you read the post? The title asks if a c7 is right for him, and then rambles on about how he wants a manual to make his commute miserable, and likens an auto trans to a castrated car.... makes sense to you huh?

The real question could be lost in the translation but I doubt it...
Old 06-19-2013, 10:36 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Did you read the post? The title asks if a c7 is right for him, and then rambles on about how he wants a manual to make his commute miserable, and likens an auto trans to a castrated car.... makes sense to you huh?

Thank you. I might have been somewhat melodramatic by my comparison. By miserable, I mean engaging. Its like being nostalgic towards taking care of children, sure they are annoying, but from this "misery" comes satisfaction. I hope I made sense this time
Sorry if I came out as being pompous or arrogant, I'm really not.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 592 Likes on 219 Posts

You must drive an automatic.

OP, The C7 is perfect for you. Automatic cars are boring, especially during traffic and long distances.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:41 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Welcome and good luck deciding what options suit you best.

I'll assume your translation to English is off.

I believe what your trying to say is that you are looking for an engaging and involvement that a manual 7 speed rev matching can offer you.

Good luck
Old 06-19-2013, 10:42 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stingray23

OP, The C7 is perfect for you. Automatic cars are boring, especially during traffic and long distances.
Thanks. What does OP mean again ??
Old 06-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ieem
Thanks. What does OP mean again ??
OP means original poster, meaning you.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:46 PM
ieem
Intermediate

OP means original poster, meaning you.
w\Were you sarcastic by any means when you referred to stop-and-go traffic? Manuals are "said" to be cumbersome in such circumstances.
Thanks again !
Old 06-19-2013, 10:48 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Default I'll chime in!

My first Vette was 1984 C4 which I bought in 1985. My cousin in Houston owned one and I loved the car, and when I had the opportunity to purchase one, I did. I was a college student at Texas A&M. As I recall, at the time, there were only five C4 vettes in the Bryan/College Station area, so the car got too much attention. I used to get asked out constantly. Girls would leave notes with phone numbers on othe window, etc.. At first it was fun with all the attention, but soon after, it started to get somewhat annoying.

My point - owning a new generation Vette will put you in a somewhat similar situation I was in. Too much attention may not always mean a good thing. Now you go decide if the C7 is a good match for you.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:49 PM
evilmonkey
Pro

My current C6 is an auto and my C7 order is a manual, though I'm not sure how one could conclude the C7 is perfect for someone because they prefer manual to auto.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:54 PM
evilmonkey
Pro

Thank you. I might have been somewhat melodramatic by my comparison. By miserable, I mean engaging. Its like being nostalgic towards taking care of children, sure they are annoying, but from this "misery" comes satisfaction. I hope I made sense this time
Sorry if I came out as being pompous or arrogant, I'm really not.
engage makes more sense and I agree. my current c6 is an auto and I'm bored with it so i'm ordering my c7 with a manual.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:54 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zhopper05
My first Vette was 1984 C4 which I bought in 1985. My cousin in Houston owned one and I loved the car, and when I had the opportunity to purchase one, I did. I was a college student at Texas A&M. As I recall, at the time, there were only five C4 vettes in the Bryan/College Station area, so the car got too much attention. I used to get asked out constantly. Girls would leave notes with phone numbers on othe window, etc.. At first it was fun with all the attention, but soon after, it started to get somewhat annoying.

My point - owning a new generation Vette will put you in a somewhat similar situation I was in. Too much attention may not always mean a good thing. Now you go decide if the C7 is a good match for you.
To be frank, I am not a social person. Honestly, I am a nerd, so being asked out is not an issue. I chose this car because I am attracted to it
I appreciate low weight, high output cars. I could similarly have chosen a porsche ... but I want a car that wont drive itself, so to say. I like the non-intrusive simplicity of american cars.

Last edited by ieem; 06-19-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

w\Were you sarcastic by any means when you referred to stop-and-go traffic? Manuals are "said" to be cumbersome in such circumstances.
Thanks again !
I was not being sarcastic. I like driving a manual in traffic because it keeps me involved and on my toes. An automatic to me is boring. period.

My current C6 is an auto and my C7 order is a manual, though I'm not sure how one could conclude the C7 is perfect for someone because they prefer manual to auto.
Hence why you said what you said. The Corvette has never been a smooth all around performer. What I mean by that is that its not a BMW or other luxury car. Its way more engaging and has personality from the loud exhaust to the click of the tranny to the shaking of the engine at rest. I love that about the vette. The OP is looking for a more engaging experience. The manual will help with that.

Get notified of new replies

To Is a c7 a good match for me?

Old 06-19-2013, 10:59 PM
ieem
Intermediate

I was not being sarcastic. I like driving a manual in traffic because it keeps me involved and on my toes. An automatic to me is boring. period.

Hence why you said what you said. The Corvette has never been a smooth all around performer. What I mean by that is that its not a BMW. Its way more engaging and has personality from the loud exhaust to the click of the tranny to the shaking of the engine at rest. I love that about the vette. The OP is looking for a more engaging experience. The manual will help with that.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear/read !!!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:43 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Actually this is not a bad question. I face the same issue, aside from the fact that I haven't been in college for the past 40+ years.

I'm choosing the manual over the auto because I don't like auto slush boxes. I like the DCT or robotic clutch boxes but not cars with torque converters. And, I do believe that manual boxes have more personality than slush boxes.

Yes, a manual is a pain in stop and go traffic. But, it makes up for it when there isn't traffic.

Manual for me.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:19 AM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sin City
Actually this is not a bad question. I face the same issue, aside from the fact that I haven't been in college for the past 40+ years.

I'm choosing the manual over the auto because I don't like auto slush boxes. I like the DCT or robotic clutch boxes but not cars with torque converters. And, I do believe that manual boxes have more personality than slush boxes.

Yes, a manual is a pain in stop and go traffic. But, it makes up for it when there isn't traffic.

Manual for me.
I wanted to see what corvette enthusiasts think. I believe a dog box transmission is probably going to be the best of both worlds, but its too "grindy" and loud.Sure, its a "true" clutch-less manual, but No Thanks
Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is a c7 a good match for me?