Sponsored by:

I hated the C7 rear end....but it is starting to grow on me

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 02:21 PM
herman2p
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I hated the C7 rear end....but it is starting to grow on me

I am wondering, are there other former or current C6 owners who disliked the C7 rear end styling but are starting to warm up to it? It took a few months, but I am starting to like the overall look of the car more and more each time I see it. I have not seen one in person, but the pictures are starting to look better to me.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

This ain't gonna end pretty....
Old 06-17-2013, 02:26 PM
mfile2000
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a C6, but I did go to NYC just to see that car. I think when you see them in person on the car, you won't think the round lights would work on the C7. I bet if they could have saved them, they would...but that's just speculation.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I didn't like the styling of the C6 when I owned a C5, but in time I began to like the C6 styling. It grew on me and when I had the C5 and C6 next to each other I liked the C6 more. It just takes time. I dont like the rears of the C7 because the lights are like most chevy's right now, but who knows in time I might like it too.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:31 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I keep patiently waiting for that to happen as often times familiarity will soften one's opinion.

While I remain most impressed and supportive of the overall design of the C7, the rear end still strikes me as a collision of too many conflicting design elements, textures, finishes and colors. To me, it's as if they tried to darn hard to make it different.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:36 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,431 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
This ain't gonna end pretty....

and ibtl.

I look forward to seeing C7 in person.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:40 PM
BettermostCorvette
Racer

The problem I have with the rear end is its not beautiful like the rest of the car is. Its a let down when you walk around to the rear end. They could have done so much better. For me its just not the rear bumper area and tail lamps, its also the hatch and hatch glass it reminds me of a Rambler Marlin.

click here:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwBA&dur=9154

Last edited by BettermostCorvette; 06-17-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by BettermostCorvette
the hatch and hatch glass it reminds me of a Rambler Marlin.
the Marlin ???

you must be an old dude - like me - to remember that car

I agree the rear hatch glass looks like some design engineer said "cut a hole there and fit some sorta glass window."
The rest of the car is artistic though.

I could give you a list of the the things I didn't like about the C3... though I owned four of them.

I could give you a list of things I didn't like about the C4, though I owned one of them.

I could give you a list of things I didn't like about the C5; though I owned two of them.

But the overall satisfaction of owning those Corvettes - far outweigh the negatives I had. That's why I am on an enthusiast board - that's specific to the Corvette.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:48 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

I have always liked it, and will own one that looks just like this by the end of the year.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by herman2p
I am wondering, are there other former or current C6 owners who disliked the C7 rear end styling but are starting to warm up to it? It took a few months, but I am starting to like the overall look of the car more and more each time I see it. I have not seen one in person, but the pictures are starting to look better to me.
Dont worry, you wont be alone.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

I think the rear of the car looks better with darker colors. The big black diffuser looks to be a little much.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:48 PM
herman2p
Instructor

Originally Posted by michaelinmech

While I remain most impressed and supportive of the overall design of the C7, the rear end still strikes me as a collision of too many conflicting design elements, textures, finishes and colors. To me, it's as if they tried to darn hard to make it different.
That is exactly how I felt when I first saw it. However, over the last month or so the rear started to fit the look of the car better for me. I am now looking forward to seeing it in person. When will it be in dealerships?
Old 06-17-2013, 04:03 PM
LouB57
Racer

Originally Posted by BettermostCorvette
The problem I have with the rear end is its not beautiful like the rest of the car is
In your opinion... We do not all share that opinion..
Old 06-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Big Hammer
Instructor

The back of the Daytona Prototype racers have a vaguely similar rear, with round lights. Corvettes have had round tail lights since the end of the C1 series. (I think '61 and me finishing high school.) I am fairly sure the next DPs will use the new lights. That is what is there, and I guess, like it or not, that is what there is. I just have to get used to them like the rest of the C7 buyers.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

I've shown photos of the C7 I have on order to a bunch of people. The photos are basically screen captures of the images shown on the Chevy Corvette website, where you can change the color and wheel type.

I start with the two front views, and then when I show the rear view it always gets the biggest reaction: "WOW". And believe me, that's "WOW" in a very positive way.

Bottom line is that the Corvette C7 has a sweet ***, I have a funny feeling that lots of ranting "round lights" people will change their tune over the next few months, just like the OP. For many of us it was love at first sight.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:40 PM
HollywoodC7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -CM-
I have always liked it, and will own one that looks just like this by the end of the year.

YUP.//////that picture nails it....perfect
Old 06-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Hammer
The back of the Daytona Prototype racers have a vaguely similar rear, with round lights. Corvettes have had round tail lights since the end of the C1 series. (I think '61 and me finishing high school.) I am fairly sure the next DPs will use the new lights. That is what is there, and I guess, like it or not, that is what there is. I just have to get used to them like the rest of the C7 buyers.
They were round, except when they were square or oval.

Get notified of new replies

To I hated the C7 rear end....but it is starting to grow on me

Old 06-17-2013, 04:54 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Just the opposite for me - I started out liking the C7 rear end the first time I saw it, and then I began to dislike it in the following months, the more I saw of it. Isn't that opposite of what's supposed to happen?

I actually like the square taillights - it's the mascara around them and the overly-dramatic square-skirt body lines that I'm finding I like less and less. It's not enough to prevent me from eventually buying one, and it does look better in the darker colors. I love the car from all other angles.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I like the rear end. If I would change anything it would be the Corvette script in the center. I would make it smaller and place it on the right side below the reflector like the C6. I read earlier the design team waited until the last minute to decide on where to place the script.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:17 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS
I think the rear of the car looks better with darker colors. The big black diffuser looks to be a little much.

The dark colors help hide the lower rear black plastic area.

I still cannot help thinking when I see it from the rear it looks like a wide faced cat looking at me.

Quick Reply: I hated the C7 rear end....but it is starting to grow on me